- Volume 36 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Aging Time on Physicochemical Meat Quality and Sensory Property of Hanwoo Bull Beef
- Cho, Soohyun ;
- Kang, Sun Moon ;
- Seong, Pilnam ;
- Kang, Geunho ;
- Kim, Yunseok ;
- Kim, Jinhyung ;
- Lee, Seounghwan ;
- Kim, Sidong
- Received : 2015.10.16
- Accepted : 2016.01.04
- Published : 2016.02.28
This study was conducted to investigate the meat quality and sensory properties of 12 major cuts from 10 Hanwoo bulls (25-32 mon of age) after they were aged at 2℃ for 0, 7, 14, and 21 d. Protein content (%) was between 19.17 and 22.50%. Intramuscular fat content ranged from 2.79 to 8.39%. The collagen content of the chuck roll, chuck tender, and short plate muscles was higher (1.97-2.04%) than that of the striploin muscles (1.48%) (p<0.05). CIE lightness (L*) values increased with an increase in aging days for tenderloin, loin, chuck roll, oyster blade, short plate, top sirloin, and eye of round muscles (p<0.05). Most muscles, except the short plate, showed no significant changes in redness CIE (a*) and yellowness (b*) color values during aging. The tenderloin, loin, and striploin showed significantly higher water holding capacity (58.60-62.06%) than that of chuck roll and short plate (53.86-57.07%) muscles (p<0.05). The Warner-Bratzler shear force values of most muscles decreased significantly as the aging period increased (p<0.05), exception the tenderloin. The chuck tender muscles showed the highest cooking loss, whereas tenderloin muscle showed the lowest (p<0.05). The tenderloin muscle had the longest sarcomere length (SL) (3.67-3.86 μm) and the bottom round muscle had the shortest SL (2.21-2.35 μm) (p<0.05). In the sensory evaluation, tenderness and overall-likeness scores of most muscles increased with increase in aging days. The tenderloin and oyster blade showed relatively higher tenderness and overall-likeness values than did the other muscles during the aging period. No significant differences were noted in juiciness and flavor-likeness scores among muscles and aging days.
Hanwoo bull beef;meat quality;sensory property
- Shackelford, S. D., Wheeler, T. L., and Koohmaraie, M. (1995) Relationship between shear force and trained sensory panel tenderness ratings of 10 major muscles from Bos indicus and Bos Taurus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 73, 3333-3340. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73113333x
- Sitz, B. M., Calkins, C. R., Feuz, D. M., Umberger, W. J. and Eskridge, K. M. (2006) Consumer sensory acceptance and value of wet-aged and dry-aged beef steaks. J. Anim. Sci. 84, 1221-1226. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.8451221x
- Smith , R. D., Nicholson, K. L., Nicholson, J. D. W., Hariss, K. B., Miller, R. K., Griffin, D. B. and Savell, J. W. (2008) Dry versus wet aging of beef: Retail cutting yield and consumer palatability evaluations of steaks from US Choice and US Selct short loins. Meat Sci. 79, 631-639. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.10.028
- Wheeler, T. L., Shackelford, S. D., and Koohmaraie. M. (2000) Variation in proteolysis, sarcomere length, collagen content, and tenderness among major pork muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 78, 958-965. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.784958x
- Von Seggern, D. D., Calkins, C. R., Johnson, D. D., Brickler, J. E., and Gwartney. B. L. (2005) Muscle profiling: Characterizing the muscles of the beef chuck and round. Meat Sci. 71, 39-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.010
- Young, O. A. and Braggins, T. J. (1993) Tenderness of ovine semi-membranosus. Is collagen concentration or solubility critical factor? Meat Sci. 35, 213-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(93)90051-I
- Mennecke, B. E., Townsend, A. M., Hayes, D. J., and Lonergan, S. M. (2007) A study of factors that influence consumer attitudes toward beef products using the conjoint market analysis tool. J. Anim. Sci. 85, 2639-2659. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-495
- Morgan, J. B., Wheeler, T. L, Koohmaraie, M., Savell, J. W., and Crouse, J. D. (1993) Meat tenderness and the calpain proteolytic system in longissimus muscle of young bulls and steers. J. Anim. Sci. 71, 1471-1476. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7161471x
- Nishimura, T., Hottori, A., and Takahashi, K. (1999) Structural changes in intramuscular connective tissue during the fattening of Japanese black cattle. Effect of marbling on beef tenderization. J. Anim. Sci. 77, 93-104. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.77193x
- SAS (2010) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 9.2, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Peachey, B. M., Purchas, R. W., and Duizer, L. M. (2002) Relationships between sensory and objective measures of meat tenderness of beef m. longissimus thoracis from bulls and steers. Meat Sci. 60, 211-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00123-1
- Platter, W. J., Tatum, J. D., Belk, K. E., Koontz, S. R., Chapman, P. L., and Smith, G. C. (2005) Effects of marbling and shear force on consumers, willingness to pay for beef strip loin steaks. J. Anim. Sci. 83, 890-899. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.834890x
- Rhee, M. S., Wheeler, T. L., Shackelford, S. D., and Koohmaraie, M. (2004) Variation in palatability and biochemical traits within and among eleven beef muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 82, 534-550. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.822534x
- Shackelford, S. D., Wheeler, T. L., Meade, M. K, Reagan, J. O., Byrnes, B. L., and Koohmaraie, M. (2001) Consumer impressions of Tender Select beef. J. Anim. Sci. 79, 2605-2614. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.79102605x
- Jeremiah, L. E., Gibson, L. L., Aalhus, J. L., and Dungan, M. E. R. (2003a) Assessment of palatability attributes of the major beef muscle. Meat Sci. 65, 949-958. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00307-8
- Jeremiah, L. E., Dungan, M. E. R., Aalhus, J. L., and Gibson, L. L. (2003b) Assessment of the relationship between chemical components and palatability of major beef muscles and muscle groups. Meat Sci. 65, 1013-1019. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00309-1
- Judge, M. D., Aberle, E. D., Forrest, J. C., Hedrick, H. B., and Merkel, R. A. (1989) Properties of fresh meat. In: Principles of meat science, 2nd edition, Kendall Hunt Company, IA, pp. 128-130.
- KAPE (2014) Animal Products Grading Statistical Yearbook, Korea Institute for Animal Product's Quality Evaluation, Gunpo.
- Koohmaraie, M. (1994) Muscle proteinases and meat aging. Meat Sci. 36, 93-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90036-1
- Mach, N., Realini, C., Furnols, M. F., Celarde, A., and Devant, M. (2009) Effects of pre-pubertal Burdizzo castration on performance, carcass characteristics and meat quality from young Holstein bulls fed high-concentrate diets. Meat Sci. 81, 329-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.08.007
- Kristensen, L. and Purslow, P. P. (2001) The effect of ageing on the water-holding capacityof pork: Role of cytoskeletal proteins. Meat Sci. 58, 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00125-X
- Ledward, D. A. (1984) Thermal stability of connective tissue in meat and meat products. J. Sci. Food Agric. 35, 1262.
- Lomiwes., D., Farouk, M. M., Wu, G., and Young, O. A. (2014) The development of meat tenderness is likely to be compartmentalised by ultimate pH. Meat Sci. 96, 646-651. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.08.022
- Marino, R., Albenzio, M., della Malva, A., Santillo, A., Loizzo, P., and Sevi, A. (2013) Proteolytic pattern of myofibrillar protein and meat tenderness as affected by breed and aging time. Meat Sci. 95, 281-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.04.009
- Dikeman, M. E., Obuz, E., Gk, V., Akkaya, L., and Stroda, S. (2013) Effects of dry, vacuum and special bag aging; USDA quality grade; and end-point temperature on yields and eating quality of beef Longissimus lumborum steaks. Meat Sci. 94, 228-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.02.002
- Dransfield, E. (1994) Optimization of tenderization, aging, and tenderness. Meat Sci. 36, 105-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90037-X
- Flint, T. O. and Pickering, K. (1984) The histochemical estimation of connective tissue in meat and meat products. J. Sci. Food Agric. 35, 1263-1264.
- Gerrard, D. E., Jones, S. J., Aberle, E. D., Lemenager, R. P., Dikeman, M. A., and Judge, M. D. (1987) Collagen stability, testosterone secretion and tenderness in growing bulls and steers. J. Anim. Sci. 65, 1236-1242. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.6551236x
- Huff Lonergan, E., Zhang, W., and Lonergan, S. M. (2010) Biochemistry of postmortem muscle lessons on mechanisms of meat tenderization. Meat Sci. 86, 184-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.004
- Guignot, F., Touraille, C., Ouali, M., and Monin, G. (1993) Relationships between post-mortem pH changes and some traits of sensory quality in veal. Meat Sci. 37, 3133-3139.
- Honikel, K. O. (1998) Reference methods for the assessment of physical characteristics of meat. Meat Sci. 49, 447-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00034-5
- Huff Lonergan, E., Mitsuhashi, T., Beekman, D. D., Parrish, F. C., Jr., Olson, D. G., and Bobson, R. M. (1996) Proteolysis of specific muscle structural proteins by μ-calpain at low pH and temperature is similar to degradation in postmortem bovine muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 74, 993-1008. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.745993x
- Ilian, M. A., Morton, J. D., Kent, M. P., LeCouteur, C. E., Hickford, J., Cowley, R., and Bickerstaffe, R. (2001) Intermuscular variation in tenderness: Association with ubiquitous and muscle-specific calpains. J. Anim. Sci. 79, 122-132. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.791122x
- AOAC (2006) Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D.C., pp. 210-219.
- Arce, E. and Murillo, O. (2004) Efecto de la maduracion sobre la suavidad de la carne de animales cebuinos en pastoreo. Thesis. Alajuela (ITCR), Costa Rica: Escuela de Agronamia Instituto Tecnologico de Costa Rica.
- Brackebusch, S. A., McKeith, F. K., Carr, T. R., and McLaren, D. G. (1991) Relationship between longissimus composition and the composition of other major muscles of the beef carcass. J. Anim. Sci. 69, 631-640. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.692631x
- Brooks, J. C., Belew, J. B ., Griffin, D. B., Gwartney, B. L., Hale, D. S., Henning, W. R., Johnson, D. D., Morgan, J. B., Parrish, F. C., Reagan, J. O., and Savell, J. W. (2000) National beef tenderness survey 1998. J. Anim. Sci. 78, 1852-1860. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7871852x
- Crouse, J. D., Cross, H. R., and Seideman, S. C. (1985) Effects of sex condition, genotype, diet and carcass electrical stimulation on the collagen content and palatability of two bovine muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 60, 1228-1234. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.6051228x
- CIE (1986) Colorimetry. 2nd ed., Commission Internationale de I'Eclairage, Publication CIE No. 15.2. Vienna.
- Cross, H. R., West, R. L., and Dutson T. R. (1981) Comparison of methods for measuring sarcomere length in beef semitendinosus muscle. Meat Sci. 5, 261-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(81)90016-4
- Cross, H. R., Schanbacher, B. D., and Crouse, J. D. (1984) Sex, age and breed related changes in bovine testosterone and intramuscular collagen. Meat Sci. 10, 187-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(84)90021-4
- Dikeman, M. E., Reddy, G. B., Arthaud, V. H., Tuma, H. J., Koch, R. M., Mandigo, R. W., and Axe, J. B. (1986) Longissimus muscle quality, palatability and connective tissue histological characteristics of bulls and steers fed different energy levels and slaughtered at four ages. J. Anim. Sci. 63, 92-101. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.63192x
- Effects of self-carbon dioxide-generation material for active packaging on pH, water-holding capacity, meat color, lipid oxidation and microbial growth in beef during cold storage vol.97, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8223
- muscle and its relationships with intramuscular fat, shear force, and environmental factors vol.98, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2017-0064
- Genome wide association and gene enrichment analysis reveal membrane anchoring and structural proteins associated with meat quality in beef vol.20, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-019-5518-3
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 충남대학교