- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Influence of Perceived Social Support and Self-Efficacy on Stress-Coping Behaviors in School-Aged Children
학령기 아동이 지각한 사회적지지, 자기효능감이 스트레스 대처행동에 미치는 영향
- Moon, Young-Sook (Dept. of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Han, Jin-Sook (Dept. of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2016.09.22
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of perceived social support and self-efficacy on stress-coping behaviors among school-aged children. The subjects in this study were 312 selected students in an elementary school. Data were gathered from May 12 to 23, 2014. The collected data were analyzed by a statistical package SPSS. As a result, social support perceived by the children and their self-efficacy had significant positive correlations with positive stress-coping behaviors. As for influential predictors for positive stress-coping behaviors, social support and self- efficacy were significantly influential. The findings of the study ascertained that the children's positive stress-coping behaviors were under the heavy influence of social support and self-efficacy. In the future, the development of programs that aim at boosting social support and self-efficacy to affect the reduction of children's stress is required, and related intervention is also necessary.
- I. S. Kim, "A Comparative Study between Korea and America Elementary School Children's Stress Factors according to Physical Activities", Korean Society of Sport Psychology, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 139-152, 2009.
- Y. A. Jang, Y. J. Lee, "The relationships of Stress Degree, Coping Behavior & Self-Esteem among Late-Elementary Children", Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 543-569, 2004.
- Y. L. Hong, "Stressor, Coping Style, Communication with Mother & School Adaptation in 6th Grade Elementary School Children", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 362-371, 2000.
- Band, E. B., & Weisz, J. R., "How to feel better when it feels bad: Children's perspectives on coping with everybody stress", Developmental Psychology, Vol.24, pp. 247-253, 1998.
- Dubow, E. F., & Tisak, J., "The relation between stressful life events and adjustment in elementary school children : The role of socsupport and social problem-solving skills", Child Development, Vol.60, pp. 1412-1423, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130931
- G. H. Joo, "Exploring relationhships among korean cihldren's depression, smartphone addiction and school life satisfaction focusing on partial least square path modeling", Journal of digital convergence, Vol.11, No.12, pp.49-60, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.49
- Bandura, A., "Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change", Psychological Review, Vol. 84, pp. 191-215, 1997.
- M. H. Han, "A study on stress, perceived social supports, and behavior", Seoul National University, 1996.
- H. J. Han, "The Effects of self assertiveness training on the development of children's self-efficacy", Seoul National University of Education, 2002.
- H. Y. Min, A. J. Yoo, "Development of a Daliy Hassles Scale for School Age Children", Child Health Nursing Research ,Vol.19, No.2, pp. 77-96, 1998.
- H. S. Jung, "Perfectionism and self-confidence as factors for depression among primary school students", Sookmyung Women's University, 2006.
- M. S. Jeon, H. O. Kim, "The effects of self-efficacy and social support on depression in elementary school children", Journal of korean academy community health nursing, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 272-280, 2011. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.3.272
- S. J. Kim, "Mediating effects of self-efficacy on the ralationship between perceived social support and stress-coping behavior among children", Kungin University, 2008.
- Bandura, A., "Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive theory" Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1986.
- O. Choe, W. S. Lee, "Mediating effects of self-efficacy in the relationships between academic burnout and school adjustment on middle school students", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 12, No. 9, pp. 455-463, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.9.455
- S. I. Yeon, H. S. Ahn, & S. W. Oh, "The influence of the attachment of parents and the stress of school life middle-school students to the internet game addiction", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 10, No. 7, pp. 221-227, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.7.221
- Y. H. Chang, J. H. Han, J. S. Lee, "The structural relationship among teacher attachment, peer attachment, self-encouragement, career self-efficacy and career maturity", Journal of digital convergence, Vol.12, No.10, pp. 515-523, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.515
- J. A. Park, "Relationship between coping with stress in school-aged children and their behavior problems", Yon Sei University, 2001.
- Y. S. Hwang, "A study on the factors of children's daily hasslers and relationship with their coping behaviors", Cheju National University, 2007.
- Y. S. Jeong, "The influence of self-perception and social support on depressive symptoms", Chonnam National University, 2000.
- K. A. Kim, "Elementary school student's depression, social support, self efficacy, school adaptation", Chungnam National University, 2005.
- Y. S. Go, "A Study on the influence of parent's child-rearing attitudes and social support on Children's stress coping behavior-centering the stress of household affairs", Kyung Hee University, 2006.
- Y. J. Kim, C. S. Lee, "The mediating effect of hope between stress and suicidal ideation of adolescents", Journal of digital convergence, Vol.12, No.6, pp. 539-547, 2014.
- S. N. Seo, S. G. Lee, & S. H. Yim, "The effect of positive parenting style, self-efficacy, stress, and depression on school adjustment of adolesscents", Journal of digital convergence, Vol. 10, No. 8, pp. 327-333, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.8.327
- J. W. We, K. P. Cho, "An analysis of structural relations among children's perceived family strength, self-resilience, social support, stress-coping behavior, and psychological well-being", Korean Association for learner-centered curriculum and instruction research, Vol.14, No.8, pp. 237-264, 2014.
- K. N. Park, "Differences and effect of after school class experience on elementary students' sociality and self-esteem", Journal of digital convergence, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 45-56, 2014.
- H. Y. You, "The relationships among child-perceived social support, children's ego-resilience and their stress coping behaviors", Hannam University, 2010.