- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Status of Academic Advising Systems in Korean Universities - Focusing on Dongguk University's Paramita College -
국내대학의 학사지도제도 현황에 관한 연구 - 동국대학교 파라미타칼리지를 중심으로 -
- Kim, Hyo-Jin (Paramita College, Dongguk University)
- 김효진 (동국대학교 파라미타칼리지)
- Received : 2016.08.26
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
Recently, university education is changing from content- centered to learner - centered education not to deliver knowledge unilaterally but to help student to cultivate their skills to discover and apply knowledge for themselves. It means that students' cognitive or emotional development is being emphasized. Also, because of universities' quantitative expansion, more strict evaluation on professors' research result, or conversion to a departmental system in a university organization, it has become a crucial issue for undergraduates to adapt to college life successfully. Along with this trend of university education, an academic advising system is becoming one of the most important areas in it as in not only provides students with necessary academic information but also helps them adapt to college life by developing their potentials and integrating their career and life plans. Therefore this study is going to examine the status of academic advising systems in US universities, investigate how Dongguk University's Paramita college operates its academic advising system, and find out way to establish academic advising system in Korean universities.
Learner-Centered Education;Adapt to College Life;Academic Advising;Academic Advising Systems;Academic Advising Organization
- Pascarella, E. T. & P. T. Terenzini, How College Affects Students: A Third Decade of Research. San Francisco: Jossy-Bass, 2005.
- Eun-kyung Kim, "Achievement and Future Directions of Specialized Academic Advising System to Korean Education", Korean Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 1-28, 2005.
- Mi-Kyung Jang & Sang-Hee Han, "The Relationships between Career related Variables and the Frequency of Academic Advising in Korea College Students", The Journal of Career Educational Research, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 59-71, 2002.
- Ji-Won Lee & Kyung-hee Kang, " Study about the Relationship between Self Esteem, Depression and Stress of Students according to School System", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5. No. 4, pp. 69-74, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2014.5.4.069
- Lowenstein, M., "An Alternative to the Developmental Theory of Advising, The Mentor", An Academic Advising Journal, Vol. 1, No. 4. 1999.
- Eun-Kyung Kim, "Effective Academic Advising Delivery System: Focusing on Soongsil University", Korean Journal of General Educations, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 243-265, 2012.
- Hwan-Goo Moon & Il-Moon, "Academic Advising Program Current Status of American and Korean College", Journal of Engineering Education Research, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 20-26. 2001.
- Chickering, A. W., Education and Identity. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 1983.
- Habley, W. R., "Organization Structures for Academic Advising: Models and Implications", Journal of College Student Personal, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 535-540, 1983.
- King, M. C. & T. M. Kerr, "Organizing and Delivering Academic Advising for First Year Students", In Upcraft, M.L. & Kramer, G. L.(Eds). First Year Academic Advising: USC press: CA, U.S.A: 1995.
- Rogers, D. L. & L. M. Babinski, "From Isolation to Conversation: Supporting New Teachers' Development", State University of New York Press, 2002.
- Eun-Jeong Kim, Jung-Mi Yang, Won-Kyung Lee & Hye-Kyung Hong, "Improvement of the First- Year Education Based on the Analysis of the First Year Experience Assessment", Korean Journal of General Education, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 63-78, 2008.
- In-Ho Jung & Byung-Chul Lim, "Students of Factors Affecting Career Decision Level and Career Preparation Behavior Centering on Students Studying Dental Technology Daegu Gyeongbuk Area", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 13-19, 2012.
- Eun-Kyoung Kwon, "Career Counseling of University Students before and after Differences in Career Maturity Verification", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp. 75-81, 2013.
- Sun-Young Yun & Shin-Hong Min, " Influence of Ego-Resilience and Spiritual Well-Being on College Adjustment in Major of Nursing Student", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 395-403, 2014.