- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Convergence study on anti-caries effect of chlorhexidine and essential oils
클로르헥시딘과 에센셜 오일의 항우식 효과에 대한 융합 연구
- Lee, Su-Young (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University)
- 이수영 (남서울대학교 치위생학과)
- Received : 2016.08.30
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
The aim of this study was to evaluate the anti-caries effect of the essential oils and chlorhexidine mouth rinse. 42 subjects were randomized allocated to the chlorhexidine (n=22) and essential oils group (n=20). Subjects were instructed to rinsing each mouthwash by 15 ml once a day during the 7 days. The CRT and Cariview scores were recorded at baseline and 4 weeks after treatment. Data was analysed by using PASW 18.0 program with independent t-test and paired t-test. After 1 month, Cariview score was shown reducing compare to baseline. However, there were no significant differences between the groups. High risk level of MS and LB was decreased to 9~15% after treatment in two groups. Both of the chlorhexidine and essential oils mouth wash showed an antiplaque effect. Although chlorhexidine continues to be the "gold standard" in terms of antiplaque effect, essential oils could be considered a reliable alternative antimicrobial agent.
Supported by : 남서울대학교
- De la Rosa M, Zacarias Guerra J, Johnston DA, Radike AW, "Plaque growth and removal with daily toothbrushing." Journal of Periodontology, Vol. 50, No. 12, pp.661-664, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19220.127.116.111
- Creeth J.E, Gallagher A, Sowinski J, "The effect of brushing time and dentifrice on dental plaque removal in vivo" Journal of Dental Hygiene, Vol. 83, No. 3, pp.111-116, 2009.
- Van Leeuwen MP, Slot DE, Van der Weijden GA, "Essential oils compared to chlorhexidine with respect to plaque and parameters of gingival inflammation: a systematic review." Journal of Periodontology, Vol. 82, No. 2, pp.174-194, 2007.
- Stoeken JE, Paraskevas S, can der Weijden GA, "The long-term effect of a mouthhrinse containing essential oils on dental plaque and gingivitis: a systematic review." Journal of Periodontology, Vol. 78, No. 7, pp.1218-1228, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2007.060269
- Van Strydonck DA, Slot DE, Van der Velden U, Van der Weijden F, "Effect of a chlorhexidine mouthrinse on plaque, gingival inflammation and staining in gingivitis patients: a systematic review." Journal of Clinical Periodontology, Vol. 39, No. 11, pp.1042-1055, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2012.01883.x
- Gurgan CA, Zaim E, Bakirsoy I, Soykan E, "Short-term side effects of 0.2% alcohol-free chlorhexidine mouthrinse used as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a double-blind clinical study." Journal of Periodontology, Vol. 77, No. 3, pp. 370-384, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2006.050141
- Víctor Quintas, Isabel Prada-Lopez, Nikolaos Donos, David Suarez-Quintanilla, Inmaculada Tomas, "Antiplaque effect of essential oils and 0.2% chlorhexidine on an In situ model of oral biofilm growth: a randomised clinical trial." PLOS ONE, Vol. February, No. 17 ,pp.1-18, 2015.
- PG Sajjan, L Nagesh, M Sajjanar, SKK Reddy , UG Venktesh, "Comparative evaluation of chlorhexidine varnish and fluoride varnish on plaque streptococcus mutans count - an in vivo study." International Journal of Dental Hygiene, Vol. 11, pp. 191-197, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/idh.12028
- T. Klinke, M. Urban, C. Luck, C. Hannig, M. Kuhn, N. Kramer, "Changes in candida spp., mutans streptococci and lactobacilli following treatment of early childhood caries: A 1-year follow-up." Caries Res, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp.24-31, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1159/000351673
- Sophie domejean, joel m. white and john D.B. featherstone, "Validation of the CDA CAMBRA caries risk assessment - a six year retrospective study." CDA journal, Vol . 39, No. 10, pp. 709-715. 2011.
- H.K Kang, S.E Heo, "Convergence assessment of the relationship between oral health practice and dental caries risk among manufacturing workers -with the CRT(R) bacteria." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp.65-74. 2015.
- SH Cho, HS Lee, BC Choi, BI Kim, SO Kim, HG Choi, "Correlation between caries experience and new colorimetric caries activity test in children." Journal of the Korean Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, Vol. 42, No. pp. 130-137, 2015.
- So-Young Park, Su-Young Lee, "Antibacterial effects of chlorhexidine versus essential oil solutions: a randomized clinical trial." Internationaournal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 10, No. 79, pp.482-485, 2015.
- Si-Mook Kang, Hoi-In Jung, Seung-Hwa Jeong Ho-Keun Kwon Baek-Il Kim "Development of a new color scale for a caries activity test." Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp.9-17, 2010.
- Sanz M, Vallcorba N, Fabregues S, Muller I, Herkstroter F, "The effect of a dentifrice containing chlorhexidine and zinc on plaque, gingivitis, calculus and tooth staining." Journal of Clinical Periodontology, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 431-437, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1994.tb00741.x
- Pereira SL, Praxedes YC, Bastos TC, Alencar PN, da Costa FN, "Clinical effect of a gel containing lippia sidoides on plaque and gingivitis control." European Journal of Dentistry, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 28-33, 2013.
- Smith I, Muir KF, Worthington H, Davies GH, "The effect of three dentifrices and a dental gel on plaque formation: a six week clinical study." International Dental Journal, Vol. 44, No. 1(suppl 1), pp.71-74, 1994.
- Lorne Koroluk, Jay N. Hoover, Kunio Komiyama, "The sensitivity and specificity of a colorimetric microbiological caries activity test (Cariostat) in preschool children." Pediatric Dentistry, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp.276-281, 1994.
- Shin D.K, Kim J.Y, Song G.B, Nam SH, "Relationship between Dentocult-SM test, microbial analysis and dental caries in the pre-school children." Journal Korean Academic Pediatric Dentistry, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 254-261, 2003.
- Galvao LC, Furletti VF, Bersan SM, Cunha MG, Ruiz AL. Carvalho JE, Sartoratto A, Rehder VL, Figueira GM, Duarte MC, "Antimicrobial activity of essential oils against streptococcus mutans and their antiproliferative effects." Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Vol. 2012, pp.1-12, 2012.
- Alviano, WS, Mendonca-Filho RR, Alviano DS, Bizzo HR, Souto-Padron T, Rodrigues ML, Bolognese AM, Alviano CS, Souza MM, "Antimicrobial activity of croton cajucara Benth linalool-rich essential oil on artificial biofilms and planktonic microorganisms." Oral Microbiology. Immunology. Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.101-105, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-302X.2004.00201.x
- Lee KH, Kim BS, Keum KS, Yu HH, Kim YH, Chang BS, Ra JY, Moon HD, Seo BR, Choi NY, "Essential oil of curcuma longa inhibits streptococcus mutans biofilm formation." Journal of Food Science. Vol. 76, No. 9, pp.226-230, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02427.x