- Volume 7 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A New Accurate Equation for Estimating the Baseline for the Reversal Peak of a Cyclic Voltammogram
- Oh, Sung-Hoon (Department of Chemistry, Pukyong National University) ;
- Chang, Byoung-Yong (Department of Chemistry, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2016.10.12
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.12.31
Here we propose a new equation by which we can estimate the baseline for measuring the peak current of the reverse curve in a cyclic voltammogram. A similar equation already exists, but it is a linear algebraic equation that over-simplifies the voltammetric curve and may cause unpredictable errors when calculating the baseline. In our study, we find a quadratic algebraic equation that acceptably reflects the complexity included in a voltammetric curve. The equation is obtained from a laborious numerical analysis of cyclic voltammetry simulations using the finite element method, and not from the closed form of the mathematical equation. This equation is utilized to provide a virtual baseline current for the reverse peak current. We compare the results obtained using the old linear and new quadratic equations with the theoretical values in terms of errors to ascertain the degree to which accuracy is improved by the new equation. Finally, the equations are applied to practical cyclic voltammograms of ferricyanide in order to confirm the improved accuracy.
Supported by : Pukyong National University
- A.J. Bard and L.R. Faulkner, Electrochemical Methods: Fundamentals and Applications. Wiley, New York (2001).
- M. K. Kamel, J. Electrochem. Sci. Technol., 2014, 5(1), 23-31. https://doi.org/10.5229/JECST.2014.5.1.23
- M. Rashid, T.-S Jun, Y.S. Kim, J. Korean Electrochem. Soc., 2014, 17(1), 18-25. https://doi.org/10.5229/JKES.2014.17.1.18
- S. O. R. Siadat, J. Electrochem. Sci. Technol., 2015, 6(4), 111-115. https://doi.org/10.5229/JECST.2015.6.4.111
- P.E. Whitson, H. W. VandenBorn, D. H. Evans, Anal. Chem., 1973, 45(8), 1298-1306. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60330a016
- R. S. Nicholson, Anal. Chem., 1965, 37(11), 1351-1355. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60230a016
- M. Rudolph, D.P. Reddy and S.W. Feldberg, Anal. Chem., 1994, 66(10), 589A-600A. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac00082a725
- D. K. Gosser, Cyclic Voltammetry: Simulation and Analysis of Reaction Mechanisms. Wiley-VCH, New York (1993).
- I. Streeter and R. G. Compton, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2008, 112(35), 13716-13728. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp804442m
- B.-Y. Chang, J. Electrochem. Sci. Technol., 2015, 6(4), 146-151. https://doi.org/10.5229/JECST.2015.6.4.146