- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Structural equation modeling on nurses' emotional labor including antecedents and consequences
간호사 감정노동의 선행 및 결과 요인을 포함한 모형구축
- Kim, Miyeon (Department of Nursing, Konkuk University) ;
- Choi, Heejung (Department of Nursing, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2015.10.15
- Accepted : 2016.01.18
- Published : 2016.01.31
This study was designed to construct and test structural equation modeling on nurses' emotional labor including antecedents and consequences based on the model of Morris and Feldman (1997). A total of 247 nurses working at secondary and tertiary hospitals in three provinces responded the questionnaires. Emotional labor was measured by frequency of emotional labor, attentiveness of required display rules and emotional dissonance. Routineness of job, job autotomy and organizational support were measured as antecedents; and emotional exhaustion, job satisfaction and organizational commitment were included as the consequences of nurses' emotional labor. Data were analyzed by SPSS 21.0 and AMOS 21.0. The model fitness indices for the hypothetical model showed NFI=.94, CFI=.97, and RMSEA=.07. Job autonomy and perceived organizational support had significant effects on emotional labor. The emotional labor influenced positively emotional exhaustion and negatively job satisfaction and organizational commitment. Nurses' emotional labor mediates between job characteristics and nurses' psychologic results indicating more autonomy and support can reduce nurses' emotional labor and then increase their satisfaction and organizational commitment, and decrease emotional exhaustion.
- Bae, B. Y. (2000). Structural equation model, Daekyung, Daejeon.
- Bentler, P. M. and Bonett, D. G. (1980). Significance tests and goodness of fit in the analysis of covariance structures. Psychological Bulletin, 88, 588-606. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.88.3.588
- Browne, M. W. and Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit, Sage focus editions, California.
- Byun, D. S. and Yom, Y. H. (2009). Factors affecting the burnout of clinical nurses: Focused on emotional labor. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 15, 444-454.
- Cho, H. M. (2007). Burnout and coping skills of nurses in the mental health facilities. Ewha womans University Nursing Science Research, 19, 55-65.
- Chou, H. Y., Hecker, R. and Martin, A. (2012). Predicting nurses‘ well-being from job demands and resources: A cross-sectional study of emotional labour. Journal of Nursing Management, 20, 502-511. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01305.x
- Chun, D. S. (2013). A study on the effects of casino dealer's job characteristics on emotional labor and customer orientation, Master's Thesis, Silla University, Busan.
- Eisenberger, R., Huntington, R., Hutchison, S. and Sowa, D. (1986). Perceived organizational support. Journal of Applied Psychology, 71, 500-507. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.71.3.500
- Gosserand, R. H. (2003). An examination of individual and organizational factors related to emotional labor, Doctoral dissertation, Louisiana State University, Louisiana.
- Gountas, S., Gountas, J., Soutar, G. and Mavondo, F. (2013). Delivering good service: Personal resources, job satisfaction and nurses, customer(patient) orientation. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70, 1553-1563.
- Hackman, J. R. and Oldham, G. R. (1975). Development of the job diagnostic survey.Journal of Applied Psychology, 60, 159-170. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0076546
- Han, S. K. (2013). Occupation status of emotional labor, Korea research institute for vocational education & training, KRIVET issue brief, 26
- Hochschild, A. R. (1983). The managed heart: Commercialization of human feeling, University of California Press, Berkeley, California.
- Jung, M. S. and Kim, K. J. (2006) A study on the effect of emotional labor and leader's emotional intelligence on job satisfaction and organizational commitment for nurses. Korean Journal of Hospital Management, 11, 1-18.
- Kim, H. R., Yi, Y. J., Lee, K. J. and Kim, H. G. (2013). The effect of emotional labor for job stress in bus drivers. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 23, 20-27.
- Kim, I. S. (2009). The role of self-efficacy and social support in the relationship between emotional labor and burnout. turnover intention among hospital nurses. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 15, 515-526.
- Kim, K. O. and Cho, Y. C. (2013). The relationships between emotional labour and depressive symptoms among nurses in university hospitals. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14, 3794-3803. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794
- Kim, M. J. (1998). Effects of the hotel employee's emotional labor upon the job-related attitudes. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 21, 129-141.
- Kim Y. K., Sung J. H. and Kang J. C. (2007). Exploring the appropriate operation ratio on hospital revenue cost and profit. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 18, 31-40.
- Kim, Y. S., Chung, E. Y., Kim, J. N. and Seo, Y. J. (2012). The effect of emotional labor on job stress, burnout and job satisfaction of hospital nurses. Korean Public Health Research, 40, 75-88.
- Lee, K. J. and Lee, E. (2011). The relationship of emotional labor, empowerment, job burnout and turnover intention of clinical nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 20, 130-142. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.130
- Lee, M. H. (2014). A path analysis among the burnout and intent to stay of the infection control nurse: Verification of job demand-resource model, Doctoral dissertation, Deajeon University, Deajeon.
- Lee N. Y., Han J. Y. and Heo M. J (2015). Comparison of satisfaction and need on nursing service perceived by the patients and nurses. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 26, 169-177. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2015.26.1.169
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2012). Ministry of health and welfare statistical year book, 58.
- Moon, S. J. and Han, S. S. (2011). A predictive model on turnover intention of nurses in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41, 633-641. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.633
- Morris, J. A. and Feldman, D. C. (1996). The dimensions, antecedents, and consequences of emotional labor. The Academy of Management Review, 21, 986-1010. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071861
- Morris, J. A. and Feldman, D. C. (1997). Managing emotions in the workplace. Journal of Managerial Issues, 9, 257-274.
- Mowday, R. R., Steers, R. M. and Porter, L. W. (1979).The measurement of organizational commitment. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 14, 224-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- Nixon, A. E., Yang, L. Q., Spector, P. E. and Zhang, X. (2011). Emotional labor in china: do perceived organizational support and gender moderate the process? Stress and Health, 27, 289-305. https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.1359
- Pack, H. H., Pack, K. S,. Yom, Y. H. and Kim K. H. (2006). Impact of clinical nurses' power and empowerment on job satisfaction and organizational commitment. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36, 244-254. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.2.244
- Seo, Y. S. and Sung, K. W. (2011). Relation of emotional labor, job involvement, and job satisfaction for nurses in long-term care facilities. Journal of Korean Gerontology Nursing, 13, 193-203.
- Shin, S. Y. (2012).Professional self-concept and organizational commitment of preceptors and general nurse. Master's Thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- Song, M. S. (2014). Influence of emotional labor on job involvement, job satisfaction, and turnover intention of clinical nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial Cooperation Society, 15, 3741-3750. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3741
- Sung, M H., Kim, Y. A. and Ha, M. J. (2011). The relationships of professional self-concept, professional autonomy and self-esteem to job satisfaction of clinical nurses. Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18, 547-555.
- Wharton, A. S. (1993). The affective consequences of service work: Managing emotions on the job. Work and Occupations, 20, 205-231. https://doi.org/10.1177/0730888493020002004
- Withey, M., Daft, R. L. and Cooper, W. H. (1983). Measures of Prrow's work unit technology. Academy of Management Journal, 26, 45-63. https://doi.org/10.2307/256134
- Yang, F. H. and Chang, C. C. (2008). Emotional labour, job satisfaction and organizational commitment amongst clinical nurses: A questionnaire survey. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 45, 879-887. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2007.02.001
- Zhang, W. (2011). Impact of emotional labor on job satisfaction: The moderating role of job characteristics among supermarket employees, Master's Thesis, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan.
- Influence of teamwork skill and decision making competency on nursing work performance vol.27, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.5.1361
- Factors influencing the intent to return to practice (work) of inactive RNs vol.27, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.3.791
- Relationships among Emotional Labor, Burnout, and Organizational Effectiveness of Employees in Public Health Centers vol.30, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2016.30.3.544
- Impact of resilience and job involvement on turnover intention of new graduate nurses using structural equation modeling vol.15, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12210