- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Effectiveness of Nursing Information Literacy Competency Enhancement Program on Evidence-Based Practice Competencies and Problem Solving Skills in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 간호정보활용역량 강화프로그램이 근거기반실무 역량과 문제해결능력에 미치는 효과
- Ha, Yeong-Mi (College of Nursing & Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Meiling (College of Nursing & Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Chae, Yeo-Joo (College of Nursing & Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2016.08.23
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
The purpose of this study was to develop and examine the effectiveness (knowledge, attitude, skills of Evidence-Based Practice, and problem solving skills) of nursing information literacy competency enhancement program for nursing students. It is a pre-post design study carried out with a single group of 72 sophomores in a nursing college. Nursing information literacy competency enhancement program of 6 times (8 hours) was provided to nursing students. Our results have demonstrated that knowledge, attitude, skills of evidence-based practice, and problem solving skills were significantly higher in nursing students. In conclusion, the nursing information literacy competency enhancement program was effective in promoting knowledge, attitude, skills of evidence-based practice and problem solving skills. Based on our results, the nursing information literacy competency enhancement program can provide a basis for enhancing evidence-based nursing practice competencies and problem solving skills of nursing students.
Nursing information literacy competency;Evidence-Based Practice;problem solving skill;nursing students;Evidence-Based Nursing
- Committee on the Health Proffessions Education Summit, Institute of Medicine, In A. C. Greiner, & E. Knebel, (Eds.), "Health professions education: A bridge to quality.", Washington, DC: The National Academics Press, 2003.
- S. E. Straus, W. S. Richardson, P. Glasziu, R. B. Haynes, "Evidence-based practice: How to practice and teach it.", 4e, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2010.
- C. E. Brown, M. A. Wickline, I. Ecoff, & D. Glaser, "Nursing practice, knowledge, attitudes and perceived barriers to evidence-based practice at an academic medical center." Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 65, No. 2, pp.371-381, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04878.x
- B. M. Melnyk, E. Fineout-Overholt, C. Stetler, & J. Allen, "Outcomes and implementation strategies from the first U.S. evidence-based practice leadership summit." Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp.113-121, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-6787.2005.00022.x
- D. S. Pravikoff, S. T. Pierce, A. Tanner, "Evidence-based practice readiness study supported by academy nursing informatics expert panel." Nursing Outlook, Vol. 53, No. 1, pp.49-50, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2004.11.002
- E. G. Oh, H. J. Oh, & Y. J. Lee, "Nurses' research activities and barriers of research utilization." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 838-848, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.838
- H. K. Burns, & S. M. Foley, "Building a foundation for an evidence-based approach to practice: Teaching basic concepts to undergraduate freshman students." Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 351-357, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.10.001
- L. Cronenwett, G. Sherwood, J. Barnsteiner, J. Disch, J. Johnson, P. Mitchell, D. T. Sullivan, J. Warren, "Quality and safety education for nurses." Nursing Outlook, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp.122-131, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2007.02.006
- B. M. Melnyk, E. Fineout-Overholt, L. Gallagher-Ford, & L. Kaplan, "The state of evidence-based practice in US nurses: Clitical implications for nurse leaders and educators." Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol. 42, No. 9, pp.410-417, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0b013e3182664e0a
- Royal College of Nursing, "Using and managing information. nursing, midwifery, health and social care information literacy competencies." Royal College of Nursing, London.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, "The essencials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice." Washington, DC: American Association of College of Nursing, 2008.
- L. C. Callister, G. Matsumura, S. Lookinland, S. Mangum, & C. Loucks, "Inquiry in baccalaureate nursing education: Fostering evidence-based practice." The Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp.59-64, 2005.
- J. S. Kim, "Development and effects of the evidence based practice education program for undergraduate nursing students." Gyeongsang national University, PhD. dissertation, 2014.
- M. H. Park, "Effects of evidence based practice integrated critical care clinical practicum." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp.346-354, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.346
- K. S. Jang, E. A. Kim, H. Y. Park, "The effects of an evidence-based nursing course using action learning on undergraduate nursing students." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.119-128, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.119
- J. G. Lalor, M. Clarke, & G. Sheaf. "An evaluation of the effectiveness of information literacy training for undergraduate midwives to improve their ability to access evidence for practice." Nurse Education in Practice, Vol. 12, pp.269-272. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.06.005
- Y. M. Ha, J. E. Cho, & S. K. Yang, "Relationships amomg information resources use, problem solving ability, nursing information literacy competency in general hospital." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp.289-297, 2016.
- E. G. Oh, S. K. Kim, S. Kim, E. Y. Cho, J. S. Yoo, H. S. Kim, J. H. Lee, J. M. A. You, & H. Lee, "Integrating evidence-based practice into RN-to-BSN clinical nursing education." Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 49, No. 7, pp.387-392, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20100331-02
- H. M. Park, & H. S. Lee, "The effects of career education program on career self-efficacy, career adaptability and career stress for nursing students." The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 15, No. 8, pp.304-312, 2015.
- M. Ruzafa-Martinez, L. Lopez-Iborra, T. Moreno-Casbas, & M. Madrigal-Torres, "Development and varidation of the competence in evidence based practice questionnaire (EBP-COQ) among nursing students." BMC Medical Education, Vol. 13, No. 19, pp.1-10, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-13-1
- M. O. Gu, Y. Ha, J. Kim, "Development and validation of an instrument to assess knowledge and skills of evidence-based nursing." Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 9-10, pp.1380-93, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12754
- Korean Education development Institute, "Study on the development of the life-skills: communication, problem solving, and self-directed learning", RR2003-15-03, Korean Education development Institute.
- A. M. Ross, J. Noone, L. L. Luce, & S. A. Sideras, "Spiraling evidence-based practice management concepts in an undergraduate curriculum: A systematic approach." Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 48, No. 6, pp.319-326, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090515-04
- E. A. Sastre, J. C. Denny, J. A. McCoy, A. B. McCoy, & A. Spickard, "Teaching evidence-based medicine: Impact on students' literature use and inpatient clinical documentation." Medical Teacher, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp.36-312, 2011.
- Q. Zhang, T. Zeng, Y. Chen, & X. Li, "Assisting undergraduate nursing students to learn evidence-based practice through self-directed learning and workshop strategies during clinical practicum." Nurse Education Today, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp.570-575, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.05.018
- Y. J. Chae, Y. M. Ha, "Effectiveness of education program for core fundamental nursing skills using recording video with smartphone and formative feedback." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp.285-294, 2016.
- K. A. Chung, J. H. Cho, "Differences between major satisfaction, university life adjustment, self-esteem and career identity according to the time of department selection of students in the department of occupational therapy at one university." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp.143-155, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.143
- E. H. Park, H. S. Kim, J. O. Kim, "The effect of convergence action learning techniques in simulation class." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp.241-248, 2015.
- H. S. Kim, H. R. Park, & E. H. Park, "Empowerment on clinical nursing skills core program." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp.589-599, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.589
- J. M. Kim, Y. S. Choi, "Effect of practice education using the simulator, critical thinking, problem solving ability and nursing process confidence of nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.263-270, 2015.