- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Perceptions of Medical Personnel toward Burnout using Q Methodology
의료인의 소진에 대한 지각: Q 방법론 적용
- Yeun, Eun Ja (Department of Nursing, Konkuk University) ;
- Kwon, Young Mi (Department of Nursing, Kyungin Women's University) ;
- Lee, Young Mi (College of Nursing, Catholic University of Pusan)
- Received : 2015.11.09
- Accepted : 2016.01.05
- Published : 2016.01.31
Purpose: This exploratory study was done to categorize medical personnel's perceptions of burnout and analyzed the characteristics. Methods: Q methodology was applied using a 45 Q-sample categorized on an 11-point scale which was completed by nurses and doctors working at a university hospital in Seoul, Korea. Collected data were analyzed using the PC-QUANL program. Results: Medical personnel's perceptions of burnout were categorized into three types; 33.83% of the total variance was explained. The first type was 'functionally deteriorating pressure' the second type was 'daily powerlessness' and the third was 'achievement-oriented re-energization'. Conclusion: There is a need to establish and apply intervention strategies for each type to alleviate medical personnel burnout and increase work efficiency to qualitatively improve medical services.
- Chou LP, Li CY, Hu SC. Job stress and burnout in hospital employees: comparisons of different medical professions in a regional hospital in Taiwan. BMJ Open, Forthcoming. 2014;4(2):e004185. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004185 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004185
- Moon SJ, Han SS. A predictive model on turnover intention of nurses in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2011;41(5):633-641. http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.633 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.633
- Maslach C, Schaufeli WB, Leiter MP. Job burnout. Annual Review, of Psychology. 2001;52:397-422. http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397
- Goh ER. Effect of burnout experience during internship on specialty preferences [master's thesis]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 2010.
- Kim HJ, Yom YH. Structural equation modeling on burnout in clinical nurses based on CS-CF model. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2014;44(3):259-269. http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.3.259 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.3.259
- Jung HY, Kim SO, Kim IS. Factors influencing burnout in emergency room nurses, Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2014;23(1):1-10. http://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.1.1 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.1.1
- Leiter MP, Frank E, Matheson TJ. Demands, values, and burnout: Relevance for physicians. Canadian Family Physician. 2009;55(12):1224-1225. e1-6.
- Choi YS, Choi YH. Factors influencing burnout of health care provider in emergency medical center- Focused on nurses. The Korean Journal of Emergency Medical Services. 2012;16(2):91-102. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2012.16.2.091
- Kim WO, Moon SJ, Han SS. Contingent nurses' burnout and influencing factors. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2010;40(6):882-891. http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.6.882 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.6.882
- Myhren H, Ekeberg O, Stokland O. Job satisfaction and burnout among intensive care unit nurses and physicians. Critical Care Research and Practice. 2013;786176. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/786176 https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/786176
- Kim MJ, Park YS, Kwon YH. The effects of clinical nurses' resilience and social problem-solving ability on burnout. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2015;16(2):1284-1291. http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1284 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1284
- Al-Dubai SA, Rampal KG. Prevalence and associated factors of burnout among doctors in Yemen. Journal of Occupational Health. 2010;52(1):58-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.1539/joh.O8030 https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.O8030
- Jalili M, Sadeghipour Roodsari G, Bassir Nia A. Burnout and associated factors among Iranian emergency medicine practitioners. Iranian Journal of Public Health. 2013;42(9):1034-1042.
- Poghosyan L, Clarke SP, Finlayson M, Aiken LH. Nurse burnout and quality of care: Cross-national investigation in six countries. Research in Nursing & Health. 2010;23(4):288-298. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.20383
- Siu C, Yuen SK, Cheung A. Burnout among public doctors in Hong Kong: Cross-sectional survey. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2012;18(3):186-192.
- Oh SR. An eco-spiritual program for preventing medical professional's burnout [master's thesis]. Seoul: The Catholic University of Korea; 2014.
- Yoon HS. Effects of the happy arts therapy program to psychological well-being and emotional exhaust in nurse practitioners. Official Journal of the Korean Society of Dance Science. 2013;29:53-74.
- Moyle W, Cooke M, O'Dwyer ST, Murfield J, Johnston A, Sung B. The effect of foot massage on long-term care staff working with older people with dementia: A pilot, parallel group, randomized controlled trial. BMC Nursing. Forthcoming 2013;12(5). http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6955-12-5 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6955-12-5
- Shin EJ. A study on the burnout of hospital nurses [master's thesis]. Gwangju: Chosun University; 2008.
- Han KS, Choi MY, Lee SJ. Experiences of job stress-coping in health care professionals. The Korean Journal of Stress Research. 2013;21(2):131-139.
- Kang SY. The process of overcoming the professional burnout of clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2013;19(3):427-436. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.427 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.427
- Kim SR, Kim HY, Kang JH. Effects of type D personality on compassion fatigue, burnout, compassion satisfaction, and job stress in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2014;20(3):272-280. http://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.272 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.272
- Kim SW, Kim KH, Jang YH. The relationship between core service quality, trust, value and satisfaction in medical service. Journal of Marketing Studies. 2009;17(1):115-140.