- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The relationships between emotional intelligence and college adjustment and nursing professionalism in nursing students
간호대학생의 감성지능과 대학생활적응 및 간호전문직관의 관계
- Lee, Kwang-Ok (Dept. of Nursing, Sangmyung University) ;
- Chae, Hyun-Ju (Dept. of Nursing, Joongbu University)
- Received : 2016.08.30
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
This study was conducted to evaluate the relationships between emotional intelligence and college adjustment and nursing professionalism in nursing college students. The study participants were 172 nursing students of a university in Chungnam province. Data were collected by a self-administered questionnaire from December 1 to 20, 2015. Collected data were analyzed using the IBM SPSS 20.0 program with descriptive statistics, Pearson's correlation coefficient, t-test, one-way ANOVA and Scheffe test. The level of the emotional intelligence, college adjustment, and nursing professionalism were not high, and the emotional intelligence of nursing students had positive correlation with college adjustment(r=.448, p<.001)and nursing professionalism(r=.376, p<.001). These results suggest that nursing interventions to improve the emotional intelligence of nursing students should be developed and applied for improvement of college adjustment and nursing professionalism.
Emotional Intelligence;College adjustment;Professionalism;Nursing;College student
- H. J. Jung, H. I. Chung, "Effects of self-esteem, emotional intelligence and social support on college adjustment in first year nursing college students", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 21, No.3, pp. 188-196, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.3.188
- E. I. Jeong, Y. H. Park, "Development and validation of the college adjustment scale", The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 69-92, 2009.
- H. S. Kim, J H. Lee, M. O. Yang, "A qualitative study in living as a university student", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, 2014.
- Y. K. Kwag, "Effect of self-esteem, ego-resilience, social support on nursing student's adjustment to college", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 2178-2186, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2178
- J. Por, L. Barriball, J. Fitzpatrick, J. Roberts, "Emotional intelligence: Its relationship to stress, coping, well-being and professional performance in nursing students", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 31, pp. 855-860, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.12.023
- H. O' Donnell, "The emotional impact of nursing student attrition rates", The British Journal of Nursing, Vol. 18, pp. 745-754, 2009.
- Y. S. Choi, "Factors influencing college life adjustment in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 423-432, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.423
- Y. J. Kim, "Type of coping with stress of nursing students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 29-39, 2014.
- H. S. Song, E. S. Na, Y. H. Jeon, K. I. Jung, "Factors influencing college life adaptation in nursing students", Journal of The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 72-81, 2016. https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2016.02.23.1.72
- E. J. Yeun, Y. M. Kwon, O. H. Ahn, "Development of a nursing professional value scale", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 1091-1100, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1091
- E. H. Kim, "Relationships of nursing professionalism, self-leadership and empowerment of nursing students", Journal of Korean Clinical health science, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 532-541, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2016.4.1.532
- M. H. Nam, Y. C. Kwon, "The relationship between better life index, nursing performance and intents to leave among hospital nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 417-427, 2012.
- K. Leduc, A. M. Kotzer, "Bridging the gap: A comparison of the professional nursing values of students, new graduates, and seasoned professionals", Nursing Education Research, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 279-284, 2009.
- Y. J. Ko, I. K. Kim, "The relationship between professional nursing values and career preparation behaviors of nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 62-71, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.062
- Y. S. Moon, S. J. Han, "Impact of self-efficacy and nursing professionalism on organizational commitment in nurse", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 72-79, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.072
- K. J. Kang, Y. S. Jeong, H. M. Seo, M. S. Park, M. Yu, Y. R. Chae et al., "Factors influencing professionalism in male and female student nurses", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 491-501, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.491
- H. J. Park, J. W. Oh, "The relationships of the clinical practice stress and the major satisfaction with the nursing professionalism of nursing college students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 417-426, 2014.
- K. M. Lim, E. J. Jo, "Influence of satisfaction with clinical practice and image of nurses on nursing professionalism of nursing students", Journal of Koran Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 556-566, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.556
- M. S. Ko, "Ego-resilience and emotional intelligence, stress coping strategies & nursing student's adjustment to college", Journal of The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 10, pp. 280-291, 2015.
- S. O. Choi, J. K. Park, S. H. kim, "Factors influencing the adaptation to the college life of nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 182-189, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.182
- H. J. Gu, O. S. Lee, "The correlation between nurse's image, biomedical ethics and professionalism in nursing students", Journal of Koran Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 11, pp. 7356-7366, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7356
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, "The Relationship between emotional intelligence and communication skill, clinical competence & clinical practice stress in nursing students", Journal of Koran Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 2749-2759, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- C. S. Wong, K. S. Law, "The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study", The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 13, pp. 243-274, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- P. Salovery, J. D. Mayer, "Emotional intelligence", Imagination, Cognition and Personality, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 185-211, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2190/DUGG-P24E-52WK-6CDG
- K. J. Ji, J. Y. Yu, " A study of emotional intelligence, interpersonal relationship and psychological happiness university student division of health", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 653-660, 2013.
- R. Fernandez, Y. Salamonson, R. Griffiths, "Emotional intelligence as a predictor of academic performance in first year accelerated graduate entry nursing students", Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 21, pp. 3485-3492, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04199.x
- C. Tayler, C. Farver, J. K. Stoller, "Perspective: Can emotional intelligence training serves as an alternative approach to teaching professionalism to resident?", Academic Medicine, Vol. 86, No. 2, pp. 1551-1554, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e318235aa76
- H. Y. Jung, "Effectiveness of emotional leadership and emotional intelligence of foodservice employees on organizational performance in contracted foodservice management company", Ph.D. dissertation, Yonsei University, 2006.
- S. S. Han, M. H. Kim, E. K. Yun, "Factors affecting nursing professionalism", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 73-79, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.1.073
- J. E. Song, H. J. Chae, "Differences in stress and stress coping strategies according to emotional intelligence in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 503-513, 2014.
- G. W. Lee, I. O. Moon, S. K. Park, "The relationship between social support, college adjustment and academic adjustment among nursing students", The Journal of Koran Society for School Health Education, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 15-27, 2013.
- S. Y. Yun, S. H. Min, "Influence of ego-resilience and spiritual well-being on college adjustment in major of nursing student", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 395-403, 2014.
- Y. J. Kim, Y. Y. Kim, S. M. Lee, "The relationships among self-esteem, satisfaction with major, career identity and university life adjustment of university students in the department of children's english education", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 39-47, 2015.
- E. J. Seo, N. H. Cha, "Relationships among nursing professional values, bioethics and death ethic perception in nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 349-358, 2016.
- D. Nelis, J. Quoidbach, M. Mikolajczak, M. Hansenne, "Increasing emotional intelligence: (How) is it possible?", Personality and Individual Difference, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 36-41, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2009.01.046
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, "Development and effects of emotional intelligence program for undergraduate nursing students: Mixed methods research", Korean Society of Nursing Science, Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 682-696, 2014.
- M. T. Jdaitawi, N. Ishak, M. N. Taamneh, M. Gharaibeh, N. M. Rababah, "The effectiveness of emotional intelligence training program on social and academic adjustment among first year university students", International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 2, No. 24, pp. 251-258, 2011.
- K. Foster, A. McCloughen, C. Delgado, C. Kefalas, E. Harkness, "Emotional intelligence education in pre-registration nursing programmes: An integrative review", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 35, pp. 510-517, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.11.009
- M. J. Kim, G. Y. Kang, "The convergence study on the relationship between the job stress and mental health of nurses", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 39-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.039