- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Personality Types of Nurses and the Relation between Self-Efficacy and Clinical Performance Ability
간호사의 성격유형, 자기효능감과 임상수행능력 간의 관계
- Park, Young-Mi (Department of Nursing College Kosin University) ;
- Ju, Hyeon-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Kaya University)
- Received : 2016.08.17
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
This study was to determine the relationship between nurse DISC personality types, self-efficacy, clinical performance. Data were collected from 302 nurses in 5 hospitals in K city. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient. With regard to self-efficacy and clinical performance, D type showed a higher score than type I type and S type. The lower region of the clinical performance showed the nursing process, nursing skills, higher score than the D Type S Type in professional development. With regard to personality and self-efficacy, and clinical performance, the type D (r=.56, p<.01), I type (r=.66, p<.01), S type (r=.6, p<.01) showed a positive correlation with type C (r=.52, p<.01). As shown by these results, each personality type has a different correlation with self-efficacy and clinical performance ability. This factor should be considered in the assignment of nurses to departments or individual training programs so that they can deliver the most effective job performance.
Nurse;DISC test;Personality types;Self-efficacy;Clinical performance ability
- G. H. Jung & Y. I. Park, "Relationships among Work Stress, Self-Efficacy and the Task Performance of the Preceptor." Institute of Oriental Medicine Daejeon University, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 151-161, 2012.
- Y. W. Shin, H. J. Lee & Y. J. Lim, "Predictors of the clinical competence in new graduate nurses." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 37-47, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.37
- H. K. Lee, "Converged Influencing Factors on Compassion Competence in Clinical Nurses." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 15-22, 2015.
- M. S. Jung & Y. S. Kwon, "The Effects of Convergence-Based Reeducation on Core Basic Nursing Skill on Nursing Students' Competence and Confidence." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 295-302, 2015.
- E. M. Jun, "The Influencing Factors on Clinical Competence of Nursing Students." Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 44-56, 2014.
- K. M. Lim, S. K. Bae & H. S. Kim, "The Effects of Self-Leadership and Self-Efficacy on Organizational Effectiveness and Organizational Citizenship Behavior in Nurses." The Korean journal of health service management, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 259-272, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.3.259
- S. M. Shortell, A. D. Kaluzny, "Health care management: organization, design, and behavior(5th ed). Clifton Park NY: Thomson Delmar Learning Company." 2006.
- M. J. Kim, G. Y. Kang, The Convergence Study on the Relationship between the Job Stress and Mental Health of Nurses." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 39-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.039
- M. J. Kim & K. J. Kim, "The influence of nurses' clinical career and communication within organization on teamwork competecy." Journal of Digital Convegence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 333-344, 2016.
- M. Y. Mun & S. Y. Hwang, "Impact of DISC Behavoiral Styles on Job Satisfaction and Clinical Competencies among Newly Hired Nurses." Journal Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 43-52. 2015. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.43
- J. S. Choi & N. Y. Yang, "Nursing performance and Organizational Socialization of New nurses according to Teaching Style of Preceptors and Personality of New Nurses." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 281-289, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.281
- H. S. Sim & S. Y. Ahn, "The Influence of Ego State and Interpersonal Skill among Nursing Students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 269-275, 2015.
- S. D. Kim, S. S. Kim & I. G. Kim, "Difference in Sport Instructors Job Satisfaction according to DISC Behavoir." Korean Journal of sport Management, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 75-89, 2008.
- Y. S. Lee, & S. M. Hong, "A study on dental satisfaction and behavior patterns of dental Patients (DISC)." Journal Korean Academy Dental Hygiene Education, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 380-391, 2009.
- Bandura, A. "Social Foundations of thought and action, A Social Cognitive theory." Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, Prentice-Hall, p.390-453, 1986.
- E. Y. Choi & K. H. Kim, "A Study on the Professional Self Concept, Self Efficacy and Job Satisfaction of Nephrology Nurses." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 345-355, 2000.
- O' Halloran V. E., Pollock S. E., Gottlieb T, Schwartz F, "Improving Self-Efficacy in Nursing Research," Clinical Nurse Specialist, Vol. 10, No. 2, 83-87, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002800-199603000-00009
- S. H. Kim & M. J. Kim, "The Effect of Career Preparation Program on Self-esteem, Self-efficacy related career decision-making and Career Development Readiness in University Students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No. 4, pp.407-418, 2016.
- Y. K. Kim & H. K. Kim, "The moderating roles of employees' self-efficacy and trust in leader on the relationship between ethical leadership and employees' behaviors." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No. 3, pp. 71-81, 2016.
- S. Y. Yun & M. S. Kim, "A study on the relevance among Self efficacy, Major satisfaction, Nursing ethics values in Nursing Students before Clinical Practice." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 363-372, 2014.
- S. Y. Lee & Y. Y. Kim, "The Effects of Self-efficacy and Self-directed Learning Readiness to Self-leadership of Nursing Student." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No. 3, pp. 309-318, 2016.
- J. H. Han, "Moderating Effect of Self-efficacy between Convergence-type Job Insecurity and Organizational Citizen Behavior." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 237-245, 2016.
- E. K, Roh & S. O. Shin, "The Influence of Job Stress, DISC Behavoiral Type and Organizational Social Capital on Job Statisfaction among Some Nurses." Korean Journal of hospital managemnt, Vol. 20. No.4, pp. 14-30, 2015.
- I. S. Yu, "Difference in Job Satisfaction According to Nurses' Personality Type." Unpublished master's thesis, SeongShin women Uuniversity, Seoul. 2014.
- K. H. Bang, H. K. Jang, & Y. M. Jung, "Relation between the DISC Behavior, Coping Type and Level of Stress and Job Satisfaction, Organizational Committment of Hospital Employees." Journal of Hospital Management, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 17-32, 2010.
- J. H. Kim, & M. Y. Kim, "Research on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Immersion, Job Stress by DISC Behavoir Pattern of Hospital Staffs." Korea Academic Society Spring Conference, pp. 917-919. 2011.
- H. K. Kim, H. S. Ji, E. K. Ryu, & M. K. Jeon, "Comparison of Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, and Burnout by Personalities of Nurses in Hospitals-Using Korean Enneagram Personality Type Indicators: KEPTI." Clinical Nursing Reserch, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 109-121, 2005.
- S. H. Yoon & B. S. Kim, "New Graduate Nurses' Stress, Stress Coping, Adaptation to Work, and Job Satisfaction: Change Comparison by Personality." Journal Korean Academy Nurses Administration, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 491-500, 2006.
- M. S. Yoon, "A Study on the Personality Types(DISC) and Clinical Competency of Nursing Students." Korean Comparative Government Review, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 433-448, 2007. https://doi.org/10.18397/kcgr.2007.11.2.433
- Y. H. Lee, "Beauty Services Satisfaction and Revisit Purpose Following Customer's Personality Types-In Center of DISC Behavoir Type." Unpublished master's thesis, SeoKyung University, Seoul, 2012.
- Sherer, M., Maddux, J. E., Mercandante, B., Prentice-Dunn, S. & Jacobas, B., "The self-efficacy scale : Construction and Validation." Psychological Report, 51, p.663-671, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1993
- A. S. Jeong, "A Study on the Relations Between a Health Promoting Behaviors and Self-efficacy in General Hospital nurse." Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2007.
- Schwirian, P. M., "Evaluating the performance of nurses: A multi-dimensional approach." Nursing Research, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 347-351, 1978.
- M. S. Choi, "A study on the relationship between teaching effectiveness of clinical nursing education and clinical competency in nursing student." Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha womans University, Seoul, 2005.
- S. I. Lim, "The Effect of Perceived Internal Marketing Activities, Self-efficacy, and Satisfaction on the Customer-oriented Attitudes among Hospital Nurses." Unpublished doctoral thesis, ChoSun University, KwangJu, 2014.
- Y. K. Ko, & K. H. Kang, "A Study on the Relationship between Self-efficacy, Collective-efficacy and Job Stress in the Nursing Staff," Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 276-286, 2006.
- S .H. Tae & E. H. Hwang, "Nurses Clinical Competence and its Relationship with Perception of and Compliance with Standard Precautions." Korean Journal Health Promot, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 40-46, 2012.
- O. S. Lee & M. O. Gu, "The Relationship between Emotional intelligence and Communication skill, Clinical competence & Clinical practice stress in Nursing Students." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 2749-2759, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- J. S. Jeong, "The Influence of Self-efficacy and Professional Identify on Competency Performance Ability in Operating Room Nurses." Korean National University of Transportation, ChungJu, 2013.
- Y. H. Kim, K. Y Lee & S. C. Lee, "DISC Four characteristics of our actions can not avoid anyone." Seoul. Learning books Company, 2012.
- Comparisons of Clinical Practicum Stress, Depression, and Self-Efficacy among Nursing Students: Focusing on Type D Personality and non-Type D Personality vol.26, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2017.26.3.217
- Levels of Clinical Practice Stress and Coping Strategies according to Nursing Students' Personality/Behavior Types vol.14, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.16952/pns.2017.14.2.81
- Effects of a Neonatal Nursing Practice Program on Students’ Stress, Self-efficacy, and Confidence vol.24, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2018.24.3.319