- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effect of Visual Communication Utilizing Smartphones on Basic Mathematics Education at the Tertiary Level
대학기초수학 수업에서 스마트폰을 활용한 시각적 의사소통이 수학교육에 미치는 영향 연구
- Received : 2016.08.09
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
This study investigated the effect of visual mathematics education using smartphones and immediate feedback through SNS on students' understanding of basic mathematical concept and academic achievement at the tertiary level. Researchers analyzed the test results of 214 students' mid-term and final examination in 4 classes consisted of 16 weeks' classes with two hours per week. Also their 30 questionnaire survey results were analyzed. The result reveals that classes using smartphones promoted understanding mathematical concepts and induced students' motivation and affirmative reaction. This study implies that an appropriate use of technology will support dynamic visualization of mathematical modeling and its interpretation, which enables students' active participation and deeper understanding.
Smartphones;Tertiary education;Mathematics;Visual communication;Technology in education
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, "Principles and standards for school mathematics", Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2000.
- J. Kaput, "Technology and mathematics education", NCTM Yearbook on Mathematics Education, pp. 515-556, 1992.
- A. G. Duncan, "Teachers' views on dynamically linked multiple representations and representations and relational understanding of mathematics an investigation into the use of TI-Nspire in scottish secondary schools", School of Education Research Report, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK, 2010.
- M. O. J. Thomas, & Y. Y. Hong, "Teacher integration of technology into mathematics learning", International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 69-84, 2013.
- Ye-Yoon Hong, "Pre-service teachers' practical use of graphing calculators for STEAM education" The Journal of Educational Information and Media, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 355-372, 2014.
- OECD, "The definition and selection of key competencies: Executive summary", Paris, France: OECD, 2005.
- K. Lim, D. Y. Lee, "Research on pre-service teachers' perceptions of smartphones for educational use and suggestions for school policy", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 47-57, 2012.
- L. C. Shulman, "Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching", Educational Researcher, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 4-41, 1986.
- H. J. Jung, "A study on the Development of Teaching Materials based on the Cognitive Load Theory : Focused on the Creative Engineering Design Subject", M.A. dissertation, Dankook University, 2010.
- R. E. Mayer, "Seeking a science of instruction", Instructional Science, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 143-145, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11251-009-9113-x
- T. Kuhl, T., K. Scheiter, P. Gerjets, & S. Gemballa, S., "Can differences in learning strategies explain the benefits of learning from static and dynamic visualizations?" Computers & Education, Vol. 56, No. 1, 176-187. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2010.08.008
- R. Jeeheon, "The Effect of Contiguity Principle on the Cognitive Load Factors in Different Line Lengths and Types of Task", Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 401-425, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.27.2.401
- Ye-Yoon Hong, "Conceptual Understanding of The Link Between Linear Equations And Functions By Using Multi-Representation of Graphics Calculator", Korean Journal of Teacher Education, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 1-18, 2012.
- Ji-yeun Chang, "Convergence of Education and Information & Communication Technology : A Study on the Communication Characteristics of SNS Affecting Relationship Development between Professor and Student", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 213-219, 2015.
- Seung-Soo Shin, Jung-In Kim, Jeong-Jin Youn, "Vulnerability Analysis of the Creativity and Personality Education based on Digital Convergence Curation System", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 225-234, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.225
- Ye- Yoon Hong, Yeon-Wook Im, "An analysis of factors which affect teachers' self-confidence in using technology for mathematics class", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 11, pp. 565-577, 2012.
- J. E., Tuovinen, & J. Sweller, "A comparison of cognitive load associated with discovery learning and worked exampled", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 91, No. 2, pp. 334-341, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.1684