- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The effect of value diversity on team indentity and team conflict
팀제구성원의 가치 다양성이 팀정체성과 갈등에 미치는 영향: 포용성의 조절효과를 중심으로
- Kim, Young-Hyung (IT Convergence Department, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Hye-Kyoung (Gyeongbuk Women's Policy Development Institute)
- Received : 2016.09.02
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of value diversity on team identity and team conflict and to explore the moderating roles of inclusive climate in the relationship between value diversity and team identity and in the relationship between value diversity and team conflict. This study developed four hypotheses and tested them using regression and hierarchical regression analyses. The results showed that the positive relationship between value diversity and team identity and the negative relationship between value diversity and team conflict were statistically supported. And this study found that inclusive climate played moderating roles in the relationship between value diversity and team identity and in the relationship between value diversity and team conflict. Based on the findings of the study, this study presented managerial implications and suggestions for future studies.
Value diversity;Team identity;Team conflict;Inclusive climate;Team performance
Supported by : 금오공과대학교
- G. Han and P. D. Harms, "Team identification, trust, and conflict: A mediation model", International Journal of Conflict Management, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 20-43, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1108/10444061011016614
- M. Dayan and C. A. Di Benedetto, "Antecedents and consequences of teamwork quality in new product development projects: An empirical investigation", European Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 129-155, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1108/14601060910928201
- N. Vohra and V. Chari, "Inclusive workplaces: lessons from theory and practices", The Journal for Decision Makers, Vo. 40, No. 3, pp. 324-362, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/0256090915601515
- T.-P. Liang, C.-C. Liu, T.-M. Lin and B. Lin, "Effect of team diversity on software project performance", Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 107, No. 5, pp.636-653, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570710750408
- V. Peltokorpi, "The impact of relational diversity and socio-cultural context on interpersonal communication: Nordic subsidiaries in Japan", Asian Business & Management, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 333-356, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.abm.9200189
- R. J. Ely and D. A. Thomas, "Cultural diversity at work: The effects of diversity perspectives on work group processes and outcomes", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 46, pp. 229-273. https://doi.org/10.2307/2667087
- S. T. Bell, A. J. Villado, M. Lukasik, L. Belau, and A. Briggs "Getting specific: A meta-analysis of the team demographic diversity and performance relationships", Journal of Management, Vol. 37, pp. 709-743, 2011.
- L. F. Chou, A. C. Wang, T. Y. Wang, M. P. Huang and B. S. Cheng, "Shared work values and team member effectiveness: The mediation of trustfulness and trustworthiness", Human Relations, Vol. 61, No. 12, pp. 1713-1742, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726708098083
- L. H. Nishii, "The benefit of climate for inclusion for gender-diverse groups", Academy of Management Jounal, Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 1754-1774, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.0823
- D. Van Knippenberg, C. K. W. De Dreu and A. C. Homan, "Work group diversity and group performance: an integrative model and research agenda", Journal of applied psychology, Vol. 89, No. 6, pp. 1008-1022, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.6.1008
- F. A. Mael and B. E. Ashforth, "Loyal from day one: Biodata, organizational identification, and turnover among newcomers", Personnel Psychology, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 309-333, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1995.tb01759.x
- B. E. Ashforth and F. Mael, "Social identity theory and the organization", Academy of management review, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 20-39, 1989. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1989.4278999
- K. A. Jehn, "Enhancing effectiveness: An investigation of advantages and disadvantages of value-based intragroup conflict", International journal of conflict management, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 223-238, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb022744
- J. R. Hackman, Groups that work(and those that don't). Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 1990.
- E. T. G. Wang, W. Hsiao-Lan, J. J. James and K. Gary, "User diversity impact on project performance in an environment with organizational technology learning and management review processes", International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 405-411, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2006.01.004
- J. J. Dose and J. K. Richard, "The diversity of diversity: Work values effects on formative team processes", Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 9, No. 1 pp. 83-108, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(99)00012-1
- H. K. Kim and U. H. Lee, "Managing workplace diversity and employees' turnover intention: The mediating role of perceived organizational support", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp. 145-156.
- S. G. Barsade, A. J. Ward, J. D. Turner and J. A. Sonnenfeld, "To your heart's content: A model of affective diversity in top management teams", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 802-836, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2307/2667020
- L. H. Pelled, G. E. Ledford, and S. A. Mohrman. "Demographic dissimilarity and workplace inclusion." Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 36, No. 7, pp. 1013-1031, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6486.00168
- Deloitte, "Waiter, is that inclusion in my soup? A new recipe to improve business performance. Deloitte Research Report, Australia.
- N. K. Ensari and N. Miller, "The application of the personalization model in diversity management", Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 589-607, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/1368430206067679
- S. E. Jackson, J. Aparna and L. E. Niclas, "Recent research on team and organizational diversity: SWOT analysis and implications", Journal of management, Vol. 29, No. 6 pp. 801-830, 2003.
- K. A. Jehn, B. N. Gregory and A. N. Margaret, "Why differences make a difference: A field study of diversity, conflict and performance in workgroups", Administrative science quarterly, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 741-763, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/2667054
- R. Brown, S. Condor, A. Mathews, G. Wade and J. Williams, "Explaining intergroup differentiation in an industrial organization", Journal of Occupational psychology, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 273-286, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1986.tb00230.x
- K. A. Jehn, "A multimethod examination of the benefits and detriments of intragroup conflict." Administrative science quarterly, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 256-282, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393638
- G. J. Leonardelli and S. M. Toh, "Perceiving expatriate coworkers as foreigners encourages aid social categorization and procedural justice together improve intergroup cooperation and dual identity", Psychological science, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 110-117, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797610391913
- H. Y. Kim and M.-S. Yim, "A study on the effect of convergence career management systems on job engagement and career commitment", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 23-31, 2015.
- W.-J. Son, "The empirical study on interrelationship between strategy, MCS, corporate's performance and role of controller", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 303-314, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.303
- S. K. Lee, D. J. Lee, S. I. Lee, D. K. Choi and H. Y. Son, "A study on the in fluence of R&D organizational culture to technology innovation in Small and Medium Enterprises" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 41-52, 2011.