- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Preference of Instructional Methods and Kolb's Learning Styles of Nursing Students
간호대학생의 교수방법 선호도와 Kolb의 학습유형
- Woo, Chung Hee (College of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Park, Ju-young (College of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2016.08.19
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the Kolb's learning style and preference for instructional methods of undergraduate nursing students. Data were collected from 174 students at a university in D city using a structured questionnaire from October 19 to October 21 2015. Learning style ratio of nursing students was accommodator 34.5%, converger 33.9%, assimilator 16.1%, diverger 15.5% and preference scores for instructional methods were discussion 7.27, direct instruction 7.26, peer teaching 7.22, independent study 6.54, project 6.25, instruction through technology 5.77, game 5.45, simulation 4.23. A significant difference was found in experience of flipped learning between four learning styles groups of nursing students. However, there was no significant difference in the preference of instructional methods between the four learning styles groups. Most of the students were in the middle range of the learning styles. The assessment of nursing students' learning styles is expected to help educator to plan teaching strategies.
Learning styles;Instructional Methods;Nursing;Students;Convergence
- Wikipedia Home page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education, July 1, 2016.
- S. D. Lee, "The comparison of student preference of instructional methods according to Kolb's learning styles", Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 125-144, 2005.
- Abidin, A. Rezaee, H. Abdullah, and K. Singh, "Learning styles and overall academic achievement in a specific educational system", International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, Vol. 1, pp. 143-152, 2011.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education Home page, http://www.kabone.or.kr/, July 14, 2016.
- M. D. Pungente, K. M. Wasan, C. Moffett, "Using learning styles to evaluate first-year pharmacy student's preferences toward different activities associated with the problem-based learning approach", American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, Vol. 66, pp. 119-124, 2002.
- S. Graf, T. C. Liu, Kinshuk, NS. Chen., SJ. Yang, "Learning styles and cognitive traits: their relationship and its benefits in web-based educational systems", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 1280-128, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.06.005
- D. A. Kolb, Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1984.
- L. M. Al-Saud, "Learning style preferences of first-year dental students at king saud university in riyadh, saudi arabia: Influence of gender and gpa", Journal of Dental Education, Vol. 77, No. 10, pp. 1371-1378, 2013.
- M. N. Jun. "Deep approach to learning according to the Kolb-McCarthy's learning styles", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 279-292, 2004.
- G. H. Lee, S. J. Lee,. "A study on the relationship between learning styles of students and academic achievement in mathematics: Focusing on freshmen enrolled in a college of science and engineering of the medium-sized university", Communications of Mathematical Education, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 473-486, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7468/jksmee.2013.27.4.473 https://doi.org/10.7468/jksmee.2013.27.4.473
- I. K. Kim, J. A. Seong, "Learning style, time management behavior and self-directed learning of nursing student". Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 7, pp. 4621-4631, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4621 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4621
- I. S. Lee, C. S. Park, "Factors influencing confidence in performance competence of core basic nursing skills by nursing students", The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 297-307, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.297 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.297
- H. S. Park, G. Y. Cho, D. H. Kim1, S. H. Kim, M. S. Kim, "The mediating effect of drug calculation confidence in the relationship between interest in medication and drug calculation competency", Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 155-163, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.4.155 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.4.155
- S. Yang, E. Ha, O. Lee, I. Sim, Y. Park, H. Nam, J. Kim, "Academic achievement, self-directed learning, and critical thinking disposition according to learning styles of nursing students", The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 334-342, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.3.334 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.3.334
- G. J. An, "Learning styles and preferred learning methods of undergraduate nursing students", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 13-22, 2007.
- K. S. Sun, "Learning style and preference for instructional methods of undergraduate nursing students", Journal of College Education, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-12, 2012.
- J. S. Renzulli, M. G, Rizza, and L. H. Smith, Learning styles inventory-Version III: A measure of student preferences for instructional techniques. Creative Learning Press, INC., 2002.
- European Science Foundation, The professionalization of academics as teachers in higher education. Standing Committee for the Social Sciences, 2009.
- J. Y. Ha, "Learning style, learning attitude, and self-directed learning ability in nursing students", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 155-164, 2011.
- S. Y. Hong, "Clinical performance competency by nursing students' learning style." Master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, 2010.
- S. H. Kim, H. R. Roh, "The assessment of medical students' learning styles using the Kolb learning style inventory", Korean Journal of Medical Education, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 197-205, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2007.19.3.197
- J. Y. Kim, E. Y. Choi, "Participation and academic achievement by learning styles in problem based learning". The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 200-206, 2006.
- J. W. Lee, "Examining the effect of adult learners' learning styles on the preference of instructional methods and educational achievement: focusing on office workers in mid-sized firms." Master's thesis, Hanyang Cyber University, 2014.
- J. D. Kim, "Project method and metacognition formative process in elementary school." Master's thesis, Hanyang University, 1999.
- M. S. Kim, S. Y. Yun, "Factors influencing flow state of cooperative learning among nursing students: in convergence era." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 397-403, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.397 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.397
- M. S. Kim, S. Y. Yun, "The effects of self-directed learning ability and motivation on learning satisfaction of nursing students in convergence blended learning environment" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 11-19, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.11 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.11
- S. L. Stradley, B. D. Buckley, T. W. Kaminsky, M. Horodyski, D. Fleming, and C. M. Janelle, "A nationwide learning-style assessment of undergraduate athletic training students in CAAHEP-accredit athletic training programs", Journal of Athletic Training, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 114-146, 2002.