- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Mentoring Senior Core Fundamental Nursing Skills Education on Clinical Competence and Critical Thinking Disposition in Nursing Students
핵심기본간호술 선배멘토링교육이 간호대학생의 임상수행능력과 비판적 사고성향에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Yeong-Ran (Dept. of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Kang, Hyun-Lim (Dept. of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of mentoring senior core fundamental nursing skills education on clinical competence and critical thinking disposition in nursing students. The research design was a one group pre-posttest design and the participants were 57 nursing students. The contents consisted of 3 core fundamental nursing skills of vital sign, nelaton catheterization and subcutaneous injection and total duration of 6 hours. Mentoring seniors conducted to rapport forming & education and evaluated them after exercise and evaluation under the guidance of professor. Data were collected using self-administered questionnaires in pre-test and post-test, the collected data were analyzed using paired t-tests. The result shows the scores of clinical competence and critical thinking disposition were increased significantly after mentoring senior core fundamental nursing skills education in nursing students. The results indicate that this study was effective in improving nursing students clinical competence and critical thinking disposition in core fundamental nursing skills and is expected to be utilized in nusing practice education. Additional studies including those on control groups are recommended to compare difference between the experimental group and control group.
Core Fundamental Nursing Skills;Mentoring;Clinical Competence;Critical Thinking Disposition;Nursing Student
- S. S. Bang, I. O. Kim, "Relationship among essential of fundamental nursing skills performance, stress from work and work capability of new clinical nurses." The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 628-638, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.628
- C. J. Klein, E. R. Fowles, "An investigation of nursing competence and the competence outcomes performance assessment curricular approach: Senior students' self-reported perceptions." Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 109-121, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2008.08.006
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing, "Evaluative items for essentials of fundamental nursing skills of accreditation for nursing." Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, 2012.
- C. Barret, F. Myrick, "Job satisfaction in preceptorship and its effect on the clinical performance of the preceptee." Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 27, pp. 364-371, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00511.x
- E. S. Byeon, "A study on the relationship between newly graduated nurses' intention to turnover and job stress/satisfaction." Ph. D. dissertation, Yonsei University, 2009.
- D. W. Choi, "Clinical competence according to expe riences on the essential of fundamental nursing skills in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 184-191, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.184
- H. H. Han, "A study of convergence on frequency of performance, self-confidence, performance assessment scores of core nursing skills of nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 355-362, 2016.
- Y. H. Kim, S. Y. Hwang, A. Y. Lee, "Perceived confidence in practice of core basic nursing skills of new graduate nurses." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 37-46, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.37
- M. S. Jung, H. J. Kwon, " A structural equation model on core competencies of nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 256-265, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.256
- M. Y. Kim, "Affecting factors on clinical competence of nursing students." Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 1884-1893, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1884
- H. S. Kim, H. R. Park, E. H. Park, "Empowerment on clinical nursing skills core program." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 589-599, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.589
- J. S. Park, M. J. Choi, S. Y. Jang, "The effects of preclinical clinical performance examination on nursing students' confidence in nursing skills and critical thinking competence." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 75-85, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.75
- Y. Ran. Yeom, "Effects of the reeducation of core fundamental nursing skills on clinical stress, critical thinking disposition and self-confidence in nursing skills of senior nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 283-293, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.283
- Y. M. Yoon, M. H. Suk, "Effect of a mentoring program to improve adaptation to department and career identity in nursing college students." Journal of the Management Consulting, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 185-203, 2012.
- M. S. Jung, Y. S. Kwon, "The Effects of convergence-based reeducation on core basic nursing skills on nursing students' competence and confidence." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 295-302, 2015.
- M. Y, Jho, "Effects of core fundamental nursing skills education on self-efficacy, clinical competence and practice satisfaction in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 292-301, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.292 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.292
- H. S. Kim, "The development and effectiveness of mentoring programs for undergraduate nursing clinical practice." Korea Nursing Science Conference, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 329, 2012.
- K. A. Shin, B. H. Cho, "Professional self-concept, critical thinking disposition and clinical competence in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 46-56, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.046
- I. S. Lee, C. S. Park, "Factors influencing confidence in performance competence of core basic nursing skills by nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 297-307, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.297
- J. J. Yang, M. Y. Park, "The relationship of clinical competency and self-directed learning in nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 10, No. 02, pp. 271-277, 2004.
- J. Yoon, "Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition: in nursing." Ph. D. dissertation, Catholic University, 2004.
- J. Yoon, "A study on the critical thinking disposition of nursing students focusing on a school applying integrated nursing curriculum." Journal of Korean Academic Nursing Administration, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 159-166, 2008.
- H. S. Kim, "The development and effects of mentoring program for clinical exercise in nursing students." Korean Society of Nursing Science, Vol. 10, pp. 329, 2012.
- J. E. Lee, S. J. Lee, "College student's mentors of factors affecting the effect of mentoring." Education Review, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 55-74, 2012.
- Effects of an intensive clinical skills course on senior nursing students' self-confidence and clinical competence: A quasi-experimental post-test study vol.61, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2017.11.028