- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Parents' Neglect on Adolescents' School Adjustment: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Self- Identity and Life Satisfaction
부모방임이 청소년의 학교생활적응에 미치는 영향: 자아정체성과 삶의 만족도의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Song, Soon-Man (Graduate School of Social Welfare, Hansei Unversity) ;
- Paik, Jina (Department of Social Welfare, Hansei Unversity)
- Received : 2016.08.17
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
This study tries to investigate the influence of parents' neglect on adolescents' school adjustment, and to prove the mediating effects of self-identity and life satisfaction on the relationship between two variables. Data from 5th year(2014) Korean Children and Youth Panel Study(KCYPS) on 2035 nation-wide second year middle school students was analyzed by utilizing Regression analysis and path analysis. Results of the analysis showed first, parents' neglect had a negative effect on adolescents' self-identity, life satisfaction, and school adjustment. Second, adolescents' school adjustment improved with their self-identity and life satisfaction included as mediating effects. Third, the effect of parents' neglect on adolescents' school adjustment was partly mediated by the effects of subject's self-identity and life satisfaction. Furthermore, the need for program development to enhance adolescents' self-identity, life satisfaction and school adjustment was suggested.
Parents' Neglect;School Adjustment;Self-Identity;Life Satisfaction;Mediating Effect
- H. M. Lee, "The structural analysis of relationships among family healthiness, self efficacy, social support and school adjustment," Ph. D. Dissertation, Hansei University, 2013.
- O. S. Cho․J. Paik, "The effect of parent's neglect on adolescents' sexual-materials addiction in the times of convergence: focusing on the mediating effect of self-identity," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 349-356, 2014.
- R. E. Clifton․H. L. Yang, "The effects of exposure to neglect on school adjustment: focused on the moderating effects of youth activity," Social Science Institute. Vol. 39, No. 1, pp.1-27, 2015.
- K. H. Jeon․S. Song, "A process by which social capital inside and outside of a family affects children's adaptation to school life: the mediating effects of ego-resilience," Korean Journal of Family Welfare, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 143-165, 2013.
- J. U. Kim․J. H. Kim, "The relationship among parents' rearing attitude, covert narcissism, and school adjustment of high school students," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 1041-1054, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.11.1041
- K. A. Kendall-Tackett․J. Eckenrode, "The effects of neglect on academic achievement and disciplinary problem: a developmental perspective," Child Abuse and Neglect, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 161-169, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(95)00139-5
- M. Sihn․S. H. Jeon․M. S. Yoo, "Analysis of the structural relationship between social relationships, self esteem, life satisfaction, and school adjustment in early adolescents," Korea Association of Child Studies, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 81-92, 2010.
- J. Paik, "The effects of parenting attitudes on adolescents' fandom activities in the times of convergence: focusing on the mediating effects of psychological factors and life satisfaction," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 453-461, 2015.
- Y. K. Choi․S. M. Yoo, "Effects of parental environment, ego-resilience and school adaptation on life satisfaction of adolescents," Journal of Brain Education. Vol. 9, pp. 125-149, 2014.
- E. H. Lee․ S. Y. Jeong, "Ego identity as a mediator between parenting behaviors, peer relationships, and depression in adolescence: a structural equations analysis," Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 213-239, 2006.
- M. S. Lee, "A review on the social-psychological environment and prospects for positive development for youth at-risk in Korea," Asian Forum for Corrections, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 167-194, 2011.
- J. H. Go, "The effects of self-growth group counseling program on the improvement of ego-resiliency, self-esteem, and interpersonal relation of the university entrants, Ho Seo University Graduate School, Master's thesis, 2012.
- M. Y. Huh, "The Study for the development and validation of 'parenting behavior inventory' perceived by adolescent," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2000.
- S. W. Kim, "The effect of social support on abused children's adjustment," Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2003.
- B. S. Min, "The effect of academic achievement and self-concept school adjustment," Unpublished master's thesis, Hongik University, 1991.
- H. O. Song, "A structural analysis of the variables related to adolescents's ego-identity," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Keimyung University, 2008.
- S. Y. Kim․ J. Y. Lim․S. O. Kim․S. H. Park․S. R. Yu․J. Y. Choi․G. Y. Lee, "Youth Development Indicators Survey 1: Indicators measure the results of verification," Korea Institute for Youth Development, 2006
- M. R. Song․J. Y. Lee, "The relationship between emotion neglect and children's ego resilience and school-related adjustment," Soon Chun Hyang the General of Arts and Sciences, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 219-244, 2011.
- R. M. Baron․D. A. Kenny, "The moderatormediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations," Journal of personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182, 1986.
- E. J. Cho, "The effects of social support on school adjustment of the children who were abused by their parents," Family and Environment Research, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 17-26, 2013. https://doi.org/10.6115/khea.2013.51.1.017
- M. S. Oh, "A study on the effects of parenting attitudes on school adjustment in middle school students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 197-203, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.197
- C. O. Jang, "A study on convergence Family function and parameter validation fusion of youth protection factor", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 121-126, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.121
- H. J. Park․N. M. Hong․I. J. Chung, "Mediating Effects of Parent, Teacher and Peer Attachment in the Influence of neglect and Abuse on Adolescents' School Adjustment: Focusing on Gender Difference," Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 319-346, 2014.
- S. Y. Kweon, "Causal relations among perceived depression, self-esteem, and social support of adolescents," Journal of Secondary Education, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 93-118, 2008. https://doi.org/10.25152/ser.2008.56.2.93
- K. Y. Lee, "Ego-identity of school-aged children: effect of level of income and perceived parental behaviors," Family and Environment Research, Vol. 40, No. 10, pp. 67-76, 2002.
- A. Okun․J. C. Parker․A. A. Levendosky, "Distinct and interactive contributions of physical abuse, socioeconomic disadvantage, and negative life events to children's social, cognitive, and affective adjustment," Development and Psychopathology, Vol. 6, pp. 77-87, 1994.
- T. D. David․R. L. Owen, "Generalized self-efficacy, coping, and self-esteem as predictors of psychological adjustment among children with disabilities or chronic illnesses," Children's Health Care, Vol. 37, pp. 293-315, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/02739610802437509
- N. Yoon․N. Shin, "The effects of children's perception of parental expectations, self-esteem, and achievement motivation on school happiness," Korean Journal of Child Studies, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 157-176, 2014.
- J. Y. Song․ M. J. Park, "The influence of abuse from parents on adolescent in school life adaptation: focused on the mediating effect of self-esteem and Self-resilience," Youth Culture Publishes Forum, Vol. 43, pp. 58-84, 2015.