- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Axial compression ratio limit values for steel reinforced concrete (SRC) special shaped columns
- Chen, Zongping (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Guangxi University) ;
- Xu, Jinjun (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Guangxi University) ;
- Chen, Yuliang (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Guangxi University) ;
- Xue, Jianyang (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Guangxi University)
- Received : 2015.01.23
- Accepted : 2015.10.28
- Published : 2016.02.10
This paper presents the results of experimental investigation, numerical calculation and theoretical analysis on axial compression ratio limit values for steel reinforced concrete (SRC) special shaped columns. 17 specimens were firstly intensively carried out to investigate the hysteretic behavior of SRC special shaped columns subjected to a constant axial load and cyclic reversed loads. Two theories were used to calculate the limits of axial compression ratio for all the specimens, including the balanced failure theory and superposition theory. It was found that the results of balanced failure theory by numerical integration method cannot conform the reality of test results, while the calculation results by employing the superposition theory can agree well with the test results. On the basis of superposition theory, the design limit values of axial compression ratio under different seismic grades were proposed for SRC special shaped columns.
steel reinforced concrete (SRC);special shaped column;axial compression ratio;limit;hysteretic behavior;balanced failure theory;superposition theory;numerical integration
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of China
- AIJ (Architectural Institute of Japan) (2001), Standards for structural calculation of steel reinforced concrete structures. [In Japanese]
- Cao, W.L., Huang, X.M. and Song, W.Y. (2005), "Experiment and non-linear element analyses of seismic behavior of short specially shaped columns with crossed reinforcing bars", J. Build. Struct., 26(3), 30-37. [In Chinese]
- Chen, Z.P., Xue, J.Y., Zhao, H.T. and Shao, Y.J. (2010), "Research on mechanics behavior of steel reinforced concrete special-shaped columns", J. Xi'an Univ. Architect. Technol. (Natural Science Edition), 42(3), 329-334. [In Chinese]
- Dundar, C. and Sahin, B. (1993), "Arbitrarily shaped reinforced concrete members subjected to biaxial bending and axial load", Comput. Struct., 49(4), 643-662.
- GB 50010-2010 (2010), Code for design of concrete structures, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China. [In Chinese]
- GB 50011-2010 (2010), Code for seismic design of buildings, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China. [In Chinese]
- Hsu, T.C. (1989), "T-shaped reinforced concrete members under biaxial bending and axial compression", ACI Struct. J., 86(4), 460-468.
- JGJ 149-2006 (2006), Technical specification for concrete structures with specially shaped columns, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China. [In Chinese]
- JGJ 138-2001 (2001), Technical specification for steel reinforced concrete composite structures, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China. [In Chinese]
- Kang, G.Y. and Gong, C.J. (1997), "Shear properties of T and L-shaped section frame columns under monotonic and horizontal low cyclic loadings", J. Build. Struct., 18(5), 22-31. [In Chinese]
- Legeron, F. and Paultre, P. (2000), "Behavior of high-strength concrete columns under cyclic flexure and constant axial load", ACI Struct. J., 97(4), 591-601.
- Li, J., Wu, J.Y., Zhou, D.Y. and Nie, L.P. (2002), "Experimental research on wide flange specially shaped section columns subjected to cyclic loading", J. Build. Struct., 23(1), 9-14. [In Chinese]
- Ma, H., Xue, J.Y., Zhang, X.C. and Luo, D.M. (2013), "Seismic performance of steel-reinforced recycled concrete columns under low cyclic loads", Construct. Build. Mater., 48(11), 229-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.06.019
- Mallikarjuna and Mahadevappa, P. (1992), "Computer aided analysis of reinforced concrete columns subjected to axial compression and bending-I L-shaped sections", Comput. Struct., 44(5), 1121-1138. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(92)90333-U
- Marin, J. (1979), "Design aids for L-shaped reinforced concrete columns", ACI J. Proceedings, 76(11), 1197-1216.
- Nie, J.G., Qin, K. and Cai, C.S. (2008), "Seismic behavior of connections composed of CFSSTCs and steelconcrete composite beams: finite element analysis", J. Construct. Steel Res., 64(6), 680-688. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.12.003
- Patton, M.L. and Singh, K.D. (2012), "Numerical modeling of lean duplex stainless steel hollow columns of square, L-, T-, and +-shaped cross sections under pure axial compression", Thin-Wall. Struct., 53(4), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2012.01.002
- Qiang, J.Y. (2002), Experimental Study on Seismic Behavior and Distribution Axial Force of Truss Type Steel Reinforced Concrete Columns, Southwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China. [In Chinese]
- Ramamurthy, L. and Khan, T.A. (1983), "L-shaped column design for biaxial eccentricity", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 109(8), 1903-1917. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1983)109:8(1903)
- Rusch, H. (1960), "Researches toward a general flexural theory for structural concrete", ACI J. Proceedings, 57(7), 1-28.
- Sinha, S.N. (1996), "Design of cross (+) section of column", Ind. Concrete J., 70(3), 153-158.
- Tokgoz, S. and Dundar, C. (2012), "Tests of eccentrically loaded L-shaped section steel fibre high strength reinforced concrete and composite columns", Eng. Struct., 38(5), 134-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.01.009
- Tsao, W.H. and Hsu, C.T.T. (1993), "A nonlinear computer analysis of biaxially loaded L-shaped slender reinforced concrete columns", Comput. Struct., 49(4), 579-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(93)90062-I
- Wang, Q.T. and Chang, X. (2013), "Analysis of concrete-filled steel tubular columns with "T" shaped cross section (CFTTS)", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 15(1), 41-55. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.15.1.41
- Wei, Y. and Feng, J.P. (1995), "Investigation on L-shaped reinforced concrete members with flexure and axial force under cyclic loading", J. South China Univ. Technol. (Natural Science), 23(3), 44-50.
- Wsu, C. (1985), "Biaxially loaded L-shaped reinforced concrete columns", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 111(12), 2576-2595. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:12(2576)
- Wu, B. and Xu, Y.Y. (2009), "Behavior of axially-and-rotationally restrained concrete columns with '+'-shaped cross section and subjected to fire", Fire Safe. J., 44(2), 212-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2008.07.003
- Xu, Y.Y. and Wu, B. (2009), "Fire resistance of reinforced concrete columns with L-, T-, and +-shaped cross-sections", Fire Safe. J., 44(2), 869-880. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2009.04.002
- Xue, J.Y., Chen, Z.P., Zhao, H.T., Gao, L. and Liu, Z.Q. (2012), "Shear mechanism and bearing capacity calculation on steel reinforced concrete special-shaped columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 13(5), 473-487. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.13.5.473
- Yau, C.Y., Chan, S.L. and So, A.K.W. (1993), "Biaxial bending design of arbitrarily shaped reinforced concrete columns", ACI Struct. J., 90(3), 269-278.
- YB 9082-2006, (2007), Technical Specification of Steel-reinforced Concrete Structures, Metallurgical Industry Press, Beijing, China. [In Chinese]
- Ye, L.P., Fang, E.H., Zhou, Z.H. and Liu, F.G. (1997), "Axial load limit for steel reinforced concrete columns", J. Build. Struct., 18(5), 43-50. [In Chinese]
- Zhang, Y.F. and Wang, Z.H. (2000), "Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete shear walls subjected to high axial loading", ACI Struct. J., 97(5), 739-750.
- Zhao, Y.J., Li, Z.X. and Chen, Y.X. (2004), "Research on limit values of axial compression ratios of specially shaped RC columns in case of 4th aseismic grade", J. Build. Struct., 25(3), 58-62. [In Chinese]
- Zhou, X.H. and Liu, J.P. (2010), "Seismic behavior and strength of tubed steel reinforced concrete (SRC) short columns", J. Construct. Steel Res., 66(7), 885-896. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.01.020
- Zhou, T., Chen, Z.H. and Liu, H.B. (2012), "Seismic behavior of special shaped column composed of concrete filled steel tubes", J. Construct. Steel Res., 75(8), 131-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.03.015
- Zuo, Z.L., Cai, J., Yang, C. and Chen, Q.J. (2012a), "Eccentric load behavior of L-shaped CFT stub columns with binding bars", J. Construct. Steel Res., 72(5), 105-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.11.003
- Zuo, Z.L., Cai, J., Yang, C., Chen, Q.J. and Sun, G. (2012b), "Axial load behavior of L-shaped CFT stub columns with binding bars", Eng. Struct., 37(4), 88-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.12.042
- Studies on T-Shaped composite columns consist of multi separate concrete-filled square tubular steel sections under eccentric axial load vol.22, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.2.217
- Calculation of Flexural Capacity of Steel Reinforced Concrete Beams Strengthened with FRP vol.79-82, pp.1662-8985, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.79-82.1141
- Numerical Simulation Technology of the Steel Reinforced Concrete Special-Shaped Columns Using Ansys vol.466-467, pp.1662-8985, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.466-467.1232
- Experimental study on the static performance of steel reinforced concrete columns with high encased steel ratios vol.27, pp.15, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1536
- Experimental study on steel reinforced concrete columns subjected to combined bending-torsion cyclic loading vol.27, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1479