- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Exploring Korean Collegians' Smartphone Game Behavior: Focusing on Conciseness, Perceived Ease of Use, Perceived Enjoyment, Flow, and Intent to Use
한국대학생의 스마트폰 게임 행위의 탐색: 간명성, 인지적 용이성, 인지적 즐거움, 플로우 및 이용의도를 중심으로
- Joo, Jihyuk (Dept. of Journalism & Communication, Far East University)
- 주지혁 (극동대학교 언론홍보학과)
- Received : 2015.11.14
- Accepted : 2016.01.20
- Published : 2016.01.28
This study explored Korean college students' smartphone game behavior for the pastime. Smartphone games have weakness that is not appropriate for playing the game because of small screen and non-sophisticated interface for operation. To defeat the disadvantage, the games employed minimalism like conciseness or simplicity. The study explored how conciseness influences perceived ease of use, perceived enjoyment, flow, and intent to use the game through PLS path modeling. We found that every hypothesis except a path, perceived ease of use to flow, proved significant. This result means that smartphone game design should consider the interface of users' convenience and user experience practically. Finally, based on the findings, suggestions for future studies were discussed.
- H. Jo, "The situation of smartphone usage in Korea: Focusing on sex and age", Internet & Security, Nov., pp. 35-51, 2013.
- D.-H. Jo, B.-W. Lim, Y.-J. Cho, "Comparing user experience-based design and minimalism", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 145-15, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2008.8.5.145
- Y.-K. Kim, "A study of the characteristics of minimalism on GUI in game", Cartoon & Animation Studies, No. 31, pp. 249-266, 2013.
- C. R. Wren, C. J. Reynolds, "Minimalism in ubiquitous interface design", Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 370-373, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00779-004-0299-2
- C. R. Wren, C. J. Reynolds, "Parsimony & transparency in ubiquitous interface design", in ADJUNCT PROCEEDINGS, 2002, p. 31.
- E. Oh, C. Kim, "A study on the characteristics of digital games affecting the flow, perceived enjoyment, and intention to use of digital games: concerning the users of paid and free games", The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 133-166, 2009.
- F. D. Davis, "Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 319-339, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- V. Venkatesh, "Determinants of perceived ease of use: Integrating control, intrinsic motivation, and emotion into the technology acceptance model", Information Systems Research, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 342-365, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.11.4.342.11872
- A. H. Segars, V. Grover, "Re-examining perceived ease of use and usefulness: A confirmatory factor analysis", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 17, pp. 843-851, 1993.
- E. Rogers, Diffusion of Innovations, 4th ed. N.Y.: Free Press, 1995.
- C.-H. Liao, C.-W. Tsou, Y.-C. Shu, "The role of perceived enjoyment and price perception in determining acceptance of multimedia-on-demand", International Journal of Business and Information, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 27-52, 2008.
- H. van der Heijden, "Factors influencing the usage of websites: The case of a generic portal in the Netherlands", Information & Management, Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 541-549, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7206(02)00079-4
- E.-H. Oh, C.-S. Kim, J.-J. Jung, "The influence of the characteristics of digital contents on the usage intention: Focusing on the customer types", Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 329-367, 2009.
- M. Csikszentmihalyi, J. LeFevre, "Optimal experience in work and leisure", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 56, No. 5, pp. 815-822, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1685
- C.-L. Hsu, H.-P. Lu, "Why do people play on-line games? An extended TAM with social influences and flow experience", Information & Management, Vol. 41, No. 7, pp. 853-868, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2003.08.014
- M. Hajli, "An integrated model for e-commerce adoption at the customer level with the impact of social commerce", International Journal of Information Science and Management, Vol. 16, No. Special Issue, pp. 77-97, 2012.
- D. Gefen, D. Straub, M.-C. Boudreau, "Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice", Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 4, No. 1, p. Article 7, 2000.
- W. W. Chin, "Commentary: Issues and opinion on structural equation modeling", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 14, pp. vii-xvi, 1998.
- J. Joo, "Exploring Korean collegians' social commerce usage: Extending technology acceptance model with word-of-mouth and perceived enjoyment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 8, pp. 147-155, 2014.
- J. Joo, "Understanding Korean college students' social commerce behavior through an integrated model of technology readiness, technology acceptance model, and theory of planned behavior", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 99-107, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.99
- H. Sun, P. Zhang, "Causal relationships between perceived enjoyment and perceived ease of use: An alternative approach", Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 7, No. 9, pp. 618-645, 2006. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00100
- D. Choi, J. Kim, "Why people continue to play online games: In search of critical design factors to increase customers loyalty to online contents", Cyberpsychology & Behavior, Vol. 7, pp. 11-2, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1089/109493104322820066
- W. W. Chin, A. Gopal, W. D. Salisbury, "Advancing the theory of adaptive structuration: The development of a scale to measure faithfulness of appropriation", Information Systems Research, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 342-367, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.8.4.342
- D. Gefen, D. W. Straub, "Consumer trust in B2C e-Commerce and the importance of social presence: experiments in e-Products and e-Services", Omega, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 407-424, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2004.01.006
- B. H. Wixom, H. J. Watson, "An empirical investigation of the factors affecting data warehousing success", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 17-41, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250957
- P. Chwelos, I. Benbasat, A. S. Dexter, "Research report: Empirical test of an EDI adoption model", Information Systems Research, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 304-321, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.12.3.304.9708
- Understanding compulsive smartphone use: An empirical test of a flow-based model vol.37, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2017.04.009