- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Information Efficiency of Financial Statement on the Firm Value
재무정보와 시장효율성에 관한 연구
- Jeong, Seonhye (Dept. of Business Administration, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Lee, Younghwan (Dept. of Business Administration, Kumoh National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2016.05.30
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
This study examines information efficiency of financial information on the firm value for the listed manufacturing companies in Korea stock market in terms of timing pattern of information. We set 3 different test periods based on the financial statement released years - the current year, 90 days before financial statement announcement and the next year. We introduce using the stepwise regression method to examine the effect of financial variables on the stock returns. The financial variables include profitability ratio, growth ratio, stability ratio, activity ratio and market valuation ratio. The results of the study showed that both growth and profitability ratio affected the current year stock returns, while stability and activity ratio affected the next year stock returns. Growth rate of total asset affects both current year and next year stock returns. Our findings imply that the period in which financial information is reflected in the firm value, could vary with the characteristics of financial information.
Financial Information;Firm Value;Information Efficiency;Information Effect;Convergence
Supported by : Kumoh national institute of technology
- S. I. Choi and S. B. Song, "A Study on The Effect Financial Performance of Convergence Factors on Corporate", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp.123-131, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.8.123
- Y. J. Kim, G. S. Jung, H. S. Lee, S. A. Kim, S. C. Jang and T. S. Kim, "A Study on the relationship between SCM and corporate value", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.91-99, 2013.
- C. H. Choi and Y. Y. You, "A Study on the Effects of Financial Structure on Management Performance in Small and Medium sized Enterprises for Financial Consulting", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.73-82 2012.
- S. I. Choi and D. I. Kim, "A Study on The Effect Business Performance of Leadership on Global Corporate", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp.191-199, 2014.
- Fama, E. F., "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work", The Journal of Finance, Vol.25, No. 2, pp.383-417, 1970.
- C. H. Choi and Y. Y. You, "A study on the Debt's Janus-Faced reality as a Way of Capital Finance", Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp.115-123, 2014.
- K. S. Choi and J. M. Choi, "The Effect of Firm's Str ategy in Investment Decision", Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp.177-187, 2014.
- H. G. Yoon, Y. H. Lee and K. S. Park, "Management Performance and Announcement Effect of Seasoned Equity Offering", Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.101-114, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.101
- Ball, R. and P. Brown, "An Empirical Evaluation of Accounting Income Numbers." Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp.159-178, 1968. https://doi.org/10.2307/2490232
- Beaver, W., R. Clarke and Wright, "The association between unsystematic security returns and the magnitude of earnings forecast error", Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp.316-340, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/2490507
- Beaver, W. and D. Morse, "What Determines Price-Earnings Ratios?", Financial Analysis Journal, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp.65-76, 1978.
- Mukherji, S., Dhatt, M. S. and Y. H. Kim, "A Fundamental Analysis of Korean Stock Returns", Financial Analysis Journal, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp.75-80, 1997.
- Nerlove, M., "Factors Affecting Differences among Rates of Return on Investment in Individual Common Stocks", Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp.312-331, 1968. https://doi.org/10.2307/1937926
- Martin, A., "An Empirical Test of the Relevance of Accounting Information for Investments Decision, Empirical Research in Accounting", Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 9, pp.1-31, 1971.
- Basu, S., "Investment Performance of Common Stocks in relation to their Price-Earnings Ratios: A Test of the Efficient Market Hypothesis", The Journal of Finance, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp.633-682, 1977.
- Sepe J., "The Impact of the FASB's 1974 GPL Proposal on the Security Price Structure", The Accounting Review, Vol. 57, No. 3, pp.467-485, 1982.
- J. H. Lee, "An Empirical Study of the Usefulness of Fundamental Variables depending on the Analyst Following", Korean Corporation management Review, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.167-188, 2007.
- Ou. J and S. H Penman, "Financial Statement Analysis and the Prediction of Stock Returns", Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.295-329, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(89)90017-7
- Lev, B., and S. R. Thiagarajan, "Fundamental Informantion Analysis", Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp.190-215, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/2491270
- Conner, G., "The Three Types of Factor Models: A Comparison of Their Explanatory Power", Financial Analysis Journal, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp.42-46, 1995.
- H. Y. Jeong, "The Prediction of Stock Returns Using Financial Information", Korean Accounting Review, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.31-56, 1991.
- B. H. Han, "An Empirical Study on the Usefulness of Earnings Information in Korea Capital Market", Korean Accounting Review, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp.1-24, 1998.
- S. P. Kim and Y. S. Yoon, "Fundamental Variables, Macroeconomic Factors, Risk Characteristics and Equity Returns", Journal of Korean Financial Management Association, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.179-213, 1999.
- K. Y. Kim and Y. B. Kim, "Testing the Predictability of Stock Return in the Korean Stock Market", Journal of Korean Industrial Economic Association, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp.1255- 1271, 2004.
- W. S. Baek, G. C. Lee and Y. H. Park, "A Study on the Relationship between Corporation Performance Measures and Return of Stock", Korean Accounting Review, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp.67-87, 2001.
- K. H. Yook and S. K. Kang, "The Relationship between Intrinsic Value Factors and Stock Return: Comparision of Relative Information Content", Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp.2029-2049, 2004.
- J. G. Kim, J. S. Seo and B. C. Kim, "The Value Relevance of Operating Income, Ordinary Income, Net Income and Comprehensive Income : Relative and Incremental Information Contents", Journal of Korean Association of Industrial Business Administration, pp.325-348, 2006.
- Brown, S. and J. Warner, "Using Daily Stock Returns: The Case of Event Studies", Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.3-31, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(85)90042-X
- H. C. Jeong, "A Study on the Event Study Methodology in Korean Stock Market", Journal of Korean Financial Management Association, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.273-312, 1997.
- Lakonishok, J., A. Shleifer, and R. Vishny, "Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk", The Journal of Finance, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp.1541-1578, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1994.tb04772.x
- Y. C. Song, "The Effects of Size and Book-to- Market Ratio on the Cross Sectional Returns", Korean Journal of Financial Studies, Vol. 24, pp.83-103, 1999.
- S. J. Kim and J. Y. Kim, "The Relationship Between Firm Size, Book to Market Value Ratio and the Stock Returns", Asian Review of Financial Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.21-47, 2000.
- P. D. Sohn, "Asset Growth and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns", Journal of Korean Association of Financial Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.45-70, 2012.
- Seunghee Koh, "Convergent Momentum Strategy in the Korean Stock Market", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp.127-132, 2015.
- Woo-Jin Son, "The Empirical Study on Interrelationship between Strategy, MCS, Corporate's Performance and Role of Controller", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp.303-314, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.303