- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on the temporal and spatial variation in cold water zone in the East Sea using satellite data
위성자료를 이용한 동해안 냉수대의 시공간적 변화 분석 연구
- Yoon, Suk (Korea Ocean Satellite Center (KOSC), Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST)) ;
- Yang, Hyun (ICT R&D Unit, KIOST)
- Received : 2016.12.06
- Accepted : 2016.12.30
- Published : 2016.12.31
We investigated the changes with temporal and spatial movements of cold water events in summer season around the East Sea of Korea. Several data analyses were performed based on the various environmental factors using satellite and in-situ (winds, air/sea surface temperatures) data in the summer season during 2013. For analyzing the influence of cold water life cycle we employed AVISO geostrophic current and daily Geostationary Ocean Color Imager (GOCI) chlorophyll concentration (chl) data. Also, we used daily Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer-Sea Surface Temperature (AVHRR-SST) data to trace the movements of cold water events. We found out the cold water events occurred in the early summer season and disappeared in the late summer season, and the cold water life cycle is repeated in this period. Additionally, we could show that the chl were increased in late summer season due to the inertial influence of cold water zone.
Cold Water Zone;Sea Surface Temperature;SST
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술원
- Chang, Y.J., M.R. Park, D.Y. Kang, and B.K. Lee, 1999. Physiological Responses of cultured Olive Flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus) on Series of Lowering Seawater Temperature Sharply and Continuously, Journal of the Korean society of Fisheries Society, 32(5): 601-606 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Choi, J.K., J.E. Min, J.H. Noh, T.H. Han, and S. Yoon, 2014. Harmful algal bloom (HAB) in the East Sea identified by the Geostationary Ocean Color Imager (GOCI). Harmful Algae, (39): 295-302.
- Choi, Y.K., 2015. Upwelling in the southwest region of the East Sea in July, Proc. of Journal Korea Society Fisheries Technology, 51(2): 212-220 (In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.2.212
- Han, S.D., Y.S. Suh and Y.H. Ahn. 1995. Mapping cold water zone and water zone and warning service for aquaculture groups at the southeastern coast of Korean peninsula. in proceeding of International Symposium on Remote Sensing, Proc. of 11th Fall Symposium of Korea Satellite Remote Sensing, PP. 67-74 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Jensen, J.R., 2005. Introductory Digital Image Processing: A Remote Sensing perspective, Third Edition.
- Ji, H.E., S.H. Lee, C. Park, and H.W. Lee, 2014. A Case Study on Sea Breeze Circulation and Ozone Concentration due to the Effect of Cold Water in the Southeastern Coastal Area, Journal of Environmental Science International of Korea, 23(2): 261-274 (In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.2.261
- Kang, Y.S., H.G. Kim, W.A. Lim, C.K. Lee, S.G. Lee, and S.Y. Kim, 2002. An unusual coastal environment and Cochlodinium polykrikoides blooms in 1995 in the South Sea of Korea, Journal Oceanology Society Korea, 37(4): 212-223 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, C.H. and K. Kim, 1983. Characteristics and origin of the cold water mass along the east coast of Korea, Journal Oceanology Society, (18): 73-83 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, S.W., J.G. Woo, S.S. Kim, H.D. Jeong, and K. Yanada, 2010. Characteristics of Ocean Environment Before and After Coastal Upwelling in the Southeastern Part of Korean Peninsula Using an In-situ and Multi-Satellite Data, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, 16(4): 345-352 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, S.W., W.J. Go, L.Y. Jang, J.W. Lim, K. Yamada, 2008. Short-Term Variability of a Summer Cold Water Mass in the Southeast Coast of Korea Using Satellite and Shipboard Data, The Korean Society Of Marine Environment & Safety, (1): 169-171 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Knauss, J.A., 1998, Introduction to Physical Oceanography Second Edition.
- Lee, H.W., H.E. Ji, and S.H. Lee, 2009. A study of Interrelationships between the Effect of the Upwelling Cold Water and Sea Breeze in the Southeastern Coast of the Korean Peninsula, 2009. Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 25(6): 481-491. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2009.25.6.481
- Lee, J.C. and J.Y. Na, 1985. Structure of upwelling off the southeast coast of Korea, Journal Korean Society Oceanography, 20(3): 6-19 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Lim, W.A., S.L. Young, and J.G. Park, 2009. Characteristics of Cochlodinium polykrikoides Bloom in Southeast Coastal Waters of Korea, 2008. Journal of the Society of Oceanography, 14(3): 155-162 (In Korean with English abstract).
- McClain, E.P., W.G. Pichel, and C.C. Walton, 1985. Comparative performance of Avhrrbased multichannel sea-surface temperatures, Journal of Geophysical Research, 90(Nc6): 1587-1601.
- O'Reilly, J.E., S. Maritorena, B.G. Mitchell, D.A. Siegel, K.L. Carder, S.A. Garver, M. Kahru, and C. McClain, 1998. Ocean color chlorophyll algorithms for SeaWiFS, Journal of Geophysical Research, 103(C11): 24937-24953. https://doi.org/10.1029/98JC02160
- Oh. H.J., S.H. Han, and S.Y. Moon, 2008. The Characteristics of phytoplankton Community of Cold Water in the around Sea Wando in Summer, 2005, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 17(9): 949-956. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2008.17.9.949
- Park, K.A., F. Sakaida, and H. Kawamura, 2008. Error Characteristics of satellite-Observed Sea Surface Temperatures in the Northeast Asian Sea, Journal Korean Earth Science society, 29(3): 280-289 (In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2008.29.3.280
- Park, K.A., J.E. Park, B.J. Choi, D.S. Byun, and E.I. Lee, 2013. An Oceanic Current Map of East Sea for Science Textbooks Based on Scientific Knowledge Acquired from Oceanic Measurements, Journal of Korean Society of Oceanography, 18(4): 234-265 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Park, Y.J., H.J. Han, S. Cho and J.H. Ahn, 2012. Interslot radiance discrepancy issue in GOCI L1B image. Proc. of 2nd GOCI PI Workshop and GOCI-II Development Workshop. Ansan, Korea, Jan. 11-13, Vol(1), pp. 23 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Raine, R., S. O'Boyle, T. O'Higgins, M. White, J. Patching, B. Cahill, T. McMahon, J.P. Ryan, A.M. Fischer, R.M. Kudela, J.F.R. Gower, S.A. King, R. Marin, and F.P. Chavez, 2009. Influences of upwelling and downwelling winds on red tide bloom dynamics in Monterey Bay, California. Continental Shelf Research, Jan,11-13 29 (5-6): 785-795. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2008.11.006
- Ryu, J.H., H.J. Han, S. Cho, Y.J. Park, and Y.H. Ahn, 2012. Overview of Geostationary Ocean Color Imager (GOCI) and GOCI data processing system (GDPS). Ocean Science Journal, 47(3): 223-233. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12601-012-0024-4
- Seung, Y.H., 1984. A numerical experiment the effect of coastline geometry on the upwelling along the East Coast Korea, Journal Oceanology Society Korea, 19(1): 24-30.
- Son, Y.B., Y.H. Kang, and J.H. Ryu, 2012. Monitoring red tide in South Sea of Korea (SSK) using the Geostationary Ocean Color Imager (GOCI), Korean Journal Remote Sensing, 28(5): 531-548 (In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.7780/kjrs.2012.28.5.6
- Suh, Y.S. and J.D. Hwang, 2005. Study on the Cold Mass Occurrence in the Eastern Coast of the Korean Peninsula in Summer, Journal of the Korean Environmental Sciences Society, 14(10): 945-953 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Suh, Y.S., J.H. Kim, and H.G. Kim, 2000. Relationship between Sea Sruface Temperature derived from NOAA Satellites and Cochlodinium polykrikoides Red Tide occurrence in Korea Coastal Waters, Journal of the Korea Environmental Sciences Society, 9(3): 215-221 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Suh, Y.S., L.H. Jang, and H.G. Kim, 2003. Relationship between Spatio-Temporal Distribution of Cochlodinium polykrikoides Red Tide and Meso-scale Variation of Oceanographic Environment around the Korean Waters, Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, 6(3): 139-150 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Suh. Y.S., L.H. Jang, and J.D. Hwang, 2001. Temporal and Spatial variations of the Cold Waters Occurring in the Eastern Coast of the Korean Peninsula in Summer Season, Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 34(5): 435-444 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Yoo, S. and H.C. kim, 2004. Suppression and enhancement of the spring bloom in the southwestern East Sea/Japan Sea, Deep-Sea Research II, 51: 1093-1111. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0645(04)00102-X
- Yoo, S. and J. Park, 2009. why is southwest the most productive region of the Ease Sea/ Sea of Japan?, Journal of Marine Systems, 78: 301-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2009.02.014
- Yoon, H.J. and H.S. Kim, 2005. Statistical Analyses on the Relationships between Red Tide Formation and Meterological Factors in the Korean Coasts, and Satellite Monitoring for Red Tide, Journal of the Korean society of Fisheries Technology, 41(2): 140-146 (In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.2.140
- Yoon, S. and H. Yang, 2016. Temporal and Spatial Variation analysis of Cold water in the East/Japan Sea Using AVHRR, MODIS, VIIRS, and GOCI, Proc. of International GOCI Symposium 2016, Phoenix island Resort, Jeju Island, Republic of Korea. Sep. 27-30. pp. 65.
- Yoon, S., H. Yang, J.K. Choi, and Y.J. Park, 2015. Effect analysis of cold water the East Sea using satellite data, Proc. of 12th Korea-Japan workshop Ocean Color (KJWOC) 2015, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology, Yokohama of Japan. Dec. 8-10, pp. 38.