- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Relation of Interpersonal Relationship Harmony, Stress Coping and Adjustment to College Life among Nursing students
간호대학생의 대인관계 조화, 스트레스 대처방식과 대학생활 적응의 관계
- Yi, Ji-Eun (Dept. of Nursing, Daekyeung University) ;
- Kwak, Hye-Weon (Dept. of Nursing, Daekyeung University)
- Received : 2016.08.08
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
This study examined the effects of interpersonal relationship harmony and stress coping on the college adjustment among nursing students. The participants were 231. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and multiple regression. Adjustment to college life significantly correlated with interpersonal relationship harmony and stress coping style. Interpersonal relationship harmony was significantly different according to year, satisfaction with nursing as a major, and academic achievement. Multiple regression analysis showed that interpersonal relationship harmony and stress coping(problem-focused, emotion-focused, hopeful thought) explained 23% of variance in adjustment to college life. The study findings suggest that intervention intended to promote nursing students' adjustment to college life should focus on improving interpersonal relationship harmony and stress coping.
Nursing;Students;Adjustment;Interpersonal Relationship;Stress Coping
- J. H. Park, "A study on examining the mediating effect of stress upon the relationships between irrational beliefs, positive, negative emotions and adaption to school life of university students." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp161-185, 2015.
- Y. K. Kim, & H. Ju. "The effects of stress and health status on adaptation to college life among college students." Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp749-757, 2014.
- H. S. Kim, J. H. Lee, & Y. M. Ok, "A qualitative study on living as a university student." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, pp565-574, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.565
- E. Y. Chin, S. S. So, & M. I. Lee, "Effect of life stress and anger expression in college students on suicidal ideation." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp409-418, 2015.
- K. H. Yang, J. R. Lee, & B. N. Park, "Factors affecting adaptation to school life of freshmen enrolled in nursing at a junior college." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp5-13, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.005
- S. U. Yoon, & Y. S. Kwon, "Relationship between test anxiety and self-esteem in partial health related department convergence College students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp91-98, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.091
- M. H. Jeong, & M. A. Shin, "The relationship between self - esteem and satisfaction in major of nursing students." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp170-177, 2006.
- M. H. Nam, & H. O. Kim, "Relations between clinical practice emotional labor, self esteem and major satisfaction of among nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp263-273, 2016.
- J. H. Kim, "Relationships between nursing practice stress and stress coping of nursing students in Korea." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp409-415, 2014.
- H. J. Choi, & E. J. Lee, "Mediation effects of self-efficacy between academic stress and college adjustment in first year nursing students." The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp261-268, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.261 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.261
- Hurtado S, Carter DF, & Spuler A. "Latino student transition to college: Assessing difficulties and factors in successful college adjustment." Research in Higher Education, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp135-157, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01730113
- K. O. Hong, & H. W. Kang, "The influence of college students' attachment to parents, their self-efficacy for academic attainment to college life adaptation." The Association of Young Child Studies, Vol. 13, pp133-144, 2010.
- S. O. Choi, J. K. Park, & S. H. Kim, "Factors influencing the adaptation to the college life of nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp182-189, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.182 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.182
- W. H. Jun, M. J. Jo, & H. J. Na, "Relationships between anger expression, social supports and adjustment to college life among nursing students." The Korean Contents Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp219-228, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2015.15.03.219 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2015.15.03.219
- H. Y. Jung, "The convergence influence of life stress, depression and ego resiliency on college life adaptation in nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp259-268, 2016.
- S. Y. Yun, & S. H. Min, "Influence of ego-resilience and spiritual well-being on college adjustment in major of nursing student." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp395-403, 2014.
- S. H. Kim, & G. H. Park, "The development of the interpersonal relationship harmony program for university students." Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp375-393, 2010. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.11.1.201003.375
- J. A. Park, & E. K. Lee, "Influence of ego-resilience and stress coping styles on college adaptation in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp267-276, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.267
- AL. Stanton, S. Danoff‐burg, & ME. Huggins, "The first year after breast cancer and coping strategies as predictors of adjustment." Psycho‐Oncology. Vol. 11, No. 2, pp93-102, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.574
- RS. Lazarus, & S. Folkman, "Stress, appraisal, and coping." New York, Springer publishing company, 1984.
- CM, Aldwin, "Stress, coping, and development." New York, Guilford Press, 1994.
- H. Y. Kang, & E. Y. Choi. "Stress, stress coping methods, and college adjustment according to behavioral styles in freshman nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp289-297, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.289
- S. H. Jeong, & S. H. Park, "Relationship among stress, depression, and satisfaction to clinical practice among nursing students." The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp45-54, 2013.
- S. Y. Min, "Adjustment experiences of students in nursing education." Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp409-419, 2006.
- E. A. Kim, & K. I. Park, "Factor affecting adjustment of freshmen nursing students to college life." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp234-243, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.234 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.234
- S. H. Kim, & G. H. Park, "The development of the interpersonal harmony scale for university students." Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp375-389, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.375 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.375
- J. H. Kim, "The mediating effects of self-control and health promoting lifestyle in the relationship between life stress and adjustment to college life among college students." Unpublished master's thesis Ewha University, 2012.
- J. Y. Park, "A study on the relationship among character type A & B ego-identity and stress coping." Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, 1995.
- RW. Baker, & B. Siryk, "Measuring academic motivation of matriculating college freshmen." Journal of College Student Personnel. Vol. 25, No. 5, pp459-464, 1984.
- J. W. Hyun. "The effect of perfectionism and evaluative threat on the performance of task." Unpublished master's thesis, Yeonsei University of Korea, 1992.
- H. W. Kwak, & N. H. Kim. "Effects of an interpersonal relationship harmony program on nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp330-339, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.330 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.330
- S. K. Cho, & Y. S. Choi, "Effects of stress and coping style on depression and anxiety of male and female university students." Journal of Korean Family Therapy, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2014.
- LK. Tamres, D. Janicki, & VS. Helgeson, "Sex differences in coping behavior: A meta-analytic review and an examination of relative coping." Personality and Social Psychology Review, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp2-30, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327957PSPR0601_1
- A. Wang, L. Chen, B. Zhao, & Y. Xu, "First-year students' psychological and behavior adaptation to college: The role of coping strategies and social support." US-China Education Review, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp51-57, 2006.
- Y. S. Choi, "Factors influencing college life adjustment in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp423-432, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.423
- Y. J. Kim, Y. Y. Kim, & S. M. Lee, "The relationships among self-esteem, satisfaction with major, career identity and university life adjustment of university students in the department of children's english education." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp39-47, 2015.
- K. A. Chung, & J. H. Cho, "Differences between major satisfaction, university life adjustment, self-esteem and career identity according to the time of department selection of students in the department of occupational therapy at one university." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp143-155, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.143
- Y. H. Cho, "Relationship between characteristics and difference by the grade of stress in the nursing students-effect of national examination on stress." Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp64-73, 2005.
- S. S. Hwang. "A study on the effect of MBTI (Myers and Briggs Type Indicator) basic program on the interpersonal relationship between nursing science major students and their cohesion." Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp61-73, 2004.
- J. H. Oh, "The influencing factors of self-esteem and major satisfaction on college adjustment among nursing students." The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp873-884, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.10.873 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.10.87310.5392/jkca.2014.14.10.873
- M. H. Kim, "A study on ego-identity, interpersonal relations ability, and adjustment in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp55-64, 2008.
- M. S. Ko, "Ego-resilience and emotional intelligence, stress coping strategies & nursing student's adjustment to college." Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 10, pp280-291, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2015.15.10.280 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2015.15.10.280
- E. H. Park, & E. S. Choi, "Mediation effects of self-esteem and interpersonal relationship in the relations between adult attachment and adaptation to college." The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp57-79, 2015.
- B. G. Cheon, & N. M. Yang, "Interpersonal ability, psychological well-being of university student: Comparison of cluster by affect intensity, emotional attention and clarity, and ambivalence over emotional expression style." Korean Journal of Psychology: General, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp719-733, 2013.
- H. S. Yoon, Y. M. Hwang, D. B. Kim, & S. H. Jang, "The effects self-differentiation stress coping methods and mental health on life adjustment in university." The Journal of Korean Educational Forum, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp1-25, 2011.
- H. Y. Choi, "Stress coping pattern and psychological adjustment in college student." Korean Journal of Psychology: General, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp1-21, 2013.
- CJ. Forsythe, & BE. Compas, "Interaction of cognitive appraisals of stressful events and coping: Testing the goodness of fit hypothesis." Cognitive Therapy and Research, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp473-485, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01175357
- Factors Influencing Clinical Practice Burnout in Student Nurses vol.23, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.2.199