- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on Trade Structure Analysis between Korea and GCC(Gulf Cooperation Council) Countries
한국과 걸프협력회의(GCC)국가 간의 교역구조분석에 관한 연구
- Chung, Tae-Won (Sungkyul University, Dept. of East Asian Studies & Logistics)
- 정태원 (성결대학교 동아시아 물류학부)
- Received : 2016.08.17
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
Although growth potential of trade between Korea and the GCC region has existed in various fields through economic and business cooperation, few data and practical study related with trade structure and cooperation between Korea and GCC region have been found and the potential for further economic expansion has not been extensively explored. In this sense, this study is to analyze trade flows between Korea and GCC region countries(Saudi Arabia, Unites Arab Emirates, Qatar) using trade intensity index, trade complementarity index and special country bias index, identify potential for further expansion of Korea's trade into the GCC region and further propose the implication of FTA between mutual countries. Our analysis of trade flows also demonstrates that there is a high level of trade complementarity between Korea and GCC region. It means that increase of trade complementarity and special country bias come from removing not only trade barrier and increasing but also capital movement. Especially, the study reveals that there is an untapped potential for Korea to increase its exports to Saudi, based on the highest complementarities. Export expansion between Korea and Saudi through FTA will create new opportunity in near future.
Trade Intensity;Trade Complementarity;Special Country Bias;Trade Structure;GCC
- KIEP, "Summit Meeting Performance and Future Task with 4 Countries of Middle East", Regional Study, Vol.10, No 10, pp.2-15, 2015.
- UN Comtrade Database, Statistics Database(Extract Data).
- OECD International Trade by Commodities, Vol. 5. Paris: OECD PR, various issues.
- Bandara B. & Smith M. "Australia-South Asia Trade: Intensities and Complementarities", Trade Policy Reforms, in South Asia, pp.1-5, 2002.
- S. J. Kim, "Trade Patterns Between Korea and Major EU Countries :Their Changes and Korea's Response", Seoul International Trade and Business Institute PR. 1999.
- S. J. Kim, "Enhancing Economic Cooperation Between Korea and Malaysia. Seoul", International Trade and Business Institute PR. 1999.
- S. J. Kim, "Trade Patterns Between Korea and Australia: Enhancing Economic Cooperation Between Two Countries Through Trade," Seoul International Trade and Business Institute PR. 1999.
- S. J. Kim, "Changes in Trade Intensity Between Korea and Russia in the Manufacturing Sector", Journal of Slavic Studies, Vol. 25, No 2, pp.1-32, 2009.
- S. J. Kim, "Changes in Trade Intensity between Korea and East Europe Countries", East Europe Balkans Study, Vol.27, pp.187-218, 2011.
- H. K. Bea, "Analysis on international trade flow of medical devices in Korea, China, and Japan", International Commerce and Information Review, Vol 14, No 4, pp. 131-152, 2012.
- International Monetary Fund, WEO(World Economy Outlook) Data Base, Data Mapper, 2014
- Korea International Trade Association, Trade Statistic(K-Stat). 2014.
- Yamazawa, I., "Intensity Analysis of World Trade Flow", Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Vol.10, No 2, pp.61-90, 1970.
- J. H. Jeong, "An Analysis on the Trade Effect of FTA using Intensity of Trade", International Commerce and Information Review, Volume 14, Number 1, March, pp. 141-170. 2012.
- S. H. Lee, "A Study on Determining Factors for Manufacturers to Distributors Warehouse in Supply Chain", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 15-20, 2013.
- M. L. Chon, "Investment and Debt ratio of ICT firms", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 103-108, 2015.
- T. W. Chung, "The Logistics Business Analysis and implications of UAE- With Porter's Diamond Model", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp. 133-138, 2016.
- S. O. Han, "A Study on Way of Activating Plan of the Third Party Logistics in Domestic Area", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 131-140, 2016.