- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Eating habits, physical activity, nutrition knowledge, and self-efficacy by obesity status in upper-grade elementary school students
- Ha, Seong Ah ;
- Lee, Seo Yeon ;
- Kim, Kyung A ;
- Seo, Jung Sook ;
- Sohn, Cheong Min ;
- Park, Hae Ryun ;
- Kim, Kyung Won
- Received : 2015.11.22
- Accepted : 2016.07.04
- Published : 2016.12.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Childhood obesity has increased in recent decades in Korea. This study was designed to examine differences in the eating habits, physical activity (PA), nutrition knowledge, and self-efficacy of children by obesity status. SUBJECTS/METHODS: Subjects were 5th-grade children from 70 elementary schools in 17 cities nationwide. Two-stage stratified cluster sampling was employed. Survey questionnaire included items related to general characteristics, eating habits, PA, nutrition knowledge and self-efficacy. Excluding incomplete responses, 3,531 data were analyzed using SPSS. Subjects were categorized into overweight obesity (OW) and normal weight (NW) groups based on body mass index percentiles for age by sex. RESULTS: A total of 21.5% of subjects was overweight or obese. There were significant differences in gender, perceived stress, perception of body shape, body satisfaction, and interest in weight control between the OW and NW groups (P < 0.001). With respect to eating habits, the OW group ate breakfast (P < 0.05) and snacks (P < 0.01) less frequently, ate bigger meals (P < 0.001), and demonstrated less desirable behaviors during meals (P < 0.05 in boys) compared to the NW group. The OW group participated in less PA than the NW group, especially boys. OW boys spent less time walking during weekdays (P < 0.05) or the weekend (P < 0.001), spent more time being sedentary during weekdays or the weekend (P < 0.001), and exercised a fewer number of days (P < 0.01). For girls, the OW group spent more time being sedentary during the weekend (P < 0.01) and exercised a fewer number of days by walking or bicycle riding (P < 0.05) than the NW group. Nutrition knowledge was not significantly different between the OW and NW groups. Self-efficacy (P < 0.01 in boys), especially PA self-efficacy (P < 0.01), was significantly lower in the OW than NW group. CONCLUSIONS: This study revealed differences in eating habits, PA, and self-efficacy between OW and NW children. Obesity management programs for children need to focus on increasing self-efficacy, modifying eating habits, and increasing PA.
child;obesity;eating habits;Physical activity;Self efficacy
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2013: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-1). Cheongju: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2014.
- Korean Educational Development Institute. 2011 Student Health Survey and Analysis. Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute; 2012.
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. Overweight and obesity. In: OECD Factbook 2014: Economic, Environmental and Social Statistics. Paris: OECD Publishing; 2014. p.246-7.
- Dietz WH. Childhood weight affects adult morbidity and mortality. J Nutr 1998;128:411S-414S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.2.411S
- Brown JE, Isaacs JS, Krinke UB, Lechtenberg E, Murtaugh MA, Sharbaugh C, Splett PL, Stang J, Wooldridge NH. Nutrition through the Life Cycle. 4th ed. Belmont (CA): Wadsworth; 2011.
- Baek S. Do obese children exhibit distinguishable behaviours from normal weight children? - based on literature review. Korean J Community Nutr 2008;13:386-95.
- Nicklas TA, Yang SJ, Baranowski T, Zakeri I, Berenson G. Eating patterns and obesity in children. The Bogalusa Heart Study. Am J Prev Med 2003;25:9-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00098-9
- Lobstein T, Baur L, Uauy R; IASO International Obesity TaskForce. Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health. Obes Rev 2004;5 Suppl 1:4-104. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2004.00133.x
- Yu SH, Song Y, Park M, Kim SH, Shin S, Joung H. Relationship between adhering to dietary guidelines and the risk of obesity in Korean children. Nutr Res Pract 2014;8:705-12. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2014.8.6.705
- Bandura A. Social Foundations of Thought and Action: a Social Cognitive Theory. Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice Hall; 1986.
- Keihner AJ, Meigs R, Sugerman S, Backman D, Garbolino T, Mitchell P. The power play! Campaign's school idea & resource kits improve determinants of fruit and vegetable intake and physical activity among fourth- and fifth-grade children. J Nutr Educ Behav 2011;43: S122-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2011.02.010
- Hatfield DP, Chomitz VR, Chui KK, Sacheck JM, Economos CD. Demographic, physiologic, and psychosocial correlates of physical activity in structured exercise and sports among low-income, overweight children. J Nutr Educ Behav 2015;47:452-458.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2015.05.008
- Lee SY, Ha SA, Seo JS, Sohn CM, Park HR, Kim KW. Eating habits and eating behaviors by family dinner frequency in the lower-grade elementary school students. Nutr Res Pract 2014;8:679-87. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2014.8.6.679
- Cho YG, Song HR, Kim KA, Kang JH, Song YH, Yun HJ, Kim HS. Effect of a school-based intervention for overweight children "fitness class" performed on elementary schools located in Seoul. Korean J Obes 2009;18:146-57.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; The Korean Pediatric Society. 2007 Children and Adolescent Physical Growth Standard. Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2007.
- Na SY, Ko SY, Eom SH, Kim KW. Intakes and beliefs of vegetables and fruits, self-efficacy, nutrition knowledge, eating behavior of elementary school students in Kyunggi area. Korean J Community Nutr 2010;15:329-41.
- Ko SY, Kim KW. Nutrition label use, self-efficacy, snacking and eating behavior of middle school students in Kyunggi area. Korean J Community Nutr 2010;15:513-24.
- Choi HJ, Seo JS. Nutrient intakes and obesity-related factors of obese children and the effect of nutrition education program. Korean J Community Nutr 2003;8:477-84.
- Guthold R, Cowan MJ, Autenrieth CS, Kann L, Riley LM. Physical activity and sedentary behavior among schoolchildren: a 34-country comparison. J Pediatr 2010;157:43-49.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2010.01.019
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US). 2007 State and Local Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Clifton road Atlanta (GA): Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2007.
- Kang JH. Relationship between physical activity and psychological factors in obese children [doctor's thesis]. Seoul: Korea National Sport University; 2009.
- Baek S, Yeo J. Comparison of weight control behavior and selfesteem between healthy weight and obese children. Korean J Community Nutr 2006;11:562-74.
- Lee HS, Jeong WS, Park UI. The dietary behavior of obese and normal weight elementary school children with maternal guidance for their dietary behavior. Korean J Community Nutr 2003;8:831-9.
- Park PN. A study for the body image, self-esteem and sociability of elementary students related on obesity. J Korean Soc Sch Health 2007;20:13-21.
- Cho IS, Park IH, Ryu HS, Park YS, Hwang SL, Ahan HH. A study of the degree of obesity in elementary school students according to grade and gender. J Agric Med Community Health 2006;31:177-85.
- Park JO, Jun SS, Kim YH, Ahn SH. Relationships between sex and perception of body shape, satisfaction with body weight, and experiences of weight control according to obesity level among elementary schoolers. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health 2005;9: 63-71.
- Park HO, Kim EK, Chi KA, Kwak TK. Comparison of the nutrition knowledge, food habits and life styles of obese children and normal children in elementary school in Kyeong-gi province. Korean J Community Nutr 2000;5:586-97.
- Kim JK, Im JS, Yim J, Park SH, Hong DH. The relationship between economic status and adolescent obesity in Incheon, Korea. Korean J Obes 2007;16:76-85.
- Kim MJ. The Effect of eating habit, life behavior and body image of higher grade elementary school children and parents in child obesity degree. Korean J Growth Dev 2013;21:227-35.
- Joung H, Paik HY, Ahn HS, Kim CI, Chang N, Lee KH, Yoon JS, Kim DW. Revised dietary guidelines for Koreans, II. Infants, children, and adolescents. Nutr Diet 2010;33:22-6.
- Kang HS, Hong HR, Park JK. Comparison of obesity indices, metabolic risk factors, physical activity between boys and girls. Korean J Phys Educ 2010;49:581-9.
- Dencker M, Thorsson O, Karlsson MK, Linden C, Eiberg S, Wollmer P, Andersen LB. Daily physical activity related to body fat in children aged 8-11 years. J Pediatr 2006;149:38-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2006.02.002
- Chung WC, Cho YG, Kang JH, Park HA, Kim KW, Kang JH, Kim NR, Kim HJ, Kim OH. Lifestyle habits related to abdominal obesity in Korean adolescents. Korean J Fam Med 2010;31:547-54. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.7.547
- Song JH. The relationships between physical education attitudes and levels of physical activity in overweight and normal weight elementary school students. Korean J Elem Phys Educ 2011;17: 99-109.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Washington (D.C.): U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2008.
- Kim JH, Ha AW, Kang NE. Differences in table attitudes, eating habits, and nutrition knowledge in elementary school boys and girls. Korean J Food Nutr 2010;23:623-32.
- You JS, Kim SM, Chang KJ. Nutritional knowledge and dietary behavior of the 6th grade elementary school students in Daejeon area by gender and skipping breakfast. Korean J Nutr 2009;42: 256-67. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.3.256
- Ahn HS, Chung KM, Jeon J. The effect of BMI and physical ability on self-efficacy, quality of life, and self-esteem in overweight and obese children. Korean J Health Psychol 2011;16:537-55. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2011.16.3.007
- Franklin J, Denyer G, Steinbeck KS, Caterson ID, Hill AJ. Obesity and risk of low self-esteem: a statewide survey of Australian children. Pediatrics 2006;118:2481-7. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2006-0511
- Lee MS, Kim JK, Lee NJ, Kim EJ. Health-related physical fitness and self-efficacy among elementary school students based upon obesity status and residential areas of education offices. J Korean Soc Meas Eval Phys Educ Sports Sci 2011;13:91-103.
- Lim HJ, Kim MJ, Kim KW. Factors associated with nutrition label use among female college students applying the theory of planned behavior. Nutr Res Pract 2015;9:63-70. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.1.63
Supported by : Ministry of Food and Drug Safety