- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Convergence Study on Relationship between Workplace Violence and Mental Health for Subway Workers
지하철 근로자의 직장 내 폭력과 정신건강과의 관련성에 대한 융복합 연구
- Choi, Suk-Kyong (Department of Nursing, Kyungdong of University)
- 최숙경 (경동대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.08.25
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
This study was aimed at identifying the actual state of workplace violence based on a survey conducted to 876 subway workers in Seoul and determining the relationship between workplace violence and mental health of workers. Data were collected via web site, using a structured questionnaire and for the analysis of the data, a multiple linear regression analysis was carried out by the statistical program SPSS 20.0. According to the results, the perpetrators of violence turned out to be "passengers" in all types of workplace violence: physical violence, verbal violence, sexual harassment and disregard for personality. As for the relationship between workplace violence and the mental health of the workers, statistically significant differences were shown between all the above mentioned workplace violence types and sub-areas of mental health. Also, as for the impact of workplace violence on the mental health of the workers, significant differences were found in physical violence, sexual harassment and disregard for personality, with 8.3 percent of explanatory power. Based on these findings, the study suggests the establishment and the application of customer interaction guidelines to protect subway workers from workplace violence along with specific measures customized for each work environment to prevent violence.
Workplace violence;Mental health;Subway workers;Health-related characteristics;Job-related characteristics;Convergence
- International Labour Office, International Council of Nurses, World Health Organization, & Public Services International(2002). Framework guidelines for Workplace violence in the health sector. Geneva: ILO․ICN․WHO․PSI.http://www.who.int/violence injury prevention/violence/int-erpersonal/en/WV.guideline sEN.pdf.2011.08.16
- International Council of Nurses.(2006). Position statement:Abuse and violence against nursing personnel. http://www.icn.ch/images/steries/do-cuments /publications/position_statements/C01_Abuse_Viole nce_Nsg_Personnel.pdf.2009.10.20.
- K. Braun, D. Christle, D. Walker & G. Tiwanak, "Verbal abuse of nurses and non-nurses." Nursing Management, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 72-76, 1991.
- K. J. Chang, "A study on the development of work stress and work violence prevention and reduction program." Unpublished master's, Chung-Ang University, Seoul. 2003.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (2011). OSHA instruction: Enforcement procedures for investigation or inspecting workplace violence incidents. http://www.osha, gov/OshDoc/Directive_pdf/CPL_02_01_052.pdf.2009.10.20
- California Occupational Health and Safety Administration. Cal/OSHA guidelines for workplace security. Available;http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh%5Fpubl ications/worksecurity.html[cited 15 June 2009.
- KM.. McPhaul, JA. Lipscomb. "Workplace violence in health care: recognized but not regulated." Online J Issues Nurse, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 1-18, 2004.
- K. Olszewski, C. Parks, NE. Chikotas, "Occupational safety and health objectives of healthy people 2010:A systematic approach for occupational health nurses-Part II." American Association of Occupational Health Nurse. Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 115-123, 2007.
- Korea Occupational Safety and Health Association, "Workplace Violence Prevention Guide." Health 2009-11-1067.http://www.kosha.or.kr/
- S. Y. Kim, S. N. Yun, "Conditions of Workplace Violence Experience among Workers in the Distribution Industry." J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 212-221, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.2.212
- E. N. Park, J. H. Kim, "The Experiences of Workplace Violence toward Nurses in Hospitals in Jeju Province, South Korea." Korean J of Occup Health Nurs, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 212-220, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.212
- S. Y. Kim, H. Y. AN, H. S. Kim, "Violence Experiences of Clinical Nurses and Nurse Aids in Hospitals." Korean J of Occup Health Nurs, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 76-85, 2008.
- J. H. Kim, J. Y. Kim, Seung-Sup Kim, "Workplace Violence and Depressive Symptoms among Medical Residents in South Korea : 2014 Korean Interns & Residents Survey." Korean Association of Health and Medical Sociology, Vol. 39, pp. 75-95, 2015.
- H. Y. Lee, H. S. Moon, M. K. Shin, "The Influence of Workplace Violence on Anger and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder among Nurses." Korean J Occup Health Nurs, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 240-248, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.3.240
- C. B. Byun, K. W. Youn, K. H. Jung-Choi, Y. H. Cho, D. M. Paek, "Depressive Symptoms of Workplace Violence Exposed Subjects in Korea." Korean J Occup Environ Med, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 314-323, 2009.
- G. H. Lim, "The Reillumination on Psychological Measurement of Symptom Checklist-90-Rev-ised. " Korea J Educational Psychology Asscociation, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 157-189, 1997.
- J. Y. Kim, "Study on Stress and Mental Health of Metropolitan New City Housewives." Ewha Women University Graduate school master's thesis, 2003.
- S. K. Choi, K. S. Lee, J. U. Lee, J. W. Gu and J. I. Park, "Health Behavior Practices and Needs for Health Promotion Program According to Shift Work Pattern in Subway Workers." Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 37-51, 2003.
- K. S. Lim, "The relationship between coping and psychosocial stress in subway workers." Yonsei University Graduate School of Public Health Master's Thesis, 2004.
- D. M. Kang, Y. C. Shin, "A Study on working conditions and health status of the Subway workers and working environment assessment report." Korea Institute of safety at work and health, 2003.
- J. H. Kim, K. I. Kim, "The standardization study of Symptom Checklist-90-Revision in Korea III." Mental Health Research, Vol. 2, pp. 278-311, 1984.
- L. R. Derogatis, SCL-90 Manual-1. Baltimore, MA: John Hopkins University Clinical Psychometrics Research Unit. 1977.
- S. K. Choi, E. S. Jung, "The influential Factors of excessive daytime sleepiness for public Service Workers at Subway Stations." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 225-233, 2015.
- B. R. Jeon, H. J. Lee, "Comparison in Convergence Factors in Stress of Workers in the Field of Railroad Electricity and Vehicles by their working position." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 337-347, 2016.
- G. P. Hong, G. C. Oh, C. B. Lee, "A study of elderly private security guards about their victimization experience in the workplace and their perception of occupational stress." Korea J of Security Science Association, Vol. 36, pp. 469-492, 2013.
- H. J. Kim, D. H. Park, "The effects of workplace bullying on turnover intention in hospital nurses." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 241-252, 2016.
- O. K. Yang, H. K. Park, G. H. Sohn, "The Study of Factors Affecting the Mental Health of Migrant Workers." Vol. 35, pp. 141-175, 2010.
- J. H. Kim, K. S. Sung, "Relation in Recognition of Physical Education and Mental Health." Korean J society for Wellness, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 163-176, 2013.
- E. J. Seo, S. Y. Kim, "Workplace Violence Experiences among Care Helpers." Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 607-614, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.607
- K. H. Kim, J. Y. Kwon, "A Study on the Client Experience from Violence of the Social Worker." Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 275-311, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2013.33.4.275
- S. J. Yoon, H. J. Kim, "A Study of the Factors influencing on Client's Violence in a Shelter for Teenage Runaway." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 1-11, 2013.
- H. L. Ro, S. J. Kim, M. H. Lee, "Relationship between Job Stress and Mental Health of Caretakers." Korea J of Contents Association, Vol. 9, No. 11, pp. 297-308, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.11.297
- Y. H. Jeong, K. H. Lee, "Effect of Verbal Abuse Experience, Coping Style and Resilience on Emotional Response and Stress During Clinical Practicum among Nursing Students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 391-399, 2016.
- W. H. Moon, K. S. Chung, M. J. Kim, "Mental Health, Stress, Coping Ability, and Coping Strategies among College Students." Korean J Health Educ Promot, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 103-114, 2012.
- M. J. Kim, E. Y. Chen, "Analysis of Causal Model on Experience of Parter Violence and Temptation of Quit Exercise of Dance Sports Participant." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 579-592, 2014.
- Y. H. Jeong, "Convergent approach of phenomenological methodology about Emergency Nurses' experience of hospital violence", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 63-75, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.063
- M. Y. Lee, E. J. Chang, "Subtypes based on the psychological characteristics of perpetrators of school violence." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 459-469, 2016.
- Y. T. Jung, J. A. Oh, Y. J. Lee, "The study on factors affecting committing behavior school violence according to the degree of Internet addiction." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 77-86, 2012.