- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of Perception of Human Rights Victimization between School Violence Victimization and Self-esteem of Adolescents
청소년의 학교폭력 피해경험이 자아존중감에 미치는 영향: 인권피해 인식의 매개효과
- Lee, Chang-Seek (Dept. of Child and Adolescent Welfare) ;
- Park, Ji-Young (Dept. of Child and Elderly Welfare) ;
- Jang, Ha-Young (Dept. of Lifelong Education)
- Received : 2016.08.25
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
This study aimed to investigate the mediating effect of perception of human rights victimization between school violence victimization and self-esteem of adolescents. For this study, 554 adolescents were surveyed at B county of Korea from September to November in 2015. Main results of this study were as follows. First, it was found out that school violence victimization was significantly different depending on school level. And perception of human rights victimization was significantly different depending on regions. But self-esteem was not. Second, school violence victimization and human rights victimization were positively correlated. And school violence victimization and self-esteem were negatively correlated. Third, perception of human rights victimization was perfectly mediated between school violence victimization and self-esteem of adolescents. Lastly, policy implications for the students with lower self-esteem due to school violence victimization were suggested.
School violence victimization;Perception of human rights violation;Self-esteem;Adolescents;Mediating effect
- S. H. Lee, "Research for developing a Christian (Pastoral) counseling program model to prevent adolescent school violence", Yonsei Journal of Counseling and Coaching, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp.201-220, 2015.
- S. G. Lee, "Effects of eco-systemic factors on peer violence at middle schools", Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare, Vol. 19, No. 19, pp.141-170, 2005.
- H. J. Park, & H. H. Lee, "A Study on present situation of violence in school and improvement program", Korea Educational Development Institute, 2013.
- J. H. Park, "Prevalence and survey issues of school violence in Korea and foreign countries", Teachers and Education, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp.17-38, 2012.
- M. Akiba, & G. K. LeTendre, & D. P. Baker, & G. Brian, "Student victimization: National and school system effects on school violence in 37 nations", American Educational Research Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp.829-854, 2002. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312039004829
- M. H. Lee, & J. Y. Lim, & S. D. Lee, & S. E. Oh, "Perception of teachers on school violence", Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.174-185, 2009.
- K. J. Lee, & Y. S. Kim, "Life satisfaction and Self-esteem: How are they related to the subtypes of school violence among adolescents?", Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp.57-77, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15854/jes.2015.06.46.2.57
- Y. M. Kim, "Victimization, psychological adaptation, and delinquency among adolescents" The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.470-481, 2016.
- J. H. Park, "The effect of degree of respect for the human right of teachers and self-esteem of students on attitude toward bullying of elementary school students", Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.169-194, 2014.
- D. H. Kim, "A Sudy of high school student's human rights consciousness: With focus on high school students in Kyonggi Province", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Kangwon University, 2008.
- C. S. Lee, & H. R. Son, & H. Y. Jang, "Effects of Self-esteem, Aggression and Violence Recognition on the Academic Achievement of Adolescents", The Society of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp.29-36, 2016.
- E. H. Lee, "School factors and victimization as predictors of junior high school student's fear of school attendance and judgments of school violence as a problem", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.281-304, 2009.
- J. Y. Moon, "A Single case study on effects of happiness enhancement program on an abused child's depression and Self-esteem", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Gongju National University of Education, 2015.
- D. M. Yeum, & C. Y. Lim, & H. T. Jung, "Effects of adolescents' school violence victimization on self-esteem: verification on mediated moderating effects of stress and human rights consciousness", Social Science Research Review, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp.401-423, 2015. https://doi.org/10.18859/ssrr.2015.11.31.4.401
- J. S. Park, "The relationship among school adolescents' rights guarantee, Selft-esteem and subjective happiness", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.35-59, 2010.
- M, Rosenberg, Society and Adolescent Self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- D. Olweus, "The revised Olweus Bully/Victim Questionnaire. Mimeo", Research Center for Health Promotion(HEMIL), 1996.
- R. M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, "The moderatormediator variable distinction in social psychological research", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp.1173-1183, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- M. E. Sobel, "Asymptotic intervals for indirect effects in structural equations models", In S. Leinhart(ed), Sociological Methodology, pp.290-312, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1982.
- J. C. Kim, & G. J. Seong, & H. K. Cho, "Structural relationship among experience of parental violence, school violence, internet addiction, and aggression during adolescence", Journal of Education & Culture, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.69-97, 2014. https://doi.org/10.24159/joec.2014.20.3.69
- Y. S. Park, & Y. K. Park, & U. C. Kim, & K. H. Han, "Academic achievement and quality of life among urban and rural students: A comparative analysis of the influence of residence, parental expectations of academic achievement, parent-child conflict and self-efficacy", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp.5-41, 2011.
- S. B. Oh, "The factor analysis of the different degrees of schooling achievement in inter-areas of middle and high schools: Based on the effectiveness of schools and middle & high school students' migration", The Journal of Korean Education, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp.169-192, 2004.
- L. Zhang, & W. D. Johnson, "Violence-related behaviors on school property among mississippi public high school students, 1993-2003", The Journal of School Health, Vol. 75, No. 2, pp.67-71, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2005.tb00013.x
- S. O. Shin & J. Park, "Converged association between suicidal ideation and neighborhood environment among some adolescents", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp.271-277, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.271
- M. K. Jung, "A study on the analysis of curriculum and textbook of moral education for preventive education of school bullying & violence in the elementary school", Journal of Science Education, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp.143-164, 2007.
- I. H. Jung & B. C. Lim, "Students of actors affecting career decision level and career preparation behavior-Centering on students studying Dental Technology Daegu･Gyeongbuk area-", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp.13-19, 2012.
- I. R. Getz, "Moral reasoning, religion, and attitude toward human rights", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Minnesota, 1985.
- D. Wang, "Factors affecting college students' understanding of children's rights", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Daejeon University, 2015.