- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Relationship Between Self-Reflection, Critical Thinking Disposition, Muti Cultural Experience and Cultural Competence in nursing students
간호대학생의 자아성찰, 비판적 사고성향 및 다문화 경험과 문화적 역량과의 관계
- Pak, So-Young (College of Nursing, Shinhan University)
- 박소영 (신한대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2016.10.11
- Accepted : 2016.12.20
- Published : 2016.12.28
As Korea has been rapidly transformed to be a multi cultural society, it becomes essential for nursing provider to develop cultural competency. The purpose of this study was to identify impact of self-reflection, critical thinking disposition and multi cultural experience on nursing student's cultural competence. A convenience sample of 148 nursing students was obtained from a university in Gyeonggi Province. Data was analyzed using Pearson correlation and multiple regression. Significant relationships were found between self-reflection, critical thinking disposition, multi cultural experience and cultural competence in nursing student. The result of multiple regression indicates that critical thinking disposition (
Supported by : 신한대학교
- Social Immigrant Service Statistics monthly Report. 2016, March.
- Campinha-Bacote J, "The process of cultural competence in the delivery of healthcare services: A model of care", Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp.181-184, 2002.
- M. Ardelt, "Wisdom and life satisfaction in old age", Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp.15-27, 1997.
- H. Choi, "Critical thinking, Multiculturalism, and the education of humanities", The Journal of Humanities, Vol. 32, pp.293-317, 2011.
- C. H. Jeong, "A study on meaning and important of critical thinking education in the multicultural society", Theory and Practice of Education, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.132-158. 2015.
- R. H. Ennis, "A logical basis for measuring critical thinking skills". Educational Leadership, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp.44-48, 1985.
- J. Y. Lee, S. Y. Pak, "Relationship between the practice environment of nursing and critical thinking disposition of nurses in local general hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.145-153. 2014. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.145
- M. J. Kim, T. I. Kim, Y. J. Kwon, "A study about cultural sensitivity and stereotype about immigrant women among general hospital nurses in Chungcheong area", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.1334-1344, 2014.
- J. H. Kim, "A Study about Cultural Sensitivity and Stereotype about Immigrant Women among Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp.305-314, 2014.
- S. H. Kim, "Development of educational program for Cultural Competence in Nursing for nursing students and its effects", Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp.580-593. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.580
- U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/browse.aspx?lvl=2&lvlID=11, September 20, 2011.
- A. Clair, L. McKenry, L. Preparing, "Culturally competent practitioners", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp.228-234. 1999.
- Y. J. Kim, J. Y. Lee, S. H. Cho, "An explorative study of perceived cultural competence of medical social worker in Korea", Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp.251-283, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.3.251
- S. Y. Won, J. H. Moon, "The multidimensionality of multicultural competence and its antecedents" The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp.143-165, 2016.
- D. Y. Park, K. H. Jung, "The influence of self esteem, interpersonal relations and intercultural communicative competence on cultural competence of nursing students", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp.337-346, 2014.
- C. K. Lee, K. J. Lee, Y. S. Park, H. K. Lee, "The effect of a convergence multi-cultural nursing education program on cultural competence and empathy for nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 13, No. 12, pp.337-346, 2015
- Y. S. Suh, Y. C. Kwon, "Factors influencing to the cultural competence in nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 12, No. 6, pp.415-423, 2014.
- J. Y. Hwang, "The Self-reflection scale development and a path model of self-reflection to well-being", Ph.D. dissertation, p.51, Catholic University, 2011.
- J. Yoon. Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition, Ph.D. dissertation, Catholic University, 2004.
- M. J. Ward, "The relationship of preservice teachers' cross-cultural experiences with their beliefs about teaching diverse students", Ph.D. dissertation, Kansas State University, 1996.
- H. R. Kum, "The influence of self-efficacy and multi-cultural experiences on multi-cultural acceptabilities", Master thesis, Korea University, 2013.
- S. Y. Han, H. I. Cho Chung, "Development of a cultural competence scale for nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 45, No. 5, pp.684-693. 2015. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.684
- S. J. Park, S. A, Kim, Y. J. Bae, S. H. Park, "A Study on multicultural competence of university students in the fields of human services for the era of fusion and convergence", Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 13, No. 11, pp.493-507, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.493
- D. Chae, Y. Park, K. Kang, T. Lee, "A study on factors affecting cultural competency of general hospital nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.76-86. 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.76
- I. S. Lee, J. Y. Cho, "A study on the cultural competency and demand for a multicultural education program among nursing college students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.283-290, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.283
- Y. H Sungok, S. D. Park, Y. S. Lee, "A research trends on multicultural awareness and attitudes university students in Korea", Multiculture ＆ Peace, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.173-203, 2013. https://doi.org/10.22446/mnpisk.2013.7.2.006
- M. J. Lee, "Development and effect on the cultural competence program for undergraduate nursing student", Ph.D. dissertation, pp. 1-47, Kangwon National University, 2016.
- M. K. Cho, "The relationships among happiness, happiness promotion activities and self-reflection in the convergence society", Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 13, No. 7, pp.305-313, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.305
- S. K. Chaung, "Critical thinking disposition, problem solving ability and clinical competence in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.71-78. 2011.
- H. Choi, D. Cho, "Influence of nurses performance with critical thinking and problem solving process", Journal of Korean Academy of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp.265-274, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.265
- E. J. Lee, Y. K. Kim, H. K. Lee , "A study on the cultural competence of community health practitioners", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.178-188, 2012.
- S. Y. Yang, "The study on relationship between characteristics of cultural exchanges, self-efficacy, and cultural competency of nursing students", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp.334-345, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.334
- K. J. Yoon, "The Effects of cultural empathy, critical thinking disposition and problem-Solving on the cultural competence of early childhood preservice teachers", Korean journal of culture and arts education studies, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp.105-129, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15815/kjcaes.2014.9.3.105
- M. J. Lim, "Transforming perspectives through critical reflection: preparing multicultural early childhood educators", Journal of Children's Literature and Education, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.273-296, 2014.
- Y. Jung, "The effect of a multi-cultural education program on elementary school children's perceptions of multiculture and critical thinking ability with korean language textbook", Master thesis, Gyeongin National University, 2015.
- DOI: http://hdl.handle.net/1920/3072
- N. S. Ha, S. Y. Pak, M. J. Lee, "A literature review (1996 - 2014) on critical thinking in korean nursing education for the era of convergence, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp.341-349, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.341
- S. H. Yu, J.H. Kang, "Correlation Between Critical Thinking Ability and Disposition of University Nursing Students for the Development of Convergence", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp.197-203, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.6.197
- S.Y. Lee, M. S. Youn, Y. E. Kim, "A Study on Counselor's Professional Development Experiences of Undergraduate Students Through Reflective Journal Writing", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 43-56, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.043
- K. J. Kim, J. Yoon, H. H. Kyoung, "Analysis of problem based learning based on the self-reflection journals and class evaluation of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 16, No 4, pp.438-448. 2009.