- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Factors Related to Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge(TPACK) of College Instructors: Focusing on the Epistemological Beliefs and the Social Support
대학 교수자의 테크놀로지 내용교수지식(TPACK) 관련 요인: 인식론적 신념과 사회적 지지를 중심으로
- Yang, Mi-Seok (Chungnam National University) ;
- Cho, Young-Sun (Mokwon University) ;
- Kim, Ji-Suk (Baekseok University)
- Received : 2016.08.25
- Accepted : 2016.11.20
- Published : 2016.11.28
Rapid growth of information and communication technology and changes in college student characteristics require for university instructors to diversify instructional improvement efforts. Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) is a capacity that instructors need to build for making instructional design based on consolidated technology. Accordingly this study explores instructors' awareness of the importance and performance of TPACK and to inquire into their relationships with epistemological beliefs and social support as relevant factors through a survey carried out with 264 instructors. The study has shown that there is a significant difference between college instructors' awareness of the importance of TPACK and their awareness of its performance. Furthermore, it has shown that the awareness of importance and performance of TPACK is significantly related to the social support, and that among the sub-factors of the social support, significant influences are observed from the emotional support on their awareness of the importance of TPACK and from the informational support on their awareness of the performance of TPACK. These results provide fundamental data for measures to develop and support TPACK capacity of college instructors, suggesting that it requires a teaching support strategy to enhance social support for instructors above all things.
College education;Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge;TPACK;Epistemological beliefs;Social support
- Y. H. So, "Development and Validation of Technology, Pedagogy, and Content Knowledge(TPACK)' Scale for elementary school teachers", Applied The Education Research Institute, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.157-175, 2013.
- P. Mishra & M. J. Koehler, "Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A new framework for teacher knowledge", Applied Teachers College Record, Vol. 108, No. 6, pp.1017-1054, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9620.2006.00684.x
- H. M. Lim, & I. S. Choi, "A Case study on the effect of designing instruction according to the ASSURE model to mathematics teacher's TPACK and teaching efficacy", Applied The Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp.179-202, 2012.
- M. R. Eom, "A Suggestion on Teaching Support Program through the Competencies analysis of University Faculties' Technology, Pedagogy, and Content Knowledge(TPACK)", Applied Theory and Practice of Education, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp.21-45, 2012.
- H. M. Lim, "Study on the Effectiveness of Team Project to Improve TPACK of Preservice Mathematics Teachers", Applied The Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp.545-564, 2009.
- L. S. Shulman, "Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching", Applied Educational Researcher, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.4-14., 1986.
- J. H. Lim, & D. Y. Lee, "A study on the association between job satisfaction and social support among school teachers: Focusing on the structural equation models", Applied Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.277-297, 2010.
- O. G. Sin, "Relationship between job stress and social support of elementary school teachers", Hongik Press, 2000.
- W. C. Lee, "Relationships and values and job satisfaction of teachers", SoGang University Press, 1994.
- M. R. Eom, W. S. Shin, & I. S. Han, "A Survey on the Differences of Pre-service Teachers' Perception of the Technology, Pedagogy, and Content Knowledge (TPACK)", Applied The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp.141-165, 2011.
- T. S. Shin, "A Relation between Pre-Service Teachers' Fixed Mindsets Regarding their Abilities to Teach with Technology and their Perceived TPACK", Applied Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp.21-45, 2013.
- B. K. Hofer, "Epistemological understanding as a metacognitive process: Thinking aloud during onling searching", Applied Educational Psychologist, Vol. 39, pp.43-55, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep3901_5
- K. Sormunen, "Form epistemological constraints towards epstemological in the science classroom", Applied Merrill-palmer Quarterly, Vol. 35, pp.115-130, 2008.
- C. H. Yoon, "Students' Epistemological Beliefs: Theoretical Issues and Pedagogical Implications", Applied The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.327-351, 2012.
- S. A. Oh, & S. D. Lee, "The Effects of Pre-service Teachers' Epistemological Beliefs and Self Regulated Learning on well-structured and ill-structured Problem Solving", Applied The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp.75-99, 2013. https://doi.org/10.24211/tjkte.2013.30.3.75
- Cheng, Chan, Tang & Cheng, "Pre-service teacher education students' epistemological beliefs and their conceptions of teaching", Applied Teaching and Teacher education, Vol. 25, pp.319-327, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2008.09.018
- Y. J. Cho & M. H. Yang, "Secondary School Teachers' Epistemological Beliefs and Their Relationship with Teacher Efficacy and Instructional Strategies", The Korean Society for The Study of Teacher Education, Vol. 10, pp.1-12, 2007.
- Gill, Ashton, & Algina, "Changing preservice teachers epistemological beliefs about teaching and learning in mathematics: An intervention study", Applied Contemporary Educational Psychology, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp.95-102, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2004.01.005
- H. K. Lee, "A Study on the Relationship among Social support, Empowerment, and Psychosocial adjustment of children in Community Child Center", Sookmyung Women's University Press, 2007.
- M. Barrera, "Social Support in the Adjustment of Preadolescent: Assesment Issues. In B. H. Gottlieb(Ed.). Social Networks and Social Support", Beverly Hills, C.A.; Sage, 1981.
- J. H. Lim, "The Relations Among Kindergarten Beginning Teacher's Self-Efficacy, Social Support and Occupational Stress", Ewha Womans University Press, 2000.
- S. Cohen, & H. Hoberman, "Positive events and social support as buffers of life change stress", Applied Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 13, pp.19-125, 1983.
- S. Cohen, & T. A. Wills, "Stress, social support, and the buffering hypothesis", Applied Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 98, pp.310-357, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.98.2.310
- D. H. Ahn, & J. A. Kim, "Resilience of University Students: Coping Strategies, Social Support, Competence, and Academic Performance", Applied Korean Educational Psychology Association, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.47-67. 2007.
- H. J. Lee, "The Assessment of Prediction Capacity of Epistemic Beliefs, Self-Control Study Capacities, and the Sense of Social Presence over Training Achievements Perceived at Online Professional Learning Communities", Ewha Woman's University, 2013.
- K. J. Hwang, "The development of the training program for social support skills of middle and high school teachers", Korea National University of Education, 2009.
- G. D. Borich, "A needs assessment for conducting follow-up studies", Applied The Journal of Teacher Education, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp.39-42, 1980.
- J. S. Kim, "The ego resilience, social support, awareness of the instructional outcome of pre-service teacher in university classes using SNS(Social Network Service)", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.31-39, 2016.
- Y. J. Lee, & H. J. Gil, "Perception and Attitude of Pre-Service Early Childhood Education Teacher about The Introduction and Utilization of Smart Education", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.13-23, 2016.
- S. N. Lee, "A Study on Theory of Planned Behavior of Accounting Information Classes in the Digital Convergence Era", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp.169-175, 2015.
- N. S. Seo, S. J. Woo, & Y. J. Ha, "The Effects of Self-directed Learning Ability and Motivation on Learning Satisfaction of Nursing Students in Convergence Blended Learning Environment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp.11-19, 2015.
- S. W. Lee, "A Study to Improve Full-Cyber Lectures: with Focus on Instructors' Proposal", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.409-414, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.409
- S. Y. Park, & K. Lim, "Suggestions for Building 'Smart Campus' Based on Case Studies on the Effectiveness of Instructions with Smart-Pads", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp.1-12, 2012.
- J. Y. Chang, "Convergence of Education and Information & Communication Technology : A Study on the Communication Characteristics of SNS Affecting Relationship Development between Professor and Student", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 213-219, 2015.
- E. H. Park, Hye-Suk Kim, Ja-Ok Kim, "The Effect of Convergence Action Learning techniques in Simulation Class", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 241-248, 2015.
- H. J. Keum, "The basic theoretical research for a practice of university faculty member's teaching reflection", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.57-63, 2016.