- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Transformational Leadership on Job Satisfaction : The Moderating Effect of Job Autonomy
변혁적 리더십이 직무만족에 미치는 영향 : 직무자율성의 조절효과
- Lee, Jung-Gil (Dept. of Business Administration, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Hee (Dept. of Business Administration, Kumoh National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2016.07.27
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
The purpose of this study is verifying the effect of transformational leadership on job satisfaction and to explore the moderating roles of job autonomy. This study developed hypotheses and tested them using hierarchical regression analyses. The data analysis was done by SAS Ver 9.1 and Smart PLS Ver 3.0. The test was conducted by employees working at large, small-medium company and public enterprise. The results indicate that the positive transformational leadership and job satisfaction were statistically supported. And this study found that job autonomy moderating roles in the relationship between transformational leadership and job satisfaction. Based on the findings of the study, this study presented managerial implications and suggestions for future studies.
Transformational Leadership;Job Satisfaction;Job Autonomy;Type of Leader;Job Characteristic
Supported by : 금오공과대학교
- Hyeon-Young Kim, and Myung-Seong Yim, "A Study on the Effect of Convergence Career Management Systems on Job Engagement and Career Commitment", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 23-31, 2016.
- Dvir, T., Eden, D., Avolio, B. J., and Shamir, B., "Impact of transformational leadership on follower development and performance: A field experiment", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 735-744, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069307
- Waldman, D. A., Ramirez, G. G., House, R. J., and Puranam, P., "Does leadership matter? CEO leadership attributes and profitability under conditions of perceived environment uncertainty", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 134-143, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069341
- Chen, Lien-Tung., "Exploring the Relationship among Transformational and Transactional Leadership Behavior, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover on the IT Department of Research and Development", Shanghai, China, Doctoral dissertation, Nova Southwestern University, 2005.
- Lowe, K. B. and Kroeck, K. G. "Effectiveness Correlates of Transformational and Transactional Leadership: A Meta-Analytic Review of the MLQ Literature", Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 7, pp 385-425, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(96)90027-2
- Ogbonna, E. and Harris, L., "Leadership Style, Organizational Culture and Performance: Empirical Evidence from UK Companies", The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 11, pp 766-788, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190050075114
- Hwa-Yong Lee and Young-Chul Chang, "A Study on the Influence of Transformational Leadership on Organizational Effectiveness-Based on the Moderator of Leader's Emotional Intelligence", Korean Academy of Organization and Management, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 215-247, 2004.
- Shin-kyu Kang, "The Relationship between Employees' Perceived Leadership Styles and Organization Commitment: Focused on Transformational and Transactional Leadership", Doctoral dissertation, Paichai University, 2001.
- Vitels, Vera M., "The Effect of Leadership Style on Group-Level Outcomes: A Test of a Mediated Model", Doctoral dissertation, Columbia University, 2000.
- Howell, J. M. and Avolio, B. J., "Transformational Leadership, Transactional Leadership, Locus of Control, and Support for Innovation: Key Predictors of Consolidated-Business-Unit Performance", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 78, No. 5, pp 891-902, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.6.891
- Keller, R. T., "Transformational Leadership and the Performance of Research and Development Project Groups", Journal of Management, Vol. 18, pp 489-501, 1992.
- Bass B. M., "Leadership and Performance Beyond Expectations", New York: Free Press, 1985.
- Bass, B. M. and Avolio, B. J., "MLQ Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire Redwood City: Mind Garden", 2000.
- Locke, E. A., "The nature and causes of job satisfaction, In M.D. Dunnett(Ed). Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology", Chicago:Rand McNally, 1976.
- Smith, C. A. Organ, D. W. and Near J. P., "Organizational Citizenship Behavior: Its Nature and Antecedents", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 68, No.4, pp. 653-663, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.68.4.653
- Schyns, B., and Schilling. J., "How bad are the effects of bad leaders? A meta-analysis of destructive leadership and its outcomes", The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 24, pp.138-158, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2012.09.001
- Bandura, A., and Wood, R. E., "Effect of perceived controllability and performance standards on self-regulation of complex decision-making", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 56, No. 5, pp.805-814, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.525
- Podsakoff, P, M., Mackenzie, S. B., Moorman, R. H., and Fetter, R., "Transformational leader behaviors and their effects on followers' trust in leader, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behaviors", Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 107-143, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(90)90009-7
- Braun, S., Peus, C., Weisweiler, S., and Frey, D., "Transformational Leadership, Job Satisfaction, and Team Performance: A Multilevel Mediation Model of Trust", Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 24, pp. 270-283, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2012.11.006
- Dong-Ung Ryu, and Jin-Kyo Shin, "The Effects of Transformational Leadership on the Subordinates' Job Satisfaction and Job Performance with the Moderating Effects of Subordinates' Personal Characteristics", Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 215-238, 2013.
- Eun-Sook Shin, "Job Satisfaction and Relating Factors of Medical Record Technicians Working in General Hospitals", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp337-346, 2016.
- Hackman, J. R and Oldham, G. R., "Work Redesign. Massachusetts Addison-Wesley", Publishing Company Inc, 1980.
- Hackman, J. R and Oldham, G. R., "Motivation through the design of work: Test of a theory", Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Vol. 16, pp. 250-279, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(76)90016-7
- Muchinsky, P. M., "Psychology Applied to Work (10 ed.). Summer field", NC: Hypergraphic Press, 2012.
- Spector, P. E., "Perceived Control by Employees: A Meta Analysis of Studies Concerning Autonomy and Participation at Work", Human Relations, Vol. 39. pp. 1005-1016, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678603901104
- Avolio, B. J., Zhu, W., Koh, W., and Bhatia, A. P., "Transformational leadership and organizational commitment: mediating role of psychological empowerment and moderating role of structural distance", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 25, pp. 951-968, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.283
- Bass, B. M., and Avolio, B. J., "Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire-Short form 6S. Binghamton", NY: Center for Leadership Studies, 1992.
- Mowday, R., Steers, R., and Porter, L., "The measurement of organizational commitment", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 14, pp. 224-247, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- Wetzels, M., Odekerken-Shchroder, G., and van Oppen, C., "Using PLS path modeling for assessing hierarchical coonstruct models: Guidelines and empirical ippustration", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 33 No. 10, pp.177-195, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650284
- Bagozzi, R. P. and Y, Yi., "On the Evaluation of Structural Equation Model", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 74-94, 1998.
- Fornell, C. and Larcker, D. F., "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Anderson, J. C. and Gerbing, D. W., "Structural equation modeling in practice: a review and recommended two-step approach", Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 103, No. 3, pp. 411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411