- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Are p53 Antibodies a Diagnostic Indicator for Patients with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma? Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- Yang, Zhi-Cheng (Department of Oral Maxillary Facial Surgery, Yantai Affiliated Hospital of Binzhou Medical University) ;
- Ling, Li (Department of Public Health, Binzhou Medical University) ;
- Xu, Zhi-Wei (Department of Medical Quality Control, 302 PLA hospital) ;
- Sui, Xiao-Dong (Department of School of Dentistry, Binzhou Medical University) ;
- Feng, Shuang (Department of School of Dentistry, Binzhou Medical University) ;
- Zhang, Jun (Department of Scientific Research and Teaching, Yantai Affiliated Hospital of Binzhou Medical University)
- Published : 2016.02.05
Background: P53 has been reported to be involved with tumorigenesis and has also been implicated as a significant biomarker in oral squamous cell carcinoma(OSCC). However, the diagnostic value of p53 antibodies remains controversial; hence, we comprehensively and quantitatively assessed the potential in the present systematic review. Materials and Methods: A comprehensive search was performed using PubMed and Embase, up to October 31, 2014, without language restriction. Studies were assessed for quality using QUADAS (quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy). The positive likelihood ratio (PLR) and negative likelihood ratio (NLR) were pooled separately and compared with overall accuracy measures using diagnostic odds ratios (DORs) and symmetric summary receiver operating characteristic (SROC) curves. Results: Of 150 studies initially identified, 7 eligible regarding serum p53 antibodies met the inclusion criteria. Some 85.7% (6/7) were of relatively high quality (QUADAS
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province
- Cai HY, Wang XH, Tian Y, et al (2008). Changes of serum p53 antibodies and clinical significance of radiotherapy for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 14, 4082-6. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.14.4082
- Cawley HM, Meltzer SJ, De Benedetti VM, et al (1998). Anti-p53 antibodies in patients with Barrett's esophagus or esophageal carcinoma can predate cancer diagnosis. Gastroenterol, 115, 19-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(98)70360-9
- Clarke M, Oxman A (2003). Cochrane reviewers' handbook 4.2. 0 [updated March 2003]. Cochrane Library, 2.
- Crew KD, Neugut AI (2004). Epidemiology of upper gastrointestinal malignancies. Seminars Oncol, Elsevier, 450-64.
- Deeks JJ, Macaskill P, Irwig L (2005). The performance of tests of publication bias and other sample size effects in systematic reviews of diagnostic test accuracy was assessed. J Clin Epidemiol, 58, 882-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2005.01.016
- DerSimonian R, Laird N (1986). Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials, 7, 177-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- Deville WL, Buntinx F, Bouter LM, et al (2002). Conducting systematic reviews of diagnostic studies: didactic guidelines. BMC Med Res Methodol, 2, 9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-2-9
- Dickersin K, Scherer R, Lefebvre C (1994). Systematic reviews: identifying relevant studies for systematic reviews. BMJ, 309, 1286-91. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.309.6964.1286
- Dinnes J, Deeks J, Kirby J, et al (2005). A methodological review of how heterogeneity has been examined in systematic reviews of diagnostic test accuracy. Health Technology Assessment, 9, 1-113.
- Egger M, Davey Smith G, Schneider M, et al (1997). Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ, 315, 629-34. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.315.7109.629
- Gallagher EJ (1998). Clinical utility of likelihood ratios. Ann Emerg Med, 31, 391-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-0644(98)70352-X
- Glas AS, Lijmer JG, Prins MH, et al (2003a). The diagnostic odds ratio: a single indicator of test performance. J Clin Epidemiol, 56, 1129-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(03)00177-X
- Glas AS, Lijmer JG, Prins MH, et al (2003b). The diagnostic odds ratio: a single indicator of test performance. J Clin Epidemiol, 56, 1129-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(03)00177-X
- Gu P, Huang G, Chen Y, et al (2007). Diagnostic utility of pleural fluid carcinoembryonic antigen and CYFRA 21-1 in patients with pleural effusion: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Lab Anal, 21, 398-405. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.20208
- Hagiwara N, Onda M, Miyashita M, et al (2000). Detection of circulating anti-p53 antibodies in esophageal cancer patients. J Nihon Med Sch, 67, 110-7. https://doi.org/10.1272/jnms.67.110
- Hammel P, Boissier B, Chaumette MT, et al (1997). Detection and monitoring of serum p53 antibodies in patients with colorectal cancer. Gut, 40, 356-61. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.40.3.356
- Honest H, Khan K (2002). Reporting of measures of accuracy in systematic reviews of diagnostic literature. Bmc Health Servzz Res, 2, 4. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-2-4
- Jones CM, Athanasiou T (2005). Summary receiver operating characteristic curve analysis techniques in the evaluation of diagnostic tests. Ann Thorac Surg, 79, 16-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2004.09.040
- Kato H, Nakajima M, Fukuchi M, et al (2005). Serum p53 antibodies in drainage blood from the azygos vein in patients with esophageal carcinoma. Anticancer Res, 25, 3231-5.
- Kaur J, Srivastava A, Ralhan R (1997). Serum p53 antibodies in patients with oral lesions: correlation with p53/HSP70 complexes. Int J Cancer, 74, 609-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19971219)74:6<609::AID-IJC9>3.0.CO;2-Y
- Khan KS, ter Riet G, Glanville J, et al 2001. Undertaking systematic reviews of research on effectiveness: CRD's guidance for carrying out or commissioning reviews, NHS centre for reviews and dissemination.
- Kozlowski M, Kovalchuk O, Niklinski J, et al (2001). Circulating anti-p53 antibodies in esophageal cancer patients. Folia Histochem Cytobiol, 39, 173-4.
- Lijmer JG, Bossuyt PM, Heisterkamp SH (2002). Exploring sources of heterogeneity in systematic reviews of diagnostic tests. Stat Med, 21, 1525-37. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.1185
- Looi K, Megliorino R, Shi FD, et al (2006). Humoral immune response to p16, a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor in human malignancies. Oncol Rep, 16, 1105-10.
- Lubin R, Zalcman G, Bouchet L, et al (1995). Serum p53 antibodies as early markers of lung cancer. Nat Med, 1, 701-2. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0795-701
- Martin J, HTA NC-oCf 2006. Systematic review and evaluation of methods of assessing urinary incontinence, Gray Publishing.
- Megliorino R, Shi FD, Peng XX, et al (2005). Autoimmune response to anti-apoptotic protein survivin and its association with antibodies to p53 and c-myc in cancer detection. Cancer Detect Prev, 29, 241-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2005.03.002
- Moskal TL, Huang S, Ellis LM, et al (1995). Serum levels of transforming growth factor alpha in gastrointestinal cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 4, 127-31.
- Muller M, Meyer M, Schilling T, et al (2006). Testing for anti-p53 antibodies increases the diagnostic sensitivity of conventional tumor markers. Int J Oncol, 29, 973-80.
- Ralhan R, Arora S, Chattopadhyay TK, et al (2000). Circulating p53 antibodies, p53 gene mutational profile and product accumulation in esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma in India. Int J Cancer, 85, 791-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(20000315)85:6<791::AID-IJC9>3.0.CO;2-K
- Samantaray S, Sharma R, Chattopadhyaya T, et al (2004). Increased expression of MMP-2 and MMP-9 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 130, 37-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-003-0500-4
- Shimada H, Nabeya Y, Okazumi S, et al (2002). Prognostic significance of serum p53 antibody in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Surgery, 132, 41-7. https://doi.org/10.1067/msy.2002.125307
- Shimada H, Ochiai T, Nomura F (2003). Titration of serum p53 antibodies in 1,085 patients with various types of malignant tumors: a multiinstitutional analysis by the Japan p53 Antibody Research Group. Cancer, 97, 682-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11092
- Shimada H, Takeda A, Arima M, et al (2000). Serum p53 antibody is a useful tumor marker in superficial esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer, 89, 1677-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20001015)89:8<1677::AID-CNCR5>3.0.CO;2-9
- Smidt N, Deeks J, Moore T (2011). Guide to the contents of a Cochrane review and protocol. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Diagnostic Test Accuracy.
- Sobti RC, Parashar K (1998). A study on p53 protein and anti-p53 antibodies in the sera of patients with oesophageal cancer. Mutat Res, 422, 271-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0027-5107(98)00207-3
- Sousa MR, Ribeiro ALP (2009). Systematic review and metaanalysis of diagnostic and prognostic studies: a tutorial. Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, 92, 241-51. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0066-782X2009000300013
- Trivers GE, Cawley HL, DeBenedetti VM, et al (1995). Anti-p53 antibodies in sera of workers occupationally exposed to vinyl chloride. J Natl Cancer Inst, 87, 1400-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/87.18.1400
- Vaupel P, Mayer A (2007). Hypoxia in cancer: significance and impact on clinical outcome. Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, 26, 225-39. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-007-9055-1
- Walter SD (2002). Properties of the summary receiver operating characteristic (SROC) curve for diagnostic test data. Stat Med, 21, 1237-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.1099
- Wang MH, Li YP, Wang XD, et al (2004). [Correlation between serum p53 antibody and chemosensitivity in patient with esophageal cancer]. Ai Zheng, 23, 467-70.
- Whiting P, Rutjes AW, Reitsma JB, et al (2003). The development of QUADAS: a tool for the quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy included in systematic reviews. BMC Med Res Methodol, 3, 25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-3-25
- Wu M, Mao C, Chen Q, et al (2010). Serum p53 protein and anti-p53 antibodies are associated with increased cancer risk: a case-control study of 569 patients and 879 healthy controls. Mol Biol Rep, 37, 339-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-009-9744-7
- Zamora J, Abraira V, Muriel A, et al (2006). Meta-DiSc: a software for meta-analysis of test accuracy data. BMC Med Res Methodol, 6, 31. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-6-31