- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Perceived Family Strengths on Parenting Stress of Mothers with Disabled Children
장애아동 어머니가 지각한 가족건강성이 양육스트레스에 미치는 영향
- Ko, Chul-Soon (Dept. of Social Welfare, Daejeon University)
- 고철순 (대전대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2016.09.03
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
The purpose of study was to identify the influence of perceived family strengths on parenting stress of mother with disabled children. Cross-sectional descriptive study design was employed. Participants were mothers with disabled children who recruited from D & C city. Collected data was analyzed using SPSS 21 version with descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, & multiple regression. Family strength was negatively correlated with the parenting stress. In regression analysis, religion, treatment period, and family strength had a significant impact on parenting stress (F=5.158, p<.001) and these factors explained 28.5% of the parenting stress. These findings indicated that it is necessary to develop a program for increasing family strength in parent with disabled children.
Family strength;Parenting stress;Disabled children;Parent;Mothers with disabled children
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, "The statistical yearbook.", http://stat mohw.go.kr/front/statData/mohwAnnalsWpView.jsp?menuId=14&nttSeq=21849 &bbsSeq=1&nttClsCd=01.
- S-Y. B, N-J. Cho, S-J, P. "The effects of family resilience on the positive attitudes towards a children with disabilities and non-disabled siblings." Journal of Digital Policy and Management, Vol. 11, No. 9, pp. 239-246, 2013.
- M. J. Yoo, "A case study on the rearing attitude and rearing stress of the mothers of handicapped children : with focus on the parents' education program" Master's thesis, Myongji University, 2009.
- Shyam, R., Govil, K. and Govil, D., "Stress and family burden in mothers of children with disabilities." International Journal of Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Studies, Vol. 1, No.4, pp.152-159, 2014.
- S. E. Kim, J. K. Eo, "The Effect of life-satisfaction in mothers rearing children with disabilities: parenting stress, disability- acceptance, and social support." Journal of Life-span Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 19-35, 2015. https://doi.org/10.30528/jolss.2015.5.1.002
- Goudie, A., Havercamp, S., Ranbom, L., Jamieson, B. "Caring for Children with Disabilities in Ohio: The Impact on Families, Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council.", 2008.
- M-R. Kim, N-Y. Kim, "A study on the level of depression and parent efficacy of the mothers of children with disabilities in some areas of Daejeon." Journal of Digital Policay and Management, Vol. 11, No. 8, pp303-313, 2013.
- Y-R. Lee, N-J. Kim. "A study on the factors of convergent caring competency for promotion of care givers' wellness of disabled children." Journal of Digital Policy and Management, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp479-487, 2016.
- M. L. Kim, M. J. Oh, I. S. Oh, S. J. Huh, "The effects of the active parenting today on the self encouragement-discouragement and the parenting stress of mothers of children with disabilities." The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 1665-1683, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.4.200812.1665
- J. H. Kim, M. K. Jin, "The mediating effects of psychological well-being on the relationship between parenting stress and parenting behavior of mothers of children with developmental disabilities." Korean Journal of Play Therapy, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 285-305, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17641/KAPT.18.4.2
- S. Y. Ahn, "The of effects that parenting stress, depression and disability acceptance of developmental disability children's mothers have on child abuse." Korean Council of Physical, Multiple & Health Disabilities, Vol. 58. No. 1, pp. 219-238, 2015. https://doi.org/10.20971/kcpmd.2015.58.1.219
- Olson, D. H., DeFrain, J., and Skogrand, L. "Marriages and families: intimacy, diversity, and strengths." McGraw Hill, 2010.
- H. S. Kim, Y. H. Shin, H. Y. Kim, "Development of prediction model for depression among parents with disabled children: based on the mediation effect ffect of social supports and family resilience." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 171-178, 2016.
- A. J. Kim, "Effects of family resilience on family health." Korean Journal of Family Social Work, Vol. 27, No. 74, pp. 73-102, 2009.
- J. K. Kim, S. Y. Shin, "Maternal caring stress, caring attitude and family resilience of mothers of children with mental retardation." Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 105-125, 2012.
- S. M. Lee, K. S. Kim, "The effect of family stress and family strengths on depression of married people." Korean Association of Family Relations, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 3-22, 2012.
- M. O. Kim, "A study on the effects of family resilience of adaptation of family of children with disabilities." The Korean Association of Family Welfare, Vol. 8, No.13, pp. 9-40, 2001.
- E. J. Jang, "A study on parent's rearing stress of a handicapped child-focusing on papers from the 2000s" Korean Journal of Child Welfare, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 123-137, 2007.
- E. J. Lee, M. K. Jun, "A meta-Analysis of the related variables with martial satisfaction for marriage migrant women." Korea Social Policy Review, Vol.21 No.4, pp.9-44, 2014.
- J. E. Seo, H. J. Kim, "Influences on family functioning: A meta-analysis." Korean Journal of Family Therapy, Vol 20, No. 3, pp.457-486, 2012.
- G. H. Lee, J. S. Shin, "Predictors of disabled children's family strength perceived by their parents." Journal of Disability and Welfare, Vol. 31, pp. 79-110, 2016.
- M. Y. Shim, J. L. Kim, .S. A. An, "Influence of stress on family adaptation of disabled family : focused on the mediation effect of family strength." Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 267-276, 2014.
- Y. J. Yoo, M. H. Lee, E. R. Paik, B. C. Choi, "A study on family burden and needs for family support for parents of children with disabilities." Special Education Research, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 209-234, 2011. https://doi.org/10.18541/ser.2011.02.10.1.209
- K. A. Crnic, M. T. Greenberg, "Parenting daily hassles scale.", Society for Research in Child Development, Vol.61, No.5, pp.1628-1637, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130770
- J. Y. An, "The effects of maternal parental beliefs, efficacy and stress on mother's parenting behaviors.", Doctoral dissertation, Ehwa University, 2001.
- J. M. Park, "A Comparative study between patents of preschooler with and without developmental delays on nurturing attitude,nurturing burden and family strength." Master's thesis, Kyungbuk University, 2011.
- S. A. Ahn, M. Y, Shim, "Influences of family strengths on the family stresses and family resilience of disability families." Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 278-284, 2013.
- K. H, Ryu, K. I. Han, H. S. Lee, "Influence of the characteristics of children with disabilities and their mothers on the stress of the mothers of the children by four categories of the disabilities." The Journal of Special Children Education, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 437-461, 2011.
- M. Y. Jeong, H. M. Yoon, "Stress and quality of life of disabled children's mothers according to the children's disability type." Journal of Human Ecology, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 21-37, 2004.
- J. K. Chung, "Stress and a proper step of the mother who has a children with physical disability." The Journal of Special Education : Theory and Practice, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 245-265, 2009.
- D. G. Lee."The effects of social support on the parenting stress and psychological well-being of mothers with developmentally disabled children." The Journal of Child Education, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp161-188, 2013.
- Henderson, W. M., Uecker, J. E. "The role of religion in parenting satisfaction and parenting stress among young parents." The Sociological Quarterly, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp 675-710, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1111/tsq.12147