- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Business Model of New Media Platform in K-Content Use
한국 방송 콘텐츠의 뉴미디어 플랫폼 비즈니스 모델
- Kim, Young-Hwan (Dept. of New media, Seoul Media Institute of Technology) ;
- Jung, Hoe-Kyung (Dept. of New media, Seoul Media Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2016.09.01
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
This study focused on the Korean-wave content consumed in the global market and analyzed success/failure factors of services through business model analysis. It aims to offer an effective new media content platform model. ViKi, Drama Fever, Maaduu.com which are representative global OTT were researched on management strategy by case analysis. The success of the global OTT platform is organized into three factors, target customer coverage, revenue model and community activation. Clear and wide coverage of target customer is important to determine the value of the service. Also, revenue model based on the pay service and community for Korean-wave fandom are essential to make good performance in new media platform business.
K-content;New Media Platform;OTT;ViKi.com;Drama Fever;Business Model
- E. Y. Park, D. G. Kwag, "The Study on the Market Competitiveness Reinforcement for Convergence Industry", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 99-106, 2015.
- C. J. Jeong, "A Study on the Advertising Creative Based on the Technology Convergence", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 235-241, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.235
- ATKearney, "Winning the OTT war: Strategies for Sustainable Growth." 2012. https://www.atkearney.com/communicationsmedia-technology/ideas-insights/article
- G. H. Bae, "Understanding OTT Service." CommunicationBooks, 2015.
- KOCCA, "Contents Industry Statistics 2015."
- Newsis, "Drama 'Pinocchio' export price to China... three billion per one episode." 2014.11.28
- Y. H. Kim, "Business Models for Global Platform: Netflix & Hulu," SMIT, unpublished paper, 2014.
- Netflix, https://www.netflix.com/
- Hulu, https://www.hulu.com/
- Y. K. Jung, "Analysis of Netflix and Hulu for Online Video Content Distributors' Business Model Comparison in N-Screen Era," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No.5, pp. 30-43. 2014.
- M. W. Johnson, C. M. Christensen & H. Kagermann, "Reinventing Your Business Model." Harvard Business Review 86, no.12, 2008.
- S. C. Kim, "New Media Ventures' Business Models and Performance in the Foreign Markets." Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 42-69. 2010.
- AllthingsD.com, "Exclusive: Japan's Rakuten Acquires Viki Video Site for $200 Million." 2013.9.1.
- Bloomberg, "SoftBank Agrees to Buy Korean Online Video Site Drama Fever." 2014.10.15.
- YonhapNews, "Warner Bros., take over Drama Fever, Korean drama site." 2016.2.24
- Maaduu, https://www.maaduu.com
- SyQic IR, "Aquisition of Maaduu Placing." 2014.,8.14
- Viki, Internal data, 2014.06.30