- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Laminate composites behavior under quasi-static and high velocity perforation
- Yeganeh, E. Mehrabani (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University) ;
- Liaghat, G.H. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University) ;
- Pol, M.H. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tafresh University)
- Received : 2016.07.31
- Accepted : 2016.10.28
- Published : 2016.11.20
In this paper, the behavior of woven E-glass fabric composite laminate was experimentally investigated under quasi-static indentation and high velocity impact by flat-ended, hemispherical, conical (cone angle of
- Al-Hassani, S. and Kaddour, A. (1997), "Strain rate effects on GRP, KRP and CFRP composite laminates", Key Eng. Mater., 141, 427-452.
- Baucom, J. and Zikry, M. (2003), "Evolution of failure mechanisms in 2D and 3D woven composite systems under quasi-static perforation", J. Compos. Mater., 37(18), 1651-1674. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998303035178
- Gordnian, K., Hadavinia, H., Mason, P. and Madenci, E. (2008), "Determination of fracture energy and tensile cohesive strength in Mode I delamination of angle-ply laminated composites", Compos. Struct., 82(4), 577-586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2007.02.008
- Gama, B.A. and Gillespie Jr., J.W. (2008), "Punch shear based penetration model of ballisti impact of thicksection composites", Compos. Struct., 86(4), 356-369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2007.11.001
- Icten, B.M., Kiral, B.G. and Deniz, M.E. (2013), "Impactor diameter effect on low velocity impact response of woven glass epoxy composite plates", Compos. Part B: Eng., 50, 325-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.02.024
- Iremonger, M. and Went, A. (1996), "Ballistic impact of fibre composite armours by fragment-simulating projectiles", Compos. Part A: Appl. Sci. Manuf., 27(7), 575-581. https://doi.org/10.1016/1359-835X(96)00029-2
- Jordan, J.B. and Naito, C.J. (2014), "An experimental investigation of the effect of nose shape on fragments penetrating GFRP", Int. J. Impact Eng., 63, 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2013.08.002
- Jordan, J.B., Naito, C.J. and Haque, B.Z.G. (2013), "Quasi-static, low-velocity impact and ballistic impact behavior of plain weave E-glass/phenolic composites", J. Compos. Mater., 48(20), 2505-2516. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998313499952
- Khodadadi, A., Liaghat, G.H., Akbari, M. and Tahmasebi, M. (2013), "Numerical and experimental analysis of penetration into Kevlar fabrics and investigation of the effective factors on the ballistic performance", Modares Mech. Eng., 13(12), 124-133.
- Lambert, J. and Jonas, G. (1852), Towards Standardization in Terminal Ballistics Testing: Velocity Representation. Ballistic Research Laboratories, Report No. BRL-R; Aberdeen Proving Ground, MA, USA.
- Lee, S.-H., Aono, Y., Noguchi, H. and Cheong, S.-K. (2003), "Damage mechanism of hybrid composites with nonwoven carbon tissue subjected to quasi-static indentation loads", J. Compos. Mater., 37(4), 333-349. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998303037004334
- Manzella, A., Gama, B. and Gillespie Jr., J. (2011), "Effect of punch and specimen dimensions on the confined compression behavior of S-2 glass/epoxy composites", Compos. Struct., 93(7), 1726-1737. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2010.11.006
- Mines, R., Roach, A. and Jones, N. (1999), "High velocity perforation behaviour of polymer composite laminates", Int. J. Impact Eng., 22(6), 561-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(99)00019-6
- Mitrevski, T., Marshall, I., Thomson, R., Jones, R. and Whittingham, B. (2005), "The effect of impactor shape on the impact response of composite laminates", Compos. Struct., 67(2), 139-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.09.007
- Mitrevski, T., Marshall, I., Thomson, R. and Jones, R. (2006), "Low-velocity impacts on preloaded GFRP specimens with various impactor shapes", Compos. Struct., 76(3), 209-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.06.033
- Muhi, R., Najim, F. and De Moura, M. (2009), "The effect of hybridization on the GFRP behavior under high velocity impact", Compos. Part B: Eng., 40(8), 798-803. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2009.08.002
- Pol, M.H., Liaghat, G. and Hajiarazi, F. (2013), "Effect of nanoclay on ballistic behavior of woven fabric composites: Experimental investigation", J. Compos. Mater., 47(13), 1563-1573. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998312449768
- Recht, R. and Ipson, T. (1963), "Ballistic perforation dynamics", J. Appl. Mech., 30(3), 384-390. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3636566
- Reid, S.R. and Zhou, G. (2000), "Impact behaviour of fibre-reinforced composite materials and structures", CRC Press.
- Sutherland, L.S. and Soares, C.G. (1999), "Impact test on woven-fabric E-glass/polyester laminates", Compos. Sci. Technol., 59(9), 1553-1567. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(99)00023-8
- Ulven, C., Vaidya, U. and Hosur, M. (2003), "Effect of projectile shape during ballistic perforation of VARTM carbon/epoxy composite panels", Compos. Struct., 61(1), 143-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(03)00037-0
- Wen, H., Reddy, T., Reid, S. and Soden, P. (1997), "Indentation, penetration and perforation of composite laminate and sandwich panels under quasi-static and projectile loading", Key Eng. Mater., 141, 501-552.
- Xiao, J., Gama, B. and Gillespie Jr., J. (2007), "Progressive damage and delamination in plain weave S-2 glass/SC-15 composites under quasi-static punch-shear loading", Compos. Struct., 78(2), 182-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.09.001
- Yahaya, R., Sapuan, S.M., Jawaid, M., Leman, Z. and Zainudin, E.S. (2014), "Quasi-static penetration and ballistic properties of kenaf aramid hybrid composites", Mater. Des., 63(2), 775-782. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.07.010
- Investigation of behaviors of glass/epoxy laminate composites reinforced with carbon nanotubes under quasi-static punch shear loading 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636217719223
- Analytical and Experimental Investigation of Ballistic Impact on Thin Laminated Composite Plate vol.10, pp.02, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S1758825118500205