- Volume 20 Issue 2
This paper evaluates the seismic response of three dimensional steel space buildings using the spread plastic hinge approach. A numerical study was carried out in which a sample steel space building was selected for pushover analysis and incremental nonlinear dynamic time history analysis. For the nonlinear analysis, three earthquake acceleration records were selected to ensure compatibility with the design spectrum defined in the Turkish Earthquake Code. The interstorey drift, capacity curve, maximum responses and dynamic pushover curves of the building were obtained. The analysis results were compared and good correlation was obtained between the idealized dynamic analyses envelopes with and static pushover curves for the selected building. As a result to more accurately account response of steel buildings, dynamic pushover envelopes can be obtained and compared with static pushover curve of the building.
spread plastic hinge;static pushover analysis;steel building;incremental nonlinear dynamic time history analysis
- Duan, H. and Hueste, M.B.D. (2012), "Seismic performance of a reinforced concrete frame building in China", Eng. Struct., 41, 77-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.030
- Hall, J.F. and Challa, V.R.M. (1995), "Beam-column modeling", J. Eng. Mech., 121(12), 1284-1291. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1995)121:12(1284)
- Huu, C.N. and Kim, S.E. (2009), "Practical advanced analysis of space steel frames using fiber hinge method", Thin-Wall. Struct., 47(4), 421-430. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2008.08.007
- Huu, C.N., Kim, S.E. and Oh, J.R. (2007), "Nonlinear analysis of space steel frames using fiber plastic hinge concept", Eng. Struct., 29(4), 649-657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.06.008
- Jiang, X.M., Chen, H. and Liew, J.Y.R. (2002), "Spread-of-plasticity analysis of three-dimensional steel frames", J. Construct. Steel Res., 58(2), 193-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00041-4
- Krishnan, S. and Hall, J.F. (2006), "Modeling steel frame buildings in three dimensions II: Elastofiber beam element and examples", J. Eng. Mech. ASCE, 132(4), 359-374. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:4(359)
- Kwon, O.S. and Kim, E. (2010), "Case study: Analytical investigation on the failure of a two-story RC building damaged during the 2007 Pisco-Chincha earthquake", Eng. Struct., 32(7), 1876-1887. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.12.022
- Menegotto, M. and Pinto, P.E. (1973), "Method of analysis for cyclically loaded reinforced concrete plane frames including changes in geometry and non-elastic behavior of elements under combined normal force and bending", Proceeding IABSE Symposium of Resistance and Ultimate Deformability of Structures acted on by Well-Defined Repeated Loads. International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, month, Volume 13, pp. 15-22.
- Mwafy, A.M. and Elnashai, A.S. (2001), "Static pushover versus dynamic collapse analysis of RC buildings", Eng. Struct., 23(5), 407-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00068-7
- PEER Strong Motion Database, www.peer.berkeley.edu/smcat/search.html
- Sarno, L.D. and Manfredi, G. (2010), "Seismic retrofitting with buckling restrained braces: Application to an existing non-ductile RC framed building", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 30(11), 1279-1297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2010.06.001
- SeismoArtif v2.1 (2013), A computer program for generating artificial earthquake accelerograms matched to a specific target response spectrum. Available online: www.seismosoft.com [July 19, 2013].
- SeismoSignal v5.1 (2013), A computer program for the processing of strong-motion data. Available at: www.seismosoft.com [July 19, 2013].
- SeismoStruct v7 (2014), A computer program developed for the accurate analytical assessment of structures, subjected to earthquake strong motion. Available online: www.seismosoft.com [September 8, 2014].
- Carvalho, G., Bento, R. and Bhatt, C. (2013), "Nonlinear static and dynamic analyses of reinforced concrete buildings-comparison of different modelling approaches", Earthq. Struct., Int. J., 4 (5), 451-470. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.5.451
- Challa, V.R.M. (1992), Nonlinear Seismic Behaviour of Steel Planar Moment-Resisting Frames, California Institute of Technology Pasadena, CA, USA.
- Turkish Earthquake Code (2007), Ankara, Turkey.
- Turkish Standard 648, Design and Construction Requirements for steel buildings. [In Turkish]
- Yon, B. (2014), "Investigation of nonlinear behaviour of structures under static and dynamic loads", Firat University, Graduate School of Sciences Elazig, Turkey. [In Turkish]
- Yon, B. and Calayir, Y. (2014), "Effects of confinement reinforcement and concrete strength on nonlinear behaviour of RC buildings", Comput. Concrete, Int. J., 14(3), 279-297. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.14.3.279
- Yon, B. and Calayir, Y. (2015), "The soil effect on the seismic behaviour of reinforced concrete buildings", Earthq. Struct., Int. J., 8(1), 133-152. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.1.133