- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Study of Trend of Reporting on GMO as a Convergence Technology: Focused on analyzing Articles in Major Domestic Daily Newspapers from 1994 to 2015
융복합기술로서 GMO에 관한 보도경향연구: 1994~2015년까지 국내 주요일간지 기사분석을 중심으로
- Cho, Hang-Min (University College, Sung Kyun Kwan University)
- 조항민 (성균관대학교 학부대학)
- Received : 2016.09.13
- Accepted : 2016.12.20
- Published : 2016.12.28
This study analyzed the contents of articles on GMO in Chosun Ilbo and Hankyoreh from 1994 through 2015 to check the trend of reporting on GMO as a science and technology risk issue. As a result, 'risk' and 'anxiety/concern' were continuously treated as important subjects, and there was a lack of depth and journalist's professionalism in all three periods: 'Introduction of GMO technology (1994-2000)', 'Development of GMO technology (2001-2010)' and 'Social acceptance of GMO (2011-2015).' In a comparison between the media with different ideological goals, the Chosun Ilbo had a stronger new-technological inclination to GMO than the Hankyoreh in reporting topics and tones of arguments. As a result of checking the relation of the tones in reporting with the 'risk-benefit' of GMO, reports in negative tones underlined 'risk' while those in positive tones, 'benefit.' This study could suggest improvements of subject bias and unprofessionalism in the domestic science journalism, the barometer of public awareness of disputes over science and technology risk.
GMO;Cell fusion technique;Risk communication;Convergence perspective of reporting;Science journalism
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- DOI: http://www.foodsafetykorea.go.kr/portal/board/boardDetail.do?menu_no=511&bbs_no=bbs083&ntctxt_no=405&menu_grp=MENU_GRP02
- Hang-Min Cho, "A Study on Audience's Awareness about the Media Reports of Genetically Modified Organism(GMO): Based on news framing effects and applying amplification model of risk communication". Master's Thesis, Department of Communications, Sungkyunkwan University. 2004.
- Korea Consumer Agency, "A Study on Improvement Measures for GMO Labeling System". Safety Report, pp. 1-89, 2014.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, "Outcome Report of 2014 National Perception Survey on GM Produce". 2014.
- Breunig, C., "Seeds of Dispute: Divergent Acceptance and Regulation of Genetically Modified Food between the European Union and the United States", European Union studies Association Conference, Nashville, TN, March. pp. 27-29, 2003.
- Seong-gyeom Cho, "The Role of Media Coverage in Promoting Science: Focusing on the Issue of Embryo Cloning". Korean Society for Advertising Education Fall Symposium, pp. 269-287.
- Hae-ryong Song, Peters, H. P., "Risk reports and Mass communication. Seoul: Communication Books", 2005.
- Martineau, B.. "First Fruit: The Creation of the Flavr Savr TM Tomato and the Birth of Genetically Engineered Food. NY: McGraw-Hill", 2001.
- Hae-Gyung Geong, "Growth through Dispute, 1994-2000", Discourse 201, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 283-318, 2005.
- DOI: http://www.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/View/at_pg.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0001785636
- DOI: http://scienceon.hani.co.kr/?document_srl=35032
- Hang-Min Cho, "Science & Technology Encounter Media: A Guide to Traveling the World of Science Media. Gyeong Gi: Korea Studies Information", 2014.
- Jun-ung Lee, "The Effect of News. Seoul: Han Ul Academy", 2010.
- Hyeon Ban, "Revisiting Agenda-Setting Theory: A Five-Phases Evolution Model". Communication Theories, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 7-51, 2007.
- Dal-yong Jin, "Understanding of science journalism. Seoul: Han Ul Academy", 2015
- Hornig, P. S., "Science stories, risk, power and perceived emphasis". Journalism Quartely, Vol.67, No.4, pp. 767-776, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769909006700431
- DOI: http://www.upluslab.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=column&wr_id=46&sca=&sfl=&stx=&sst=wr_datetime&sod=desc&sop=and&page=14
- Nelkin, D., "Selling Science: How the press coversscience and technology. NY: W. H. Freeman and Company", 1999.
- Eun-jun Kim, "Media coverage analysis of GM food", Master's Thesis, Department of Communications, Chung nam National University, 2001.
- Du, L., Rachul, C., "Chinese newspaper coverage of genetically modified organisms", http://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-12-326 (November, 2011).
- Listerman, T., "Framing of science issues in opinion-leading news: International comparison of biotechnology issue coverage". Public Understanding of Science. Vol.19, No.1, pp. 5-15, 2010.
- Navarro MJ., Panopio JA.., Malayang DB., Amano N Jr., "Print media reportage of agricultural biotechnology in the Philippines: A decade's (2000-2009)", The Philippine agriculturist, Vol.87, No.4, pp. 439-451, 2011.
- Kerlinger, F. N., "Foundation of Behavioral Research. NY: Holt, Rinehart and Winston", 1986.
- Bae-geun Cha, "Social science research methods. Seoul: Seyeongsa", 1991.
- Shineha, R., Hibino, A., Kato, K., "Analysis of Japanese Newspaper Articles on Genetic Modification", Journal of Science Communication, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 1-9, 2009.
- Hang-Min Cho, "Study on the Characteristics of the Domestic Press' Disease-related Risk Reports: Focusing on the News Reports of Ebola Virus", Journal of safety and crisis management, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 45-68, 2015.
- Sang-hui Kwon, "Science News Frame: A Study of Longitudinal Framing Analysis for Biotechnology", Journal of Communication & Information, Vol.32. pp. 7-48, 2006.
- Hang-Min Cho, "Introduction of Trends in Reporting Science Technology Risk by Korean Media: Focusing on Analysis of Newspaper Coverage of Nanotechnology in Major Daily Newspapers", Journal of safety and crisis management, Vol.9, No.11, pp. 1-18, 2013.
- Kovacic, P., Erjavec, M, K., "News reporting about genetically modified organisms in the context of different journalistic ideologies", Medijska istraz, Vol.17, pp. 75-95, 2011.
- Weon Kim, Min-Ho Kim, Gyu-Beom Shim, Moon-Ju Shin, "A study on the satisfaction of Health Examination for National Health Insurance service-Target of medical examinee in Busan-", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 1-8, 2013.
- Ki-Sun Han, "Broadcasting Contents Management System in Restricted Area", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 9-13, 2013.