- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Relationship between college students' English learning beliefs and their English achievement in e-learning
대학 이러닝 학습자의 영어학습믿음과 영어성취도 관계 분석
- Cho, Hyewon (Dept. of Liberal Arts, Far East University)
- 조혜원 (극동대학교)
- Received : 2016.09.22
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
This study aims to examine English learning beliefs of Korean college students enrolled in e-learning courses and to investigate the relationship between their beliefs and L2 achievement. Horwitz's Beliefs about Language Learning Inventory was used to elicit students' beliefs about English learning and their grades in a final exam were employed for the English achievement measure. The data from one hundred sixteen respondents were analyzed through a factor analysis and the analysis revealed 5 factors: Motivation, learning strategies, English aptitude, foreign language aptitude, and communication strategies. The results showed that the most of the e-learning students had a high level of motivation and expectation in learning English but they believed that they had a low language aptitude. Statistically significant correlation was found between students' beliefs in motivation and their L2 attainment.
E-learning;English learning beliefs;Achievement;BALLI;Motivation
- S. Kwon, J. Lee, S. Han, & S. Bhang, "A Study on Utilization of e-learning in General Education at University Level : Focus on Contents Sharing among Universities", Korean Journal of General Education, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 9-32, 2012.
- I. Lee, "e-learning", Muneumsa, 2002.
- J. Lee, J. Kim, & S, Cho, "A study of interactive teaching-learning strategies of e-learning English conversation courses", Korean Journal of Applied Linguistics, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 51-83, 2010.
- J. Kim, "Design and Development of English e-Learning Content to Facilitate Interaction", Korea Journal of English Language and Linguistics, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 863-891, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15738/kjell.11.4.201112.863
- P. M. Wesely, "Learner Attitudes, Perceptions, and Beliefs in Language Learning", Foreign Language Annals, Vol. 45, pp. S98-S117, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.2012.01181.x
- E. K. Horwitz, "The beliefs about language learning of beginning university foreign language students", The Modern Language Journal, Vol. 72, No. 3, pp. 283-294, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1988.tb04190.x
- R. L. Diab, "University students' beliefs about learning English and French in Lebanon", System, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 80-96, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2005.06.014
- E. K. Horwitz, "Using student beliefs about language learning and teaching in the foreign language methods course", Foreign Language Annals, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 333-340, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.1985.tb01811.x
- E. K. Horwitz, "Surveying student beliefs about language learning", In A, Wenden & J, Rubin Eds., Learner strategies in language learning pp. 119- 129, London: Prentice-Hall, 1987.
- E. K. Horwitz, "Cultural and situational influences on foreign language learners' beliefs about language learning: a review of BALLI studies", System, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 557-576, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0346-251X(99)00050-0
- K. Kim, "Language learning belief factors affecting English achievement", English Teaching, Vol. 67, No. 4, pp. 173-194. 2012. https://doi.org/10.15858/engtea.67.4.201212.173
- P. S. Kuntz, "Belief about language learning: The Horwitz model", ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 397 649, 1996.
- L. Nikitina, & F. Furuoka, "Re- examination of Horwitz's Beliefs About Language Learning Inventory BALLI in the Malaysian context", Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 209-219, 2006.
- K. Sakui, & S. J. Gaies, "Investigating Japanese learners' beliefs about language learning", System, Vol. 27, pp. 473-492, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0346-251X(99)00046-9
- X. Zhang, & G. Cui, "Learning beliefs of distance foreign language learners in China: A survey study", System, Vol. 38, pp. 30-40, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2009.12.003
- T. Fujiwara, "Language learning beliefs of Thai EFL university students: Dimensional structure and cultural variation", Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 87-107, 2011.
- S. Ariogul, D. Unal, & I. Onursal, "Foreign language learners' about language learning: a study on Turkish university students", Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 1, pp. 1500-1506, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2009.01.265
- H. Bagherzadeh, "Language learning beliefs of non-English majors: Examining the role of English language proficiency", Journal of Language Teaching and Research, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 784-792, 2012.
- C. Li, & Z. Ruan, "Changes in beliefs about language learning among Chinese EAP learners in an EMI context in Mainland China: A socio-cultural perspective", System. Vol. 55, pp. 43-52, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2015.08.010
- Yeob-Myeong Son, Byeong-Soo Jung, "Convergence Development of Video and E-learning System for Education Disabled Students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 113-119, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.113
- Jungtae Kim, "The Development and Validation of a Mobile-based English Speaking Test Convergence Model", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7 No. 2, pp. 25-31, 2016.
- A Study on the Influence of Non-intelligence Factors on College Students’ English Learning Achievement Based on C4.5 Algorithm of Decision Tree vol.102, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-017-5177-0