- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Correlations of Walking Exercise Program-Induced Abdominal Visceral Fat Loss with Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors
걷기운동 프로그램에 의한 복부 내장지방의 감량과 대사증후군 위험인자 간의 관련성
- Kim, Myoung-Su (Pohang University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Sung-Hee (Pohang University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Shin-Ho (Pohang University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.08.31
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
The purpose of current study was to investigate the correlations of walking exercise program-induced abdominal visceral fat loss with metabolic syndrome risk factors in middle-aged women. The walking exercise program was provided at a frequency of 3 sessions, respectively, per week for a duration of 12 weeks. Then, the subjects were classified into either those whose abdominal visceral fat loss belonged to low 25 percentile (low 25% group, n=8) or those whose abdominal visceral fat loss belonged to high 25 percentile(high 25% group, n=8) based on the amount of abdominal visceral fat loss induced by the walking exercise. Metabolic syndrome risk factors(waist circumference, triglycerides, HDL-cholesterol, fasting blood glucose, blood pressure) between groups according to the 12 weekly walking exercise program had no difference. In conclusion, the findings of the present study show that the walking exercise-induced total abdominal fat and visceral fat loss were positively relate to waist and blood pressure(SBP, DBP) and that the walking exercise-induced subcutaneous fat loss were positively relate to waist and blood pressure(SBP).
Walking exercise;Total abdominal fat;Visceral fat;Subcutaneous fat;Metabolic syndrome
- B. Larsson, K. Svardsudd, L. Welin, L. Wilhelmsen, P. Bjorntorp, G. Tibblin, "Abdominal adipose tissue distribution, obesity, and risk of cardiovascular disease and death: 13-year follow-up of participants in the study of men born in 1913. BMJ", Vol. 288, pp.1401-1404, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.288.6428.1401
- S. E. Kahn, R. L. Prigeon, R. S. Schwartz, W. Y. Fujimoto, R. H. Knopp, J. D. Brunzell, D. Jr. Porte, "Obesity, body fat distribution, insulin sensitivity and islet beta-cell function as explanations for metabolic diversity. J Nutr", Vol. 131, pp.354S-360S, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.2.354S
- A. H. Kissebah, N. Vydelingum, R. Murray, D. J. Evans, A. J. Hartz, R. K. Kalkhoff, P. W. Adams, "Relation of body fat distribution to metabolic complications of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab", Vol. 54, pp.254-260, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-54-2-254
- R. A. DeFronzo, E. Ferrannini, "Insulin resistance: a multifaceted syndrome responsible for NIDDM, obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Diabetes Care", Vol. 14 pp.173-194, 1991.
- P. Bjorntorp, "Portal adipose tissue as a generator of risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Arteriosclerosis", Vol. 10, No. 4, pp.493-496, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.10.4.493
- S. Fujioka, Y. Matsuzawa, K. Tokunaga, S. Tarui. "Contribution of intra-abdominal fat accumulation to the impairment of glucose and lipid metabolism in human obesity. Metabolism", Vol. 36, pp.54-59, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(87)90063-1
- I. Lemieux, A. Pascot, D. Prud'homme, N. Almeras, P. Bogaty, A. Nadeau, J. Bergeron, J. P. Despres, "Elevated C-reactive protein: another component of the atherothrombotic profile of abdominal obesity. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol", Vol. 21, No. 6, pp.961-967, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.21.6.961
- Y. Saijo, N. Kiyota, Y. Kawasaki, Y. Miyazaki, J. Kashimura, M. Fukuda, R. Kishi, "Relationship between C-reactive protein and visceral adipose tissue in healthy Japanese subjects. Diabetes Obes Metab", Vol. 6, No. 4, pp.249-258, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1462-8902.2003.0342.x
- T. Yatagai, S. Nagasaka, A. Taniguchi, M. Fukushima, T. Nakamura, A. Kuroe, Y. Nakai, S. Ishibashi, "Hypoadiponectinemia is associated with visceral fat accumulation and insulin resistance in Japanese men with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism", Vol. 52, No. 10, pp.1274-1278, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-0495(03)00195-1
- K. Azuma, F. Katsukawa, S. Oguchi, M. Murata, H. Yamazaki, A. Shimada, T. Saruta, "Correlation between serum resistin level and adiposity in obese individuals. Obes Res", Vol. 11, No. 8, pp.997-1001, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2003.137
- A. Fukuhara, M. Matsuda, M. Nishizawa, K. Segawa, M. Tanaka, K. Kishimoto, Y. Matsuki, M. Murakami, T. Ichisaka, H. Murakami, E. Watanabe, T. Takagi, M. Akiyoshi, T. Ohtsubo, S. Kihara, S. Yamashita, M. Makishima, T. Funahashi, S. Yamanaka, R. Hiramatsu, Y. Matsuzawa, I. Shimomura. "Visfatin: a protein secreted by visceral fat that mimics the effects of insulin." Science, Vol. 307, No. 5708, pp.426-430, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1097243
- M. Cigolini, G. Targher, I. A. Bergamo Andreis, M. Tonoli, G. Agostino, G. De Sandre, "Visceral fat accumulation and its relation to plasma hemostatic factors in healthy men. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol", Vol. 16, No. 3, pp.368-374, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.16.3.368
- I. Mertens, L. F. Van Gaal, "Visceral fat as a determinant of fibrinolysis and hemostasis. Semin Vasc Med", Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.48-55, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-871741
- S. Miyazawa-Hoshimoto, K. Takahashi, H. Bujo, N. Hashimoto, Y. Saito, "Elevated serum vascular endothelial growth factor is associated with visceral fat accumulation in human obese subjects. Diabetologia", Vol. 46, No. 11, pp.1483-1488, 2004.
- E. Dusserre, P. Moulin, H. Vidal, "Differences in mRNA expression of the proteins secreted by the adipocytes in human subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissues. Biochim Biophys Acta", Vol. 1500, pp.88-96, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-4439(99)00091-5
- E. Ferrannini, E. J. Barrett, S. Bevilacqua, R. A. DeFronzo, "Effect of fatty acids on glucose production and utilization in man. J Clin Invest", Vol. 72, pp.1737-1747, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI111133
- K. Torok, Z. Szelenyi, J. Porszasz, D. Molnar, "Low physical performance in obese adolescent boys with metabolic syndrome. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord", Vol. 25, No. 7, pp.966-970, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801646
- J. H. Yoon, H. H. Lee, Y. H. Kim, "Analysis of Energy Expenditure during walking and running by % body fat in obese women. Journal of Aport and Leisure Studies", Vol. 18, pp.1257-1269, 2002.
- E. Goldhammer, A. Tanchilevitch, I. Maor, Y. Beniamini, U. Rosenschein, M. Sagiv, "Exercise training modulates cytokines activity in coronary heart disease patients. Int J Cardiol", Vol. 100, No. 1, pp.93-99, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2004.08.073
- G. P. Nassis, K. Papantakou, K. Skenderi, M. Triandafillopoulou, S. A. Kavouras, M. Yannakoulia, G. P. Chrousos, L. S. Sidossis, "Aerobic exercise training improves insulin sensitivity without changes in body weight, body fat, adiponectin, and inflammatory markers in overweight and obese girls. Metabolism", Vol. 54, No. 11, pp.1472-1479, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2005.05.013
- U. Gudat, S. Bungert, F. Kemmer, L. Heinemann, "The blood glucose lowering effects of exercise and glibenclamide in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus." Diabet Med, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 194-198, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9136(199803)15:3<194::AID-DIA546>3.0.CO;2-2
- M.. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, "Effects of walking exercise for wellness convergence in the digital age - Based on physical activity -, Journal of Digital Convergence". Vol. 13, No. 5, pp.365-374, 2015.
- Y. H. Jang, S. H. Kim, Y. S. Kim, S. H. Jung, J. Park, "The Relationship between Walking exercise and Quality of Life for Korean Adults. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management", Vol. 11, No. 5, pp.325-334, 2013.
- J. W. Chung, S. C. Sung, "The effect of applying u-health system on metabolic syndrome management of elderly. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management". Vol. 11, No. 11, pp.553-560, 2013.
- J. H. Nam, M. C. Lee, C. K. Lee, "The Effect of Regular Physical Activity on Health Status and Health romotion Lifestyle Profile in Male College Students. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management", Vol. 12, No. 9, pp.225-235, 2014.
- C. K. Jung, J. H. Youm, "The Effect of 12-Weeks Combined Training and Policosanol Supplimentation Inflammatory and Maker and Leptin in Obese Women. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management", Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.387-393, 2015.
- J. Y. Lee, M. S. Kim, S. H. Lee, "Effects of Fitness Management Class for Wellness Convergence - Based on Fitness, Obese Indices, Metabolic Syndrome Factors -, The Journal of Digital Policy & Management", Vol. 13, No. 5, pp.329-336, 2015.
- K. Y. Yun, Y. J. Kim, "The effect of circuit weight training on body composition and physical fitness of middle-aged women for 12 week. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management", Vol. 14, No. 6, pp.363-370, 2016.
- J. S. Hwang, Y. P. Kim, H. K. Park, H. S. Hwang, "The association of visceral fat area with anthropometric variables and its risk for metabolic syndrome. The Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine", Vol. 26, pp.766-773, 2005.