- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Qualitative study on Difficulties experienced and Coping process of Remarried elderly
재혼 노인이 겪는 어려움과 대처과정에 대한 질적 연구
- Lee, Do-Young (Dept. of Nursing, Ansan University) ;
- Lee, Hye-Jin (Seoul Women's College of Nursing) ;
- Jeong, Eun-Sun (Dept. of Nursing, Ansan University)
- Received : 2016.08.26
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
This study aims to understand the experiences of remarried elderly from the social, cultural point of view. The study subjects were randomly selected 3 remarried couples with age higher than 65 who could express their experience enough. This study adapted qualitative study with grounded theory method by Strauss and Corbin(1998), which deducted 126 significant sentences from the testimony of participants and classified those into 48 topics and categorized into 16. As for the study result, the main phenomenon was the "ambivalence of marriage" and the mediation conditions for controlling were "trust and acknowledgement of spouse and family", and "proper compensation", and the reaction/mutual reaction strategy to correspond to this situation was "to put effort to understand spouse". Such results will contribute to understanding the essence of marriage adjustment of remarried elderly, and are expected to be the fundamental material to tend to realistic problems that the widowed elderly face and to lead successfully remarriage.
Remarried elderly;Marriage adjustment process;Grounded theory method;Phenomenology;Qualitative research
- Korean Statistical Information Service, "2010 Elderly's Statistics", http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=180000 (May 20, 2016)
- Y. S. Park, "Study on Process and remarriage of elderly." Journal of Korean Hyo Studies, Vol. 3, pp. 155-179, 2006.
- J. Y. Jung, "MBC new", http://imnews.imbc.com/replay/2016/nw1800/article/3921069_19830.html (April 08, 2016)
- K. H. Yang, M. K. Jung, "Mediating Effects According to Family Type in the Complex Relationship between Psychological and Material Factors and Depression in the Elderly." The Society of Digital Policy and Management, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 437-444, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.437 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.437
- Y. C. Kim, J. N. Paik, "The Effects of Family Conflict, Social Support and Self-Esteem on Life Satisfaction of the Aged." The Society of Digital Policy and Management, Vol. 14 No. 7, pp.279-287, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.279 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.279
- C. S. Park, N. R. Bae, "A Study on the Remarriage of the Elderly People." Korean Association of Family Relations, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 115-132, 2005.
- T. H. Holmes, R. H. Rahe, "The social readjustment rating scale." Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol. 11, pp. 213-218, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(67)90010-4
- M. A. Lee, "Depression according to marital status, gender in the elderly." Korean Sociological Association, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 32-62, 2010.
- H. J. Jeon. "Social relationships and mental health of elderly", Korean Home Management Assocoation: Proceeding of the KHMA Conference, pp.1-17, 2003.
- S. Wiktorsson, B. Runeson, I, Skoog, S. Ostling, M. Waern, "Attempted suicide in the elderly: Characteristics of suicide attempters 70 years and older and a general population comparison group." American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 57-67, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181bd1c13
- Korean Statistical Information Service, "2015 remarriage Statistics", http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1B83A12&vw_cd=&list_id=&scrId=&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=K1&path= (July 10, 2016)
- H. S. Chung, G. S. Yoo, C. H. Lim, C. A. Jun, H. J. Cheon, "A Study on the current state of remarried families and quality of remarital relationship." Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 1-20, 2000.
- D. S. Lee, Y. C. Kim, "Inquiry on the philosophical backgrounds and methodological characteristics of grounded theory as qualitative research method." The Korea Association of Yeolin Education, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 1-26, May 2012.
- A. Strauss, J. Corbin, "Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory." Sage Publications, Inc. 1998.
- A. Strauss, J. Corbin, "Basics of qualitative research." Vol. 15, Newbury Park, CA: Sage. 1990.
- K. J. June, H. J. Joo, Y. M. Kim, "Occupational Health Nurses' Role Experiences." Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 250-260, November 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.250 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.250
- L. H. Ganong, M. Coleman, "Preparing for remarriage : Anticipation the issue, seeking solutions." Family Relations, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 28-33, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/583606
- H. G. Koo, "A Study on Proposal to Develop Senior related Policies : Convergence Approach of both Age Norm and Hoping Activities." The Society of Digital Policy and Management, Vol. 14, No.4, pp.101-110, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.101 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.101
- S. H. Cho, "Factors affecting the Health Promotion Behaviors of the Low-Income Elderly Living Alone-Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Social Support." The Society of Digital Policy and Management, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 423-431, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.423 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.423
- I. J. Park, "Divorced and remarried elderly." New Home, Vol. 45, pp. 21-23, 2002.