- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Consultant's Competency and Consultation Process on the Consulting Performance: The Mediating Role of Client's Involvement and Utilizing Willingness
컨설턴트역량과 수행과정이 컨설팅성과에 미치는 영향: 수진기업의 참여수준과 활용의지의 매개효과
- Lee, Cheol-Woo (Dept. of Advanced Industry Fusion, Graduate School, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Cheol-Gyu (Dept. of Advanced Industry Fusion, Graduate School, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Dong-Myung (Dept. of Advanced Industry Fusion, Graduate School, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.09.01
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
This paper aims to examine the mediating effects of client involvement and client utilizing willingness among consultant competency, consultation process and consulting performance. To accomplish the purpose, the analysis was conducted with 446 SMEs which had a consulting experience. The collected data were analyzed with SPSS and AMOS for Windows. This study used several statistical techniques such as descriptive analysis, confirmatory factor analysis, reliability analysis, feasibility analysis, Sobel test and the significance test of indirect effects. All studied factors presented meaningful results(+) except the path of consultant competency and client involvement. The client utilizing willingness presented the mediating role between consultation process and consulting performance. Consequently, it said that consultation process with client utilizing willingness was more important than consultant competency itself.
Management consulting;Consultant competency;Consultation process;Consulting performance;Client involvement;Client utilizing willingness
- Korea Technology and Information Promotion Agency for SMEs, "Analysis report of SMEs consulting support business, Small and Medium Business Administration", 2009, 2013.
- Allan P.O. Williams and S. Woodward, The competitive consultant: a client-oriented approach for achieving superior performance, The Macmillan Press LTD, 1994.
- H. S. Cheong and W. S. Yoo, "The Effect on Small Business Management Performance through Connection Support based on Corporate Analysis", Korea industrial and system engineering, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 17-24, 2011.
- D. S. Cho, Strategic Management for the 21 Century, Seoul Economy & Management, 2002.
- Y. S. Chang and J. H. Seo, "A Study on the Determining Priority of Consulting Areas for SMEs", Management consulting research, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 247-264., 2014.
- D. C. McClelland, R. Koestner, and Weinberger, "How do self-attributed and implicit motives differ?" Psychological review, 1989.
- L Spencer and S. Spencer, Competence at Work; Models for Superior Performance, New York, NY, 1993.
- Scott B. Parry, "The Quest for Competencies," Training, Vol 33, No. 7, pp. 48-56, 1996.
- Majo Rynning, "Successful Consulting with Small and Medium-Sized vs. Large Clients: Meeting the Needs of the Client?" International Business Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 47-60, 1992.
- G. G. Gim, M. S. Kim, C. U. Lee, and Y. H. Lee, Understanding and Application of the Business Consulting Services, CheongRam, 2008.
- D. Y. Kim, S. K. Lee, and E. G. Kang, "A Study on the Relationships between Emotional Intelligence of Consultant and Consulting Service Quality", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp. 41-50, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.41
- M. H. Cho and J. G. Seol, Consulting Process, New Proposal, 2009.
- G. S. Jung, T. S. Kim, and H. S. Lee, "A study on the Influence of Consultant Proactive Personality and Benevolence on Trust & Innovative Performance", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 83-92, 2012.
- S. W. Barcus III and J.W. Wilkinson, Handbook of Management Consulting Services, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1995.
- H. Y. Kim, C. G. Lee, C. S. Seo, and I. H. Oh, "An Empirical Study on the Effect of Management Consulting process for Organization Competence and Performance of SME and Venture Enterpr ise," Korea Management Engineers Society, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 63-81, 2013.
- R. Amy and Susan S. Kleine, "Customer Participation in Service Production and Delivery", Advances in Services Marketing and Management, 9, Teresa A. Swartz, David E. Bowen and Stephen W. Brown(Eds.), Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, pp. 111-125. 2000.
- J. H. Song and Carl R. Adams, "Differentiation Through Customer Involvement in Production or Delivery", Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol. 10, No. 2, 4-12, 1993.
- R. L. Oliver, T. T. Rust, and S. Varki, "Customer delight: Foundations, findings, and managerial insight", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 73, No 3, pp. 311-336, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(97)90021-X
- M. Beer, R. Eisenstat, and B. Spectpr, "Why Change Programs Don't Produce Change", Harvard Business Review, Vol.39, November-December 1991.
- K. Bantel and S. E. Jackson, "Top Management and Innovation in banking: Does the Composition of the Top Team Make a Difference?", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.10, 1989.
- I. S. Kim, "Research of consulting role and development strategy for enhancing SME competitiveness", Korea Small Business Institute, 2006.
- I. S. Lee and Y. Y. You, "An empirical Study of the Influencing Factors of Management Consulting Performance on Application Intend mediating the consulting deliverables and satisfaction", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 59-69, 2012.
- Y. S. Jang and H. G. Kwak, "A Study on Relationship between Consulting Performance and Consulting Management in Real Estate Consulting and Management Consulting", Journal of the Korean society of cadastre, Vol. 25, No 1, pp. 31-42, 2009.
- E. Shapiro, R. Eccles, and T. Soske, "Consulting: Has the Solution Become part of the Problem?", Sloan Management Review, 39, Summer, pp. 89-95, 1993.
- A. Simon and V. Kumar(2001), "Clients Views on Strategic Capabilities Which Lead to Management Consulting Success", Management Design, 41. pp. 362-372, 2001.
- Y. Jang, "A contingent analysis of the success factors in management consulting", Korea Advanced Institute of science and Technology, 1996.
- D. Halstead and T. J. Page Jr.(1992), "The Effect of Satisfaction and Complaining Behavior on Consumer Repurchase Intention", Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, 5, pp. 1-11, 1992.
- W. H. Yeo and W. K. Lim, "The competence of management consultants and consulting completeness influences to the management performance", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 93-107, 2016.
- C. H. Choi and Y. Y. You, "A study on the Effects of Ties and Trust Relationship between the Clients and Consultants on the Consulting Performance", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp. 87-96, 2014.
- H. C. Ben-Gal and S. S. Tzafrir, "Consultantclient relationship: one of the secrets to effective organizational change?" Journal of Organizational Change Management, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 662-679, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534811111158912
- S. W. Barcus III and J. W. Wilkinson(1995), Handbook of Management Consulting Services, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1995.
- C. Claycomb, C. A. Lengnick-Hall, and Inks, L. W.(2001), "The customer as a productive resource: a pilot study and strategic implications", Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 47-69, 2001.
- A. R. Hubbert, Consumer Co-creation of Service Outcomes: Effects of Locus of Causality attributions, Doctoral Dissertation, arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, 1995.
- Richard L. Oliver, "A Cognitive Model of the Antecedents and Consequences of Satisfaction Dicisions", Journak of Marketing Research, 17(Nonember), pp. 460-469, 1980. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150499
- D. G. Shin and Y. Y. You, "A Study on the Impact of Consultant's Competencies on Service Quality and Performance of Consulting", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 63-78, 2012.
- E. H. Schein, "A general philosophy of helping: process consultation", Sloan Management Review, Vol. 31 No. 3, pp. 57-64, 1990.
- T. S. Jeong, "A Study on the Relationship between Customer and Supplier Network and Innovation Performance: Focused on Mediating Effect of T-Shaped Skill", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 93-110, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.1.93
- H. Ko and H. S. Yang, "The Effects of Behavioral Intention on Education Service Quality of the Merchant College -The Mediating effect of student satisfaction-", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 79-91, 2014.
- Y. G. Jeon, "The Mediating Effect of Job Satisfaction between Organizational Members' Turnover Intention and the Leadership Type of Middle Managers in Agricultural Cooperatives, Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 85-93, 2015.
- Y. Jang and J. Lee, "Factors Influencing the Success of Management Consulting Projects", International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 67-72, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(97)00005-7
- Y. H. Youn, D. S. Na, and J. T. Jung, "An empirical study for the relations between consultant's expertise and consulting knowledge transfer: Focused on FTA consulting ", International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 119-132, 2015.
- Tae-Seog Jeong, "A Studies on the Effect of the Mediating Variable Affecting the Business Performance in the TPM Activity", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7 No. 1, pp. 197-203, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.197
- Young-Jun Kim, "Convergence of Business Information System Process using Knowledge-based Method", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 65-71, 2015.