- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Numerical analysis and horizontal bearing capacity of steel reinforced recycled concrete columns
- Ma, Hui (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Xi'an University of Technology) ;
- Xue, Jianyang (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology) ;
- Liu, Yunhe (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Xi'an University of Technology) ;
- Dong, Jing (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Xi'an University of Technology)
- Received : 2016.06.16
- Accepted : 2016.10.30
- Published : 2016.11.20
This paper simulates the hysteretic behavior of steel reinforced recycled concrete (SRRC) columns under cyclic loads using OpenSees software. The effective fiber model and displacement-based beam-column element in OpenSees is applied to each SRRC columns. The Concrete01 material model for recycled aggregate concrete (RAC) and Steel02 material model is proposed to perform the numerical simulation of columns. The constitutive models of RAC, profile steel and rebars in columns were assigned to each fiber element. Based on the modelling method, the analytical models of SRRC columns are established. It shows that the calculated hysteresis loops of most SRRC columns agree well with the test curves. In addition, the parameter studies (i.e., strength grade of RAC, stirrups strength, steel strength and steel ratio) on seismic performance of SRRC columns were also investigated in detail by OpenSees. The calculation results of parameter analysis show that SRRC columns suffered from flexural failure has good seismic performance through the reasonable design. The ductility and bearing capacity of columns increases as the increasing magnitude of steel strength, steel ratio and stirrups strength. Although the bearing capacity of columns increases as the strength grade of RAC increases, the ductility and energy dissipation capacity decreases gradually. Based on the test and numerical results, the flexural failure mechanism of SRRC columns were analysed in detail. The computing theories of the normal section of bearing capacity for the eccentrically loaded columns were adopted to calculate the nominal bending strength of SRRC columns subjected to vertical axial force under lateral cyclic loads. The calculation formulas of horizontal bearing capacity for SRRC columns were proposed based on their nominal bending strength.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, Ministry of Housing and Urban-rural Development of China, Young Talent Fund of University Association for Science and Technology in Shaanxi of China
- ACI Committee (2011), American Concrete Institute and International Organization for Standardization; Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-11) and commentary, American Concrete Institute.
- Chen, Z.P., Zhong, M., Chen, Y.L., Xue, J.Y. and Cui, W.G. (2014), "Mechanical behavior and computed bearing capacity of steel reinforced recycled aggregate concrete columns under eccentric loading", Eng. Mech., 31(4), 160-170.
- Chen, Z.P., Xu, J.J., Chen, Y.L. and Xue, J.Y. (2015), "Seismic behavior of steel reinforced concrete (SRC) T-shaped column-beam planar and 3D hybrid joints under cyclic loads", Earthq. Struct., Int. J., 8(3), 555-572. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.3.555
- Chitawadagi, M.V., Narasimhan, M.C. and Kulkarni, S.M. (2010), "Axial strength of circular concrete-filled steel tube columns - DOE approach", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 66(10), 1248-1260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.04.006
- Cui, W.G. (2011), "Experimental study on mechanical behaviors of normal cross-section of steel reinforced recycled concrete composite columns", Master Thesis; Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology.
- Denavit, M.D. and Hajjar, J.F. (2014), "Characterization of behavior of steel-concrete composite members and frames with applications for design", Newmark Structural Engineering Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Fathifazl, G., Abbas, A., Razaqpur, A.G., Isgor, O.B., Fournier, B. and Foo, S. (2009a), "New mixture proportioning method for concrete made with coarse recycled concrete aggregate", J. Mater. Civil. Eng., 21(10), 601-611. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2009)21:10(601)
- Fathifazl, G., Razaqpur, A.G., Isgor, O.B., Abbas, A., Fournier, B. and Foo, S. (2009b), "Flexural performance of steel-reinforced recycled concrete beams", ACI Struct. J., 106(6), 858-867.
- Fathifazl, G., Razaqpur, A.G., Isgor, O.B., Abbasd, A., Fourniere, B. and Foof, S. (2011), "Shear capacity evaluation of steel reinforced recycled concrete (RRC) beams", Eng. Struct., 33(3), 1025-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.12.025
- Gonzalez, V.C.L. and Moriconi, G. (2014), "The influence of recycled concrete aggregates on the behavior of beam-column joints under cyclic loading", Eng. Struct., 60(2),148-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.12.024
- Hassanein, M.F., Kharoob, O.F. and Gardner, L. (2015), "Behaviour and design of square concrete-filled double skin tubular columns with inner circular tubes", Eng. Struct., 100(10), 410-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.06.022
- Huang, Y.J., Xiao, J.Z. and Zhang, C.H. (2012), "Theoretical study on mechanical behavior of steel confined recycled aggregate concrete", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 76(9), 100-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.03.020
- Kang, H.Z., Song, X.M., Jia, K.W., Zhou, L.P. and Liu, P. (2013), "Numerical analyses on seismic behaviour of concrete-filled steel tube composite columns based on OpenSEES program", J. Eng. Sci. Tech. Rev., 6(5), 143-148.
- Kim, S.W. and Yun, H.D. (2013), "Influence of recycled coarse aggregates on the bond behavior of deformed bars in concrete", Eng. Struct., 48(3), 133-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.10.009
- Kim, S.H., Jung, C.Y. and Ann, J.H. (2011), "Ultimate strength of composite structure with different degrees of shear connection", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 11(5), 375-390. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2011.11.5.375
- Li, X.P. (2008), "Recycling and reuse of waste concrete in China: Part I. Material behaviour of recycled aggregate concrete", Resour. Conserv. Recy., 53(1-2), 36-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2008.09.006
- Li, X.P. (2009), "Recycling and reuse of waste concrete in China: Part II. Structural behaviour of recycled aggregate concrete and engineering applications", Resour. Conserv. Recy., 53(1), 107-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2008.11.005
- Li, W., Li, Q.N. and Jiang, W.S. (2012), "Parameter study on composite frames consisting of steel beams and reinforced concrete columns", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 77(10), 145-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.04.007
- Li, W.G., Xiao, J.Z., Shi, C.J. and Poon, C.S. (2015), "Structural behaviour of composite members with recycled aggregate concrete-an overview", Adv. Struct. Eng., 18(6), 919-938. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43220.127.116.119
- Lu, X.Z., Xie, L.L., Guan, H. and Lu, X. (2015), "A shear wall element for nonlinear seismic analysis of super-tall buildings using OpenSees", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 98(6), 14-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2015.01.006
- Ma, H., Xue, J.Y., Zhang, X.C. and Luo, D.M. (2013), "Seismic performance of steel-reinforced recycled concrete columns under low cyclic loads", Constr. Build. Mater., 48(11), 229-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.06.019
- Ma, H., Xue, J.Y., Liu, Y.H. and Zhang, X.C. (2015), "Cyclic loading tests and shear strength of steel reinforced recycled concrete short columns", Eng. Struct., 92(6), 55-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.03.009
- Mazzoni, S., Mckenna, F., Scott, M.H. and Fenves, G.L. (2006), "OpenSees command language manual", Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research (PEER) Center.
- Moridani, K.K. and Zarfam, P. (2013), "Nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete joints with bond-slip effect consideration in OpenSees", Nonlinear Anal., 3(6), 362-367.
- Tabsh, S.W. and Abdelfatah, A.S. (2009), "Influence of recycled concrete aggregates on strength properties of concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 23(2), 1163-1167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2008.06.007
- Talaeitaba, S.B., Halabian, M. and Torki, M.E. (2015), "Nonlinear behavior of FRP-reinforced concretefilled double-skin tubular columns using finite element analysis", Thin. Wall. Struct., 95(10), 389-407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.07.018
- Thomas, C., Setien, J., Polanco, J.A., Alaejos, P. and Juanb, M.S.d. (2013), "Durability of recycled aggregate concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 40(3), 1054-1065 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.11.106
- Wang, Y.Y., Chen, J. and Geng, Y. (2015a), "Testing and analysis of axially loaded normal-strength recycled aggregate concrete filled steel tubular stub columns", Eng. Struct., 86(3), 192-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.01.007
- Wang, Q.W, Shi, Q.X and Tian, H.H. (2015b), "Seismic behavior of steel reinforced concrete (SRC) joints with new-type section steel under cyclic loading", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 19(6), 1561-1580 https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.6.1561
- Won, C.C. and Hyun, D.Y. (2012), "Compressive behavior of reinforced concrete columns with recycled aggregate under uniaxial loading", Eng. Struct., 41(8), 285-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.037
- Xiao, J.Z., Li, W.G., Fan, Y.H. and Huang, X. (2012a), "An overview of study on recycled aggregate concrete in China (1996-2011)", Constr. Build. Mater., 31(6), 364-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.12.074
- Xiao, J.Z., Huang, X. and Shen, L.M. (2012b), "Seismic behavior of semi-precast column with recycled aggregate concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 35(10), 988-1001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.04.062
- Xue, J.Y., Chen, Z.P., Zhao, H.T., Gao, L. and Liu, Z.Q. (2012), "Shear mechanism and bearing capacity calculation on steel reinforced concrete special-shaped columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 13(5), 473-487. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.13.5.473
- Zhou, X.H. and Liu, J.P. (2010), "Seismic behavior and strength of tubed steel reinforced concrete (SRC) short columns", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 66(7), 885-896. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.01.020