- Volume 21 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The effective noise reduction method in infrared image using bilateral filter based on median value
- Park, Chan-Geun (Electro-Optics Team, Hanwha Systems Co.) ;
- Choi, Byung-In (Image and Sensor Team, Hanwha Systems Co.)
- Received : 2016.11.22
- Accepted : 2016.12.06
- Published : 2016.12.31
In this paper, we propose the bilateral filter based on median value that can reduce random noise and impulse noise with minimal loss of contour information. In general, EO / IR camera to generate a random or impulse noise due to a number of reasons. This noise reduces the performance of detecting and tracking by signal processing. To reduce noise, our proposed bilateral filter sorts the values of the target pixel and the peripheral pixels, and extracts a median filter coefficients of the Gaussian type. Then to extract the Gaussian filter coefficient involved with the distance between the center pixel and the surrounding pixels. As using those filter coefficients, our proposed method can remove the various noise effectively while minimizing the loss of the contour information. To validate our proposed method, we present experimental results for several IR images.
- C. Meola, G. M. Carlomagno, A. Squillace and G. Giorleo, "The use of infrared thermography for nondestructive evaluation of joints," Infrared Physics & Technology, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 93-99, Dec 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infrared.2004.03.013
- L. Becker, "Influence of IR sensor technology on the military and civil defense," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 6127, pp. 61270S-1-61270S-15 February 2006.
- H. B. Srivastaval, Y. B. Limbu, R. Saran, and A. Kumar, "Airborne Infrared Search and Track Systems," Journal of defence science, Vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 739-753, Sept 2007. https://doi.org/10.14429/dsj.57.1810
- Jae-Hyup Kim, Bong-Joon Choi, Seung-Woo Chun, Jong-Min Lee and Young-Shik Moon, "The Target Detection and Classification Method Using SURF Feature Points and Image Displacement in Infrared Image," Journal of KSCI, Vol. 19, No. 11, pp. 43-52, Nov 2014.
- Sang Jun Lee, Seok Hyun Yoo and Kwang-Baek Ki, "Noise Removal using Fuzzy Mask Filt", Journal of KSCI, Vol. 15, No. 11, pp. 41-45, Nov 2010.
- Yong-Whan Lee and Jnag-Chun Park, "A study on the subset averaged median methods for gaussian noise reduction", Journal of KSCI, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp.120-134, Jun 1999.
- C. Tomasi and R. Manduchi, "Bilateral filtering for gray and color images", Proc. Int. Conf. Computer Vision, pp. 839-846, Jan 1998.
- M. Elad, "On the origin of the bilateral filter and ways to improve it," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 1141-1151, October 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2002.801126
- Xu Long and Nam-HO Kim, "An Improved Adaptive Median Filter for Impulse Noise Removal", Journal of KIICE, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 989-995, April 2013.
- S. Paris, F. Durand, "A fast approximation of the bilateral filter using a signal processing approach", International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol. 81, No. 1, pp. 24-52, Jan 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11263-007-0110-8