- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Convergence Factors Influencing the Quality of Life in the Elderly People Living Alone
독거노인의 삶의 질에 영향을 미치는 융복합적 요인
- Received : 2016.09.28
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
In this study, the correlation between convergence factors including social, environmental, psychological and physical factors and the health-related quality of life was examined using a structural equation model to find a practical alternative for improving the quality of life in the elderly people living alone. This study targeted 13,771 seniors from single households aged 65 and over, who were subject to the community health survey in 2014. Social capitals, stress, subjective health conditions and EQ-5D of the subjects were analyzed using SPSS 23.0 and AMOS 23.0. The analysis findings are as follows. The results of the model fit was good value with CFI=.906, GFI=.955, RMSEA=.074. In conclusion, these results demonstrate that for maintaining health and improving the quality of life in the elderly people living alone, families and local communities need to increase social capitals by providing care service for the elderly people living alone and grounds that they can participate in.
The elderly living alone;Social capital;Stress;Subjective health conditions;Quality of life
- Statistics Korea, http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_ki/3/2/6/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq =161820
- Kim, G. R., "Home care nursing needs of welfare solitude elderly person in Pusan city", Unpublished master's thesis, Pusan Natinal University, Busan. 2000.
- Ko, Y. M., "Factors affecting the health status of elderly living alone in community", Phd. dissertation, p. 2, Seoul National University. 2013.
- Cho, S. H., "Factors affecting the Health Promotion Behaviors of the Low-Income Elderly Living Alone", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 423-431, 2015.
- Kim, J. H. & Kang, W. M. & Yeum, D. M., "An study on Anti-Poverty & Income Inequality Effectiveness of Income Transfer: Focusing on the Single & Spousal Elderly Households", Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 135-159, 2015.
- Kim, H. R., "Comparison of Prevalence of Depression and Its Risk Factors among the Elderly Female and Male Living Alone in Korea", Korea Public Health Research, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 13-27, 2014.
- Kwon, M. J., "Convergence Study on the Relation between Cognition, Depression and Aggression in the Elderly", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 171-176, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.171
- Choi, H. J. & Back, S. G., "A Study on Depressive disposition by Convergence approach of Leisure History and Family situation in Elderly Women", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 295-302, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.295
- Park, J. S. & Lee, H. R., "A Comparative on a Study a Health Promoting Lifestyle and Perceived Health Status between High and Low Income Elderly", The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 157-166, 2003.
- Yoon, J. Y., "A study on the propose about a sporting equipment to improve muscle tone for the old.-focusing on the muscle used for everyday living", Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 318-426, 2011.
- Jo, M. W., & Lee, S. I., "General population time trade-off values for 42 EQ-5D health states in South Korea", Journal of Prevention Medial Public Health, Vol. 40, No. 2, 169-176, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2007.40.2.169
- Kim, J. I., "Levels of Health-related Quality of Life (EQ-5D) and Its Related Factors among Vulnerable Elders Receiving Home Visiting Health Care Services in Some Rural Areas", Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 99-109, 2003.
- Kim, K. B. & Lee, Y. J. & Sok, S. H., "A Comparative Study on Health Status, Depression, and Quality of Life between the Elderly Living with Family and the Elderly Living Alone", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 765-777, 2008.
- Kim, J. H., & Jeong, Y. M., "A study on health status and quality of life in living alone elderly", J Korean Gerontol Nurs, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 16-26, 2002.
- Ko, J. U., "A Study of the elderly sport policy and the Law Reformation. Based on Leisure welfare for the Elderly" The Korean Association of Sports Law, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 67-93, 2011.
- Kwon, W. D., "A Life of the Elderly and The Culture of Sport Leisure", Philosophy of Movement, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 41-61, 2005.
- Leitner, M. J. & Leitner, S. F., "Leisure in Later Life", New York : The Haworth Press, 1985.
- Seo, E. J. & Cha, N. H., "The Relationships between Stress and ADL in Elderly Living Alone", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 251-258, 2016.
- Choi, M. Y. & Kwak, H. K. & Park, H. S., "The Effect of Community Social Capital on the Elderly's Subjective Quality of Life: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of the Elderly Depression", International Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 66, pp. 307-328, 2014.
- Choi, M. Y., "An empirical study of the effects of neighborhoods and social capital on elderly people depression", Center For Social Welfare Research Yonsei University, Vol. 18, pp.25-46, 2008.
- Jeong, W. C. & Park, S. H., "Influences of Social Capitals Affecting Self-esteem and Psychological Wellbeing of the elderly", The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 235-245, 2013.
- Jang, Y. E. & Kim, S. Y., "Influence of Social Capital of Elderly Living Alone on Stress", The Journal of Humanities and Social science, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 441-464, 2015.
- Choi, Y. H., "A study on depression, sleep and fatigue in younger and older elders", Journal of the Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 18, pp. 223-231, 2007.
- Lee, B. Y., Jo, H. S., Lee, H. J., & Yoo, S. H., "Health pro-motion priorities of older adults in a rural community", The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 19, pp. 57-65, 2008.
- Lee, Y. J., & Kim, T. H., "A Study on the buffering effect of social support on the stress of the aged who lives alone", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 19, pp. 79-93, 1999.
- Kim, S. Y., Choi, K. W., & Oh, H. Y., "Relationships of social networks to health status among the urban low-income elderly", Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 53-61, 2010.
- Brooks, R., Rabin, R. M., & Charro, F., "The Measurement and valuation of health status using EQ-5D: A european per-spective", Evidence from the EuroQol BIOMED Research Program, The Netherland: Kluwer Academic Publisher, 2005.
- Bae, N. R. & Park, C. S., "A Study on the Ecological Factors Affecting the Quality of Life among the Elderly People", Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 761-779, 2009.
- Kim, K. H. & Lee, S. K. & Yoon, H. J. & Kwon, G. H., "The effects of social capital of old-old elderly of more than 70- year-old on their health-related quality of life", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 3889-3901, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3889
- Berg, A. I. & Hassing, L. B. & Mcclearn, G. E. & Johansson, B., "What matters for life satisfaction in the oldest-old?", Aging & Mental Health, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 257-264, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860500409435
- Kim, M. R., "The Study of Comparing the Factors of Affecting on the Quality of Life for Young-Old Women and Old-Old Women", Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 197-222, 2006.
- Woo, K. S. & Seo, J. H. & Kim, G. S. & Shin, Y. J., "The effect of social capital, health risk behavior and health status on medical care utilization by the elderly" Korean Journal of Health Policy & Administration, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 497-521, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2012.22.4.497
- Snelgrove, J. W. & Pikhart, H. & Stafford, M., "A multilevel analysis of social capital and self-rated health: Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey" Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 68. pp. 1993-2001, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.03.011
- Kim, K. H. & Lee, S. K. & Yoon, H. J. & Kwon, G. H., "The effects of Social Capital of old-old elderly of more than 70-year-old on their health-related quality of life" Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 6. pp. 3889-3901, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3889
- Nam, S. I. & Yi, H. J. & Kim, S. J. & Kim, B. K., "The effect of subjective socioeconomic status on suicidal ideation in older Koreans" Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 36, No. 2. pp. 121-150, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2016.36.2.121
- EuroQol Group, "EuroQol: a new facility for measurement of health-related quality of life", Health policy, Vol. 16, pp. 199-208, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8510(90)90421-9
- Yamamoto K. & Onodera T., "Covariance structure analysis and analysis case by Amos", Kyoto: Nakanishiya Publication, 2002.
- Peek M. K., "Structural Equation Modeling and Rehabilitation Research", American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 301-309, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-200005000-00014
- Lee, H. J., "A Study on the Factors Affecting the Mental Health of the Elderly : Focusing on the Social Capital Traits", Social Science Research Review, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 25-42, 2009.
- Woo, K. S. & Seo, J. H. & Kim, G. S. & Shin, Y. J., "The effect of social capital, health risk behavior and health status on medical care utilization by the elderly", Korean Journal of Health Policy & Administration, Vol, 22, No. 4, pp. 497-521, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2012.22.4.497
- Jang, Y. E. & Kim, S. Y., "Influence of social capital of elderly living alone on stress", The Journal of Humanities and Social science, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 441-464, 2015.
- Hong, S. H. "The Effect of social support on Elderly Women's Quality of Life", Korean Family Resource Management Association, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 1-26, 2015.
- Lazarus, R. S. & Folkman, S., "Stress, appraisal, and coping", New York: Springer Publishing Company, 1984.