- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
High maysin corn silk extract reduces body weight and fat deposition in C57BL/6J mice fed high-fat diets
- Lee, Eun Young (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Sun Lim (Crop Foundation Division National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Kang, Hyeon Jung (Crop Foundation Division National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Kim, Myung Hwan (Department of Food Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Ha, Ae Wha (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Woo Kyoung (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University)
- Received : 2016.05.16
- Accepted : 2016.08.09
- Published : 2016.12.01
BACKGROUNG/OBJECTIVES: The study was performed to investigate the effects and mechanisms of action of high maysin corn silk extract on body weight and fat deposition in experimental animals. MATERIALS/METHODS: A total of 30 male C57BL/6J mice, 4-weeks-old, were purchased and divided into three groups by weight using a randomized block design. The normal-fat (NF) group received 7% fat (diet weight basis), the high-fat (HF) group received 25% fat and 0.5% cholesterol, and the high-fat corn silk (HFCS) group received high-fat diet and high maysin corn silk extract at 100 mg/kg body weight through daily oral administration. Body weight and body fat were measured, and mRNA expression levels of proteins involved in adipocyte differentiation, fat accumulation, fat synthesis, lipolysis, and fat oxidation in adipose tissue and the liver were measured. RESULTS: After experimental diet intake for 8 weeks, body weight was significantly lower in the HFCS group compared to the HF group (P < 0.05), and kidney fat and epididymal fat pad weights were significantly lower in the HFCS group compared to the HF group (P < 0.05). In the HFCS group, CCAAT/enhancer binding protein-
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Developmen
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Velazquez DV, Xavier HS, Batista JE, de Castro-Chaves C. Zea mays L. extracts modify glomerular function and potassium urinary excretion in conscious rats. Phytomedicine 2005;12:363-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2003.12.010
- Maksimovic Z, Malencic D, Kovacevic N. Polyphenol contents and antioxidant activity of Maydis stigma extracts. Bioresour Technol 2005;96:873-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.09.006
- Hasanudin K, Hashim P, Mustafa S. Corn silk (Stigma maydis) in healthcare: a phytochemical and pharmacological review. Molecules 2012;17:9697-715. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules17089697
- Grases F, March JG, Ramis M, Costa-Bauza A. The influence of Zea mays on urinary risk factors for kidney stones in rats. Phytother Res 1993;7:146-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2650070210
- Barnes J, Anderson LA, Phillipson JD. Herbal Medicines: a Guide for Health-care Professionals. 2nd ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press; 1996.
- George GO, Idu FK. Corn silk aqueous extracts and intraocular pressure of systemic and non-systemic hypertensive subjects. Clin Exp Optom 2015;98:138-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/cxo.12240
- Du J, Xu QT, Gao XH. Effects of stigma maydis polysaccharide on gastrointestinal movement. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 2007;32: 1203-6.
- Yang J, Li X, Xue Y, Wang N, Liu W. Anti-hepatoma activity and mechanism of corn silk polysaccharides in H22 tumor-bearing mice. Int J Biol Macromol 2014;64:276-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2013.11.033
- Maksimovic ZA, Kovacevic N. Preliminary assay on the antioxidative activity of Maydis stigma extracts. Fitoterapia 2003;74:144-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0367-326X(02)00311-8
- Zeringue HJ Jr. Identification and effects of maize silk volatiles on cultures of Aspergillus flavus. J Agric Food Chem 2000;48:921-5. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf990061k
- Habtemariam S. Extract of corn silk (stigma of Zea mays) inhibits the tumour necrosis factor-alpha- and bacterial lipopolysaccharideinduced cell adhesion and ICAM-1 expression. Planta Med 1998;64: 314-8. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-957441
- Wang GQ, Xu T, Bu XM, Liu BY. Anti-inflammation effects of corn silk in a rat model of carrageenin-induced pleurisy. Inflammation 2012;35:822-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10753-011-9382-9
- Guo J, Liu T, Han L, Liu Y. The effects of corn silk on glycaemic metabolism. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2009;6:47-52. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-6-47
- Guo BZ, Zhang ZJ, Butron A, Widstrom NW, Snook ME, Lynch RE, Plaisted D. Lost P1 allele in sh2 sweet corn: quantitative effects of p1 and a1 genes on concentrations of maysin, apimaysin, methoxymaysin, and chlorogenic acid in maize silk. J Econ Entomol 2004;97:2117-26. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/97.6.2117
- Lee EA, Byrne PF, McMullen MD, Snook ME, Wiseman BR, Widstrom NW, Coe EH. Genetic mechanisms underlying apimaysin and maysin synthesis and corn earworm antibiosis in maize (Zea mays L.). Genetics 1998;149:1997-2006.
- Snook ME, Widstrom NW, Gueldner RC. Reversed-phase highperformance liquid chromatographic procedure for the determination of maysin in corn silks. J Chromatogr A 1989;477:439-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(01)89654-0
- Kim SL, Snook ME, Lee JO. Radical scavenging activity and cytotoxicity of maysin(C-glycosylflavone) isolated from silks of Zea mays L. Korean J Crop Sci 2003;48:392-6.
- Choi DJ, Kim SL, Choi JW, Park YI. Neuroprotective effects of corn silk maysin via inhibition of H2O2-induced apoptotic cell death in SK-N-MC cells. Life Sci 2014;109:57-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2014.05.020
- Lee J, Kim SL, Lee S, Chung MJ, Park YI. Immunostimulating activity of maysin isolated from corn silk in murine RAW 264.7 macrophages. BMB Rep 2014;47:382-7. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2014.47.7.191
- World Health Organization. Obesity and overweight [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; [cited 2016 April 20]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2014: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-2). Sejong: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2015.
- Bray GA. Medical consequences of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89:2583-9. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2004-0535
- Peeters A, Barendregt JJ, Willekens F, Mackenbach JP, Al Mamun A, Bonneux L; NEDCOM, the Netherlands Epidemiology and Demography Compression of Morbidity Research Group. Obesity in adulthood and its consequences for life expectancy: a life-table analysis. Ann Intern Med 2003;138:24-32. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-138-1-200301070-00008
- Wang C, Chan JS, Ren L, Yan JH. Obesity reduces cognitive and motor functions across the lifespan. Neural Plast 2016;2016:2473081.
- Liu Q, Yuan B, Lo KA, Patterson HC, Sun Y, Lodish HF. Adiponectin regulates expression of hepatic genes critical for glucose and lipid metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2012;109:14568-73. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1211611109
- Nishimura J, Masaki T, Arakawa M, Seike M, Yoshimatsu H. Isoleucine prevents the accumulation of tissue triglycerides and upregulates the expression of PPARalpha and uncoupling protein in dietinduced obese mice. J Nutr 2010;140:496-500. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.109.108977
- Thampy KG. Formation of malonyl coenzyme A in rat heart. Identification and purification of an isozyme of A carboxylase from rat heart. J Biol Chem 1989;264:17631-4.
- Kim HJ, Miyazaki M, Man WC, Ntambi JM. Sterol regulatory elementbinding proteins (SREBPs) as regulators of lipid metabolism: polyunsaturated fatty acids oppose cholesterol-mediated induction of SREBP-1 maturation. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2002;967:34-42.
- Zhou G, Myers R, Li Y, Chen Y, Shen X, Fenyk-Melody J, Wu M, Ventre J, Doebber T, Fujii N, Musi N, Hirshman MF, Goodyear LJ, Moller DE. Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in mechanism of metformin action. J Clin Invest 2001;108:1167-74. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI13505
- Min OJ, Sharma BR, Park CM, Rhyu DY. Effect of myadis stigma water extract on adipogenesis and blood glucose in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and db/db mice. Korean J Pharmacogn 2011;42:201-8.
- Reeves PG. Components of the AIN-93 diets as improvements in the AIN-76A diet. J Nutr 1997;127:838S-841S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.5.838S
- Kim SL, Kim MJ, Lee YY, Jung GH, Son BY, Lee JS, Kwon YU, Park YI. Isolation and identification of flavonoids from corn silk. Korean J Crop Sci 2014;59:435-44. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2014.59.4.435
- Kim SL, Jung TW. Maysin and other flavonoid contents in corn silks. Korean J Breed 2001;33:338-43.
- Ha AW, Kim WK, Kim JH, Kang NE. The supplementation effects of peanut sprout on reduction of abdominal fat and health indices in overweight and obese women. Nutr Res Pract 2015;9:249-55. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.3.249
- Livak KJ, Schmittgen TD. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods 2001;25:402-8. https://doi.org/10.1006/meth.2001.1262
- Li Y, Qin G, Liu J, Mao L, Zhang Z, Shang J. Adipose tissue regulates hepatic cholesterol metabolism via adiponectin. Life Sci 2014;118:27-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2014.10.003
- Kadowaki T, Yamauchi T, Kubota N, Hara K, Ueki K, Tobe K. Adiponectin and adiponectin receptors in insulin resistance, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome. J Clin Invest 2006;116:1784-92. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI29126
- Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Waki H, Imai Y, Shimozawa N, Hioki K, Uchida S, Ito Y, Takakuwa K, Matsui J, Takata M, Eto K, Terauchi Y, Komeda K, Tsunoda M, Murakami K, Ohnishi Y, Naitoh T, Yamamura K, Ueyama Y, Froguel P, Kimura S, Nagai R, Kadowaki T. Globular adiponectin protected ob/ob mice from diabetes and ApoEdeficient mice from atherosclerosis. J Biol Chem 2003;278:2461-8. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M209033200
- Floyd ZE, Wang ZQ, Kilroy G, Cefalu WT. Modulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma stability and transcriptional activity in adipocytes by resveratrol. Metabolism 2008;57:S32-8.
- Larter CZ, Yeh MM, Van Rooyen DM, Teoh NC, Brooling J, Hou JY, Williams J, Clyne M, Nolan CJ, Farrell GC. Roles of adipose restriction and metabolic factors in progression of steatosis to steatohepatitis in obese, diabetic mice. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;24:1658-68. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.05996.x
- Lee MS, Kim IH, Kim CT, Kim Y. Reduction of body weight by dietary garlic is associated with an increase in uncoupling protein mRNA expression and activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in diet-induced obese mice. J Nutr 2011;141:1947-53. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.111.146050
- O'Neill HM, Holloway GP, Steinberg GR. AMPK regulation of fatty acid metabolism and mitochondrial biogenesis: implications for obesity. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2013;366:135-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2012.06.019
- Berger JJ, Barnard RJ. Effect of diet on fat cell size and hormonesensitive lipase activity. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1999;87:227-32. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19188.8.131.52
- Corn silk extract improves benign prostatic hyperplasia in experimental rat model vol.11, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2017.11.5.373
- female inflorescences (maize silks) from Mexican maize landraces vol.16, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/19476337.2017.1343866
- Galectin-12 is Involved in Corn Silk-Induced Anti-Adipogenesis and Anti-Obesity Effects vol.46, pp.05, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X18500544