- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of uncertainties on seismic behaviour of optimum designed braced steel frames
- Hajirasouliha, Iman (Department of Civil & Structural Engineering, The University of Sheffield) ;
- Pilakoutas, Kypros (Department of Civil & Structural Engineering, The University of Sheffield) ;
- Mohammadi, Reza K. (Civil Engineering Department, K.N. Toosi University of Technology)
- Received : 2015.08.12
- Accepted : 2015.11.03
- Published : 2016.02.10
Concentrically braced steel frames (CBFs) can be optimised during the seismic design process by using lateral loading distributions derived from the concept of uniform damage distribution. However, it is not known how such structures are affected by uncertainties. This study aims to quantify and manage the effects of structural and ground-motion uncertainty on the seismic performance of optimum and conventionally designed CBFs. Extensive nonlinear dynamic analyses are performed on 5, 10 and 15-storey frames to investigate the effects of storey shear-strength and damping ratio uncertainties by using the Monte Carlo simulation method. For typical uncertainties in conventional steel frames, optimum design frames always exhibit considerably less inter-storey drift and cumulative damage compared to frames designed based on IBC-2012. However, it is noted that optimum structures are in general more sensitive to the random variation of storey shear-strength. It is shown that up to 50% variation in damping ratio does not affect the seismic performance of the optimum design frames compared to their code-based counterparts. Finally, the results indicate that the ground-motion uncertainty can be efficiently managed by optimizing CBFs based on the average of a set of synthetic earthquakes representing a design spectrum. Compared to code-based design structures, CBFs designed with the proposed average patterns exhibit up to 54% less maximum inter-storey drift and 73% less cumulative damage under design earthquakes. It is concluded that the optimisation procedure presented is reliable and should improve the seismic performance of CBFs.
Monte Carlo simulation;optimum seismic design;concentrically braced frame;seismic performance;non-linear behaviour
- ANSI/AISC 341-05 (2005), Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- ANSI/AISC 360-05 (2005), Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- ASCE 7-05 (2006), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Reston, VA, USA.
- ASCE/SEI 41-13 (2014), Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings, (1st Edition), American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Baik, S.W., Lee, D.G. and Krawinkler, H. (1988), "A simplified model for seismic response prediction of steel frame structures", Proceedings of the 9th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Volume 5, Tokyo-Kyoto, Japan, August.
- Beck, J.L., Chan, E., Irfanoglu, A. and Papadimitriou, C. (1999), "Multi-criteria optimal structural design under uncertainty", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(7), 741-761. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199907)28:7<741::AID-EQE840>3.0.CO;2-6
- Bertero, V.V., Anderson, J.C., Krawinkler, H. and Miranda, E. (1991), Design guidelines for ductility and drift limits; Report No. UCB/EERC-91/15, University of California, Earthquake Eng Center, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Broderick, B.M., Elghazouli, A.Y. and Goggins, J. (2008), "Earthquake testing and response analysis of concentrically-braced sub-frames", J. Construct. Steel Res., 64(9), 997-1007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.12.014
- Chopra, A.K. (2012), Dynamics of Structures, (4th ed.), Prentice Hall Inc., London, UK.
- Dicleli, M. and Calik, E.E. (2008), "Physical theory hysteretic model for steel braces", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 134 (7), 1215-1228. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:7(1215)
- DIN 1025 (1995), Hot rolled I and H sections: Dimensions, mass and static parameters, DIN Deutsches Institut Fur Normung EV, Berlin, Germany.
- Fu, G. and Frangopol, D.M. (1990), "Reliability-based vector optimization of structural systems", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 116(8), 2141-61.
- Hajirasouliha, I. and Doostan, A. (2010), "A simplified model for seismic response prediction of concentrically braced frames", Adv. Eng. Software, 41(3), 497-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2009.10.008
- Hajirasouliha, I. and Moghaddam, H. (2009), "New lateral force distribution for seismic design of structures", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 135(8), 906-915. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2009)135:8(906)
- Hajirasouliha, I. and Pilakoutas, K. (2012), "General Seismic Load Distribution for Optimum Performance-Based Design of Shear-Buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 16(4), 443-462. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2012.654897
- Hajirasouliha, I., Asadi, P. and Pilakoutas, K. (2012), "An efficient performance-based seismic design method for reinforced concrete frames", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(4), 663-679. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1150
- Hart, G.C. (2000), "Earthquake forces for the lateral force code", Struct. Des. Tall Build., 9(1), 49-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1794(200003)9:1<49::AID-TAL130>3.0.CO;2-X
- Haukaas, T. and Kiureghian, A.D. (2003), Finite element reliability and sensitivity methods for performancebased engineering, Report No. PEER 2003/14, Pacific Earthquake Eng Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Hsiao, P.C., Lehman, D.E., Berman, J.W., Roeder, C.W. and Powel, J. (2014), "Seismic vulnerability of older braced frames", J. Perform. Construct. Facil. ASCE, 28(1), 108-120. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000394
- IBC (2012), International Building Code, International Code Council, Country Club Hills, USA.
- Jain, A.K., Goel, S.C. and Hanson, R.D. (1980), "Hysteretic cycles of axially loaded steel members", J. Struct. Div. ASCE, 106(8), 1777-1795.
- Jazany, R.A., Hajirasouliha, I. and Farshchi, H. (2013), "Influence of masonry infill on the seismic performance of concentrically braced frames", J. Construct. Steel Res., 88, 150-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.05.009
- Karami Mohammad, R. and Sharghi, H. (2014), "On the optimum performance-based design of eccentrically braced frames", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 16(4), 357-374. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.16.4.357
- Karami Mohammadi, R., El Naggar, M.H. and Moghaddam, H. (2004), "Optimum strength distribution for seismic resistant shear buildings", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 41(22-23), 6597-6612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2004.05.012
- Kazantzi, A.K., Vamvatsikos, D. and Lignos, D.G. (2014), "Seismic performance of a steel momentresisting frame subject to strength and ductility uncertainty", Eng. Struct., 78, 69-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.06.044
- Koboevic, S.M., Rozon, J. and Tremblay, R. (2012), "Seismic performance of low-to-moderate height eccentrically braced steel frames designed for North American seismic conditions", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 138(12), 1465-1476. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000433
- Krawinkler, H. and Zohrei, M. (1984), "Cumulative damage in steel structures subjected to earthquake ground motions", Comput. Struct., 16(1-4), 531-41.
- Kwon, O.S. and Elnashai, A. (2006), "The effect of material and ground motion uncertainty on the seismic vulnerability curves of RC structure", Eng. Struct., 28(2), 289-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.07.010
- Lagaros, N.D., Garavelas, A.T. and Papadrakakis, M. (2008), "Innovative seismic design optimization with reliability constraints", Comput. Method. Appl. Mech. Engrg., 198(1), 28-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2007.12.025
- Lee, K. and Foutch, D.A. (2002), "Performance evaluation of new steel frame buildings for seismic loads", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(3), 653-670. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.147
- Liu, M., Burns, S.A. and Wen, Y.K. (2005), "Multiobjective optimization for performance-based seismic design of steel moment frame structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(3), 289-306. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.426
- McCrum, D.P. and Broderick, B.M. (2013), "An experimental and numerical investigation into the seismic performance of a multi-storey concentrically braced plan irregular structure", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 11(6), 2363-2385. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9470-3
- Moghaddam, H. and Hajirasouliha, I. (2006), "Toward more rational criteria for determination of design earthquake forces", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 43(9), 2631-2645. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.07.038
- Moghaddam, H. and Hajirasouliha, I. (2008), "Optimum strength distribution for seismic design of tall buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Special Build., 17(2), 331-349. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.356
- Moghaddam, H., Hajirasouliha, I. and Doostan, A. (2005), "Optimum seismic design of concentrically steel braced frames: Concepts and design procedures", J. Construct. Steel Res., 61(2), 151-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.08.002
- Papadrakakis, M., Lagaros, N.D. and Plevris, V. (2005), "Design optimization of steel structures considering uncertainties", Eng. Struct., 27(9), 1408-1418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.04.002
- Prakash, V., Powell, G.H., and Filippou, F.C. (1992), DRAIN-2DX: Base program user guide; UCB/ SEMM-92/29, Earthquake Engineering Research Centre, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Priestley, M.J.N., Calvi, M.C. and Kowalsky, M.J. (2007), Displacement-based Seismic Design of Structures, IUSS Press, Pavia, Italy.
- Simoes da Silva, L., Rebelo, C., Nethercot, D., Marques, L., Simoes, R. and Vila Real P.M.M. (2009), "Statistical evaluation of the lateral-torsional buckling resistance of steel I-beams, Part 2: Variability of steel properties", J. Construct. Steel Res., 65(4), 832-849. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.07.017
- Vanmarke, E.H., Fenton, G.A. and Heredia-Zavoni, E. (1999), SIMQKE-II, Conditioned earthquake ground motion simulator: User's manual; Version 2.1, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research (PEER) Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Yousuf, M. and Bagchi, A. (2009), "Seismic design and performance evaluation of steel-frame buildings designed using the 2005 National Building code of Canada", Can. J. Civil Eng., 36(2), 280-294. https://doi.org/10.1139/L08-122
- Zacharenaki, A., Fragiadakis, M. and Papadrakakis, M. (2013), "Reliability-based optimum seismic design of structures using simplified performance estimation methods", Eng. Struct., 52(1), 707-717. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.03.007
- More adequate seismic design force pattern for yielding structures considering structural and ground motion uncertainties effects vol.27, pp.16, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1537
- Modeling and Seismic Response Analysis of Italian Code-Conforming Single-Storey Steel Buildings pp.1559-808X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2018.1528913
- Modelling Uncertainties of Italian Code-Conforming Structures for the Purpose of Seismic Response Analysis pp.1559-808X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2018.1527262
- More efficient lateral load patterns for seismic design of steel moment-resisting frames vol.171, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1680/jstbu.17.00064