- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Cultural Competency by Multicultural Experience of College Students
대학생의 다문화 경험에 따른 문화적 역량
- Lee, Myung-Sook (Department of Nursing, Ansan University) ;
- Park, Young-Mi (Department of Nursing, Ansan University)
- Received : 2016.11.02
- Accepted : 2016.12.09
- Published : 2016.12.28
In this study, we identified the components of cultural competency in college students according to their multicultural experiences. We collected the data from 663 college students located in Gyeonggi-do in September, 2016. Using the SPSS/WIN 21.0 version, we analyzed the data with descriptive statistics, t-test, and ANOVA. Our results are as follows. The average of cultural competency is 3.48 points, In the components of cultural competency, cultural awareness is highest at an average of 3.78 points, followed by cultural attitude which has an mean value of 3.73 points. Also, the cultural competency based on the multicultural experience, it is significantly higher when the subjects contact with multicultural people and take a class related to multiculture than the subjects who don't have those kind of experiences. This results indicate that it is necessary to develop various programs for college students' multicultural experiences, because those multicultural experiences improve students' cultural competency.
- J. Y. Jang, "Analysis on current status and ways of improvement of welfare policy for multi-cultural families", Unpublished master's thesis, Joongbu University, 2010.
- Ministry of the Interior, 2014_ The current status of foreign residents. http://www.moi.go.kr/frt/bbs/type001/commonSelectBoardArticle.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000014&nttId=46327.
- W. O. Oh, "Factors Influencing Cultural Sensitivity among Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy Child Health Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 222-229, 2010.
- S. M. Park, "The Implication Critical Perspective of Multicultural Education on Geography Education", Journal of Geographic and Environmental Education, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 91-106, 2011.
- M. S. Jung, "Current status and problems of healthcare-related multi-cultural policy in Korea from nursing's point of view, Perspectives in Nursing Science", Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 1-20, 2009.
- M. K. Kim, "Relationship of Multicultural Adolescents' Stress, Depression, Family Resilience and Internet Game Addiction", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 205-210, 2016.
- H. S. Lee, S. H. Lee, & J. A. Choi, "A Study for Multicultural Families as Digital Poverty: Focusing on Target Changes of the Digital Divide Survey for Multicultural Families, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 205-210, 2016.
- E. J. Goh, "Relevance of stress for cultural adaptation, domestic violence, social support, self-esteem and post-traumatic stress to psychological health of female migrants throught international marriage", Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University. 2009.
- J. D. Hovey, & C. C. Magana, "Psychosocial predictors of anxiety among immigrant Mexican migrant farmworkers: Implications for prevention and treatment", Cultural Dversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 274-289, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1099-9809.8.3.274
- O. H. Ahn, S. S. Baek, & J. S. Kim, "Cultural competency by multicultural experiences of nursing college students", Journal of the Korean Society for Multicultural Health, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 19-26, 2012.
- A. E. Fantini, "Exploring intercultural competence", Research report, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2007. Center for social development (CSD): Global service institute", Washington University in St. Louis.
- H. N. Weaver, "Explorations in Cultural Competence", Belmont, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole, 2005.
- S. J. Park, A Atudy on Multicultural Education and Competence of University Students in the Fields of Human Services: Focused on Gwangju-Jeonnam Area, Unpublished doctor's dissertation, Mokpo National University, 2013.
- M. K. Kim, "A Qualitative Study on University Students' Multicultural Competence -Focusing on the Cultural Cognition, Cultural Knowledge and Cultural Skill", Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 945-965, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2010.19.6.945
- S. H. Min, & M. Y. Lee, "A Exploratory Study about the Cultural Competence of University Students - focused on the Cultural Awareness", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 183-206, 2009.
- S. S. Park, Y. J. Bae, S. H. Park, & S. A. Kim, "A Study on Multicultural Competence of University Students in the Fields of Human Services for the Era of Fusion and Convergence", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 493-507, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.493
- M. J. Chae, J. Kim, J. H. Lee, "Effects of a Multicultural Course on the Multicultural Acceptability and Competency of Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 373-381, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.373
- E. H. Peek, & C. S. Park, "Effects of a multicultural education program on the cultural competence, empathy and seff-efficacy of nursing students" Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 690-696, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690
- F. Faul,, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, & A. .Buchner, "G*Power3:A flexible statistical power analysis program forth e. social, behavioral, and biomedical science", Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 39, pp. 175-191, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- A. St. Clair, & L. McKenry, "Preparing culturally competent practitioners", Journal of Nursing Education, 1999). Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 228-234, 1999.
- S. Y. Choi, "A Study on the Development of Cultural Competence Measure for Helping Professions", Journal of community welfare, Vol. 35, pp. 23-53, 2010.
- J. W. Han,. "(A The) Regionalization process of the immigrants in Wongok-dong, Ansan-sity". Unpublished master's thesis, Korea National University of Education, 2008.
- I. S. Lee, & J. Y. Cho,, "A study on the Cultural Competency and Demend for a Multicultural Education Program among Nursing College Students", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 283-290, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.283
- H. A. Seo, H. Y. Chun, & S. J. Wee, "The Research on Multicultural Experiences Influence the Multicultural Understanding and Characteristics toward Multicultural Education of Early Childhood Preservice Teachers in Korea and the United States, Journal of Korean Child Care and Education, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 69-94, 2011.
- Y. J. Kim, J. Y. Lee, & S. H. Cho, "An Explorative Study of Perceived Cultural Competency of Medical Social Workers in Korea, Health and Social Welfare Review", Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 251-283, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.3.251
- D. H. Chae, Y. H. Park, K. H. Kang, & T. H. Lee, "A Study on Factors Affecting Cultural Competency of General Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 76-86, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.76
- H. K Jun, Study on Relationship between Transcultural Self-efficacy and Cultural Competency of Nursing Students for Subjects with various cultural background, Unpublished master's thesis", Gachon University, 2015.
- A. Cooper-Brathwaite, "Evaluation of a cultural competence course", Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 361-369, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659605278941
- Cultural Competence and Influencing Factors of Dental Hygiene Students vol.17, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.3.242