- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Fear of Crime on Life Satisfaction: Focused on the Mediating Effect of Interpersonal Trust
지역사회의 범죄에 대한 두려움이 생활만족도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구: 대인신뢰 매개효과 분석
- Choi, Dong-Joo (Dept. of Foodservice Industry Jeonju University) ;
- Lee, Myo-Sook (Woori home care center for elderly)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
A Study on the Fear of Crime and Life Satisfaction: Focused on the mediating effect of interpersonal trust. The purpose of this study was to examine whether fear of crime accounts for life satisfaction, and the interpersonal trust mediating between fear of crime and life satisfaction. The subject of this study was a group of 557 adults above 20 years old in Seoul and Gyeonggi province. The survey was done from July 1st 2015 to August 31 2014. The results are summarized as follows: First, subjects who were women and had higher education showed higher life satisfaction. Second, fear of crime has statistically significant negative effects on life satisfaction. Third, fear of crime has statistically significant negative effects on interpersonal trust. Fourth, interpersonal trust has statistically significant positive effects on life satisfaction. Lastly, interpersonal trust acts as a mediator between fear of crime and life satisfaction. The implication of this study's results is for policy making and it is discussed to promote a higher level of interpersonal trust and increase the level of life satisfaction for residents.
fear of crime;interpersonal trust;life satisfaction;local community;mediated effect
- S. S. Lee, "An Integrating Study for Considering both Causal and Control Factors across the Types of Youth Cyber Crimes", Korean Institute of Criminology, pp. 11-120, 2008.
- Dolan, P. & Peasgood, T., "Estimating the Economic and Social Costs of the Fear of Crime", British Journal of Criminology, Vol. 47, pp. 121-132, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjc/azl015
- Stafford, M., Chandola, T. & Marmot, M., "Association between fear of crime and mental health and physical functioning", American Journal of Public Health Vol. 97, pp. 2076-2081, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.097154
- Hanslmaier, M., "Crime, fear and subjective well-being: How victimization and street crime affect fear and life satisfaction", European Journal of Criminology, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 515-533, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/1477370812474545
- Wilson, J. Q., & Kelling, G. L., "Broken windows: the police and neighborhood safety", The Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 249, No. 3, pp. 29-38, 1982.
- Y. S. Choung, "A Study on the Measurement and Determinants of Social Capital in Local Community: Focused on the Korean General Social Survey Data", Master's thesis, University of Seoul, 2014.
- S. W. Kim, "Social Capital and Crime : The Effects of Social Capital on Violent Crime in Korea" Journal of Korean Public Security, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-25, 2012.
- Coleman, J. S.. "Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital", The American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 94, pp. S95-S120, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Putnam, R. D., "Making Democracy Work: Civil Traditions in Modern Italy", Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1993.
- Bourdieu, P., "Les rites d'institution", Actes de la recherche en sciences sociales. Vol. 43, pp. 58-63, 1982. https://doi.org/10.3406/arss.1982.2159
- Lin, N., "Social Capital: Social Networks, Civic Engagement or Trust?", Hong Kong Journal of Sociology, Vol. 2, pp. 1-38, 2001.
- Fukuyama, Frances, "Trust: The Social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity" New York: Free Press, 1995.
- Zaheer, A., McEvily, B., & Perrone, V., "Does trust matter? Exploring the effects of inter organizational and interpersonal trust on performance", Organizational Science, 9, pp. 141-159. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.9.2.141
- M. S. Kang "The differential effects of types of trust on happiness : focused on social trust and trust in government", Master's thesis, Seoul University, 2014.
- E. R. Paik, "Study on the Factors Affecting Quality of Life of the Physically Disabled Persons : Focused on the environmental factors and the degree of social integration". Ph. D. dissertation, Catholic University, 2003.
- J. S. Lee, "The Analysis of Factors Influencing on the Life Satisfaction of Poor Disabled Persons-Focus on Registration Disable Persons of Gwang-Ju City in South Korea-". Journal of the Korean association for governance, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 79-105, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17089/kgr.2009.16.1.004
- S. N. Ahn, "Relationship between Local Government's Social Security Network and Citizens' Fear of Crime and Quality of Life in Seoul", Ph. D. dissertation, Kyonggi University, 2015.
- Garofalo, J., "The Fear of Crime : Causes and Consequences", The Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology. Vol. 72, No. 2, 839-853, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/1143018
- I. S. Choi & J. S. Kim, "Study on the Public Fear of Crime in Seoul", Journal of Korean institute of criminology, Vol. 9, 1-201. 1996.
- Y. H. Cho "Effects of Social Capital on Fear of Crime". Korean Association for Policy Studies, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 1-27, 2015.
- D. K. Lee & Y. K. Min, "After Ferry Sewol Disaster, How does Disaster and Safety Perception Affect Government Trust? - Centers on the Omnibus Survey of Disaster and Safety Perception Conducted by Korean Research". Crisisonomy, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 19-38, 2015.
- C. S. Kim, "The Relationship Between Social Security Network and Security Life Satisfaction in Community Residents: Scale Development and Application of Social Security Network". The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 108-118, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.06.108
- Uslaner, E. M., "The moral foundation of trust", Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Helliwell, J. F., "Well-being and social capital: Does suicide pose a puzzle?", Social Indicators Research, Vol. 81, No. 3. pp. 455-496, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-006-0022-y
- Bjormskov, C., "The multiple facets of social capital", European journal of political economy, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 22-40, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpoleco.2005.05.006
- S. W. Yim, "Study on Relationship between Social Capital and Life Satisfaction of Elderly: focused on Seoul City". Ph. D. dissertation, University of Seoul, 2009.
- J. S. Kang "Effect of Social Capital on the Life Satisfaction of the Community Residents. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 875-882, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.875
- Y. S. Park & U. C. Kim, "Factors influencing family Line-satisfaction among Korean adults: With specific focus on social support from spouse, trust of children and self-efficacy", Korean journal of culture and social issues, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 71-101, 2008.
- Yamamura, E., Tsutsui, Y., Yamane, C., Yamane, S., & Powdthavee, N., "Trust and Happiness: Comparative Study Before and After the Great East Japan Earthquake", Social Indicators Research, Vol. 123, No. 3, pp. 919-935, 2014.
- Y. E. Seong, "A Study on Relations of the Recognition on Public Peace Environment and Fear of Crime : Focused on the Seoul Area". Ph. D. dissertation, Dongguk University, 2007.
- S. E. Kim, "Rearranging Korean Police Functions : Community Policing and Fear of Crime, Korean Institute of Criminology, 13-326, 2003.
- S. J. Sim.& H. K. Lee, The social survey item development, Statistics Research Institute, 2009.
- A. S. Jang, "A Study Effect on The individual characteristics on Fear of Crime: A Study Effect on The individual characteristics on Fear of Crime: focusing on contextual and moderating effect", Ph. D. dissertation, Korea University. 2011.
- H. B. Park, H. C. Lee, D. W. Kim, C. S. Kim & B. T. Park, "The Levels and Determinants of the Koreans' Trust: Interpersonal, Associational, and Mass Media Trust affected by Association Participation, and Socio-Economic Status", The Korea Association for Policy Studies, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 199-263, 2003.
- S. C. Lew, M. H. Chang & Y. Bae, "Good Government, Social Capital, and Trust: Korea, Japan, Denmark, and Sweden ". East and West Studies, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 101-135, 2002.
- M. J. Kim, "Influence to legal consciousness by social trust of high school students: focusing highschool students residing in the capital sphere", Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2010.
- Burr, W. R., & Hultisch. D. F. A., "Multivariate analisys of correlates of life satisfaction in adulthood", Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 41-47, 1970. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/25.1.41
- Diener, E., Emmons, R. A., Larsen, R. J. & Griffin, S. "The Satisfaction with Life Scale", Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol. 49, pp. 71-75, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- M. S. Y & M. S. Lee "A Study on the Effects of Depression on Life Satisfaction and the Mediating Effect of Self-Esteem of Elderly Women", Journal of community welfare, Vol. 36, No. 3-1, pp. 89-115, 2011.
- West, S. G., Finch, J. F, & Curran, P. J., "Structural equation models with nonnormal variables: Problems and remedies", In R.H. Hoyle (Ed), (1995), Structural equation modeling: Concepts, issues, and applications, pp. 56-75. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1995.
- T. K. Yoo & K. H. Kim, "Statistics for social welfare research" Knowledge community, 2013.
- Bentler, P. M., "Comparative fit indexes in structural models", Psycho-logical Bulletin, Vol. 107, pp. 238-246, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.238
- Browne, M. W. & Cudeck, R., "Alternative ways of assessing model fit", In: Bollen, K. A. and Long, J. S. (Eds.) Testing Structural Equation Models. pp. 136-162. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1993.
- Shrout, P. E., & Bolger, N., "Mediation in Experimental and Non experimental Studies: New Procedures and Recommendations", Psychological Methods, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 422-445, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.4.422
- Suk-Ja Yoon, "Impact of Depression and Family Relationship on Problem Drinking among Older Adults", Journal of Digital Convergence Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 11-17, 2016.