- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analyze of the interfacial stress in reinforced concrete beams strengthened with externally bonded CFRP plate
- Hadji, Lazreg (Universite Ibn Khaldoun) ;
- Daouadji, T. Hassaine (Universite Ibn Khaldoun) ;
- Meziane, M. Ait Amar (Universite Ibn Khaldoun) ;
- Bedia, E.A. Adda (Laboratoire des Materiaux & Hydrologie, Universite de Sidi Bel Abbes)
- Received : 2015.02.27
- Accepted : 2015.11.03
- Published : 2016.02.10
A theoretical method to predict the interfacial stresses in the adhesive layer of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with externally bonded carbon fiber-reinforced polymer (CFRP) plate is presented. The analysis provides efficient calculations for both shear and normal interfacial stresses in reinforced concrete beams strengthened with composite plates, and accounts for various effects of Poisson's ratio and Young's modulus of adhesive. Such interfacial stresses play a fundamental role in the mechanics of plated beams, because they can produce a sudden and premature failure. The analysis is based on equilibrium and deformations compatibility approach developed by Tounsi. In the present theoretical analysis, the adherend shear deformations are taken into account by assuming a parabolic shear stress through the thickness of both the reinforced concrete beam and bonded plate. The paper is concluded with a summary and recommendations for the design of the strengthened beam.
FRP composites;interfacial stresses;reinforced concrete beam;strengthening;adhesive
- Ameur, M., Daouadji, T.H., Abbes, B., Tounsi, A. and Adda, E.A. (2011), "Finite element analysis of interfacial stresses in steel beams strengthened with a bonded hygrothermal aged CFRP plate", Revue des composites et des materiaux advances, 21(2), 193-207.
- Attari, N., Amziane, S. and Chemrouk, M. (2012), "Flexural strengthening of concrete beams using CFRP, GFRP and hybrid FRP sheets", Construct. Build. Mater., 37, 746-757. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.07.052
- Boucif, G., Tounsi, A. and Adda Bedia, E.A. (2014), "The effect of shear deformation on interfacial stress analysis in plated beams under arbitrary loading", Int. J. Adhes. Adhes., 48, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2013.09.016
- Buyukozturk, O., Gunes, O. and Karaca, E. (2003), "Progress on understanding debonding problems in reinforced concrete and steel members strengthened using FRP composites", Construct. Build. Mater., 18, 9-19.
- Etman, E.E. and Beeby, A.W. (2000), "Experimental program and analytical study of bond stress distributions on a composite plate bonded to a reinforced RC beam", Cement Concrete Compos., 22(4), 281-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(00)00030-5
- Guenaneche, B., Tounsi, A. and Adda Bedia, E.A. (2014), "Effect of shear deformation on interfacial stress analysis in plated beams under arbitrary loading", Int. J. Adhes. Adhes., 48, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2013.09.016
- Herakovich, C.T. (1998), "Mechanics of fibrous composites", John Wiley & Sonc, Inc.
- Jones, R., Swamy, R.N. and Charif, A. (1988), "Plate separation and anchorage of reinforced concrete beams strengthened by epoxy-bonded steel plates", The Struct. Engr., 66(5/1), 85-94.
- Krour, B., Bernard, F. and Tounsi, A. (2013), "Fibers orientation optimization for concrete beam strengthened with a CFRP bonded plate: A coupled analytical-numerical investigation", Eng. Struct., 56, 218-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.008
- Meier, U. (1995), "Strengthening of structures using carbon fiber/epoxy composites", Construct. Build. Mater., 9(6), 341-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/0950-0618(95)00071-2
- Meier, U. (1997), "Post strengthening by continuous fiber laminates in Europe", Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Non-metallic (FRP) Reinforcement for Concrete Structures, Japan Concrete Institute, Sapporo, Japan, month, pp. 42-56.
- Meier, U., Deuring, M., Meier, H. and Schwegler, G. (1993), "Strengthening of structures with advanced composites", Alternative Materials for the Reinforcement and Prestressing of Concrete, (J.L. Clarke editor), Glasgow, Scotland, pp. 153-171.
- Mouring, S.E., Barton, J.R.O. and Simmons, D.K. (2001), "Reinforced concrete beams externally retrofitted with advanced composites", Adv. Compos. Mater., 10(2-3), 139-146. https://doi.org/10.1163/156855101753396618
- Quantrill, R.J. and Hollaway, L.C. (1998), "The flexural rehabilitation of reinforced concrete beams by the use of prestressed advanced composite plates", Compos. Sci. Technol., 58(8), 1259-1275. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(98)00002-5
- Smith, S.T. and Teng, J.G. (2001), "Interfacial stresses in plated RC beams", Eng. Struct., 23(7), 857-871. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00090-0
- Tounsi, A. (2006), "Improved theoretical solution for interfacial stresses in concrete beams strengthened with FRP plate", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 43(14-15), 4154-4174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.03.074
- Tounsi, A., Hassaine Daouadji, T., Benyoucef, S. and Adda, E.A. (2008), "Interfacial stresses in FRP-plated RC beams: Effect of adherend shear deformations", Int. J. Adhes. Adhes., 29(4), 343-351.
- Triantafillou, T.C. (1998), "A new possibility for the shear strengthening of concrete, masonry and wood", Compos. Sci. Technol., 58(8), 1285-1295. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(98)00017-7
- Tsai, M.Y., Oplinger, D.W. and Morton, J. (1998), "Improved theoretical solutions for adhesive lap joints", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 35(12), 1163-1185. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(97)00097-8
- Vilnay, O. (1988), "The analysis of reinforced concrete beams strengthened by epoxy bonded steel plates", Int. J. Cement Compos. Lightweight Concrete, 10(2), 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0262-5075(88)90033-4
- Xiang, K. and Wang, G.H. (2013), "Calculation of flexural strengthening of fire-damaged reinforced concrete beams with CFRP sheets", Procedia Eng., 52, 446-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2013.02.167
- Zhang, S.S. and Teng, J.G. (2013), "Interaction forces in RC beams strengthened with near-surface mounted rectangular bars and strips", Composites: Part B, 45(1), 697-709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2012.09.038