- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on Developing Communication Courses to Enhance Undergraduates' Core Competence
대학생의 핵심역량 강화를 위한 커뮤니케이션 교과목 개발에 관한 연구
- Kim, Hyo-Jin (Paramita College, Dongguk University)
- 김효진 (동국대학교 파라미타칼리지)
- Received : 2016.08.24
- Accepted : 2016.10.20
- Published : 2016.10.28
Along with the development of advanced technology as well as the trend of becoming information society where all different cultures become convergent, communication competence is becoming one of the most important. Therefore, universities are making efforts to open and operate a related curriculum regarding communication competence as the most needed core competence in cultivating competitive men of ability. Accordingly, this study is going to suggest courses and detailed contents for developing communication courses to enhance undergraduates' core competence. The contents of communication subjects include the course outline, objectives, manner of lecturing, evaluation, weekly learning topics, learning objectives, and learning contents, and so on. This study will lay the ground for cultivating undergraduates' communication skills effectively and improving their core competence further to lead their college life soundly based on the understanding of communication. Also, this study will form a field of cultivating competent persons who can create social value through systematic education on communication competence which is the most emphasized as core competence that the members of universities or societies should be equipped with.
Information Society;Communication;Communication Competence;Core Competence;Communication Course Development
- Castells, M., Flows, Networks, and Identities: A Critical Theory of the Information Society. In M. Castells, R. Flecha, P. Freire, H A. Giroux, D. Macedo, & P. Willis(Eds.), Critical Education in the New Information Age. Lanham : Rowman & Littelfield, 1999.
- Spencer, L. & S. Spencer, Competence at Work : Models for Superior Performance. New York : John Wiley & Sons, 1993.
- Secretary's Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills(SCANS), What Work Requires of School : A SCANS Report for America 2000. US Department of Labor, Washington, DC, 1991.
- Wook-Hee Jang & Sang-Ho Lee, "The Relationship between University Students' Competencies and Employment Outcomes", The Journal of Human Management Research, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 31-59, 2009.
- Johnstone, B. & A. Watson, "Participation, Reflection and Integration for Business and Lifelong", Journal of Workplace Learning, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 53-59, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/13665620410521512
- Rogers, E. & D. Kincaid, Communication Network: Toward a New Paradigm for Research. NY: Free Press, 1981.
- Shin-Il Han, Young-Sin Kwon & Jung-Heun Joo, "Comparative Analysis of General Education of America's Top 10 National Universities 2002", Korean Journal of Comparative Education, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 91-119, 2003.
- Fassett, D. L. & J. T. Warren, The Sage Handbook of Communication and Instruction(Ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Sage. 2010.
- Friedrich, G. W., "A View from the Office of the SCA President", Communication Education, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 297-302, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1080/03634528909378767
- Mckay, M., M. Davis & P. Fanning, Massages: The Communication Skills Book. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger, 1995.
- McCroskey, J. C., Personality and Interpersonal Communication. Newbury Park, CA: SAGE, 1987.
- Norton, R. W. "Foundation of a Communication Style Construct", Human Communication Research, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 99-112, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.1978.tb00600.x
- Bolton, T. & T. Hyland, "Implementing Key Skills in Further Education: Perception and Issues", Journal of Further and Higher Education, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 15-26, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/03098770305630
- Boyatzis, R., The Competent Manager: A Model for Effective Performance. New York: Wiley-Interscience, 1982.
- Jae-Ho Park, "A Study on Core Competency of Leaders in Venture Business-Focusing on Core Competency and Executive Coaching", The Journal of Young Nam Region Development Research, No. 32, No. 0, pp. 23-50, 2003.
- Kwang-Min Kim, "The Attractiveness and Limit of 'Competency based' Education", The Journal of Moral Education, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 171-197, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17715/jme.2009.02.20.2.171
- Min-Jeong Park, "A New Approach to Curriculum Development in Higher Education: Competence - based Curriculum", The Journal of Education Process Research, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 173-197. 2008.
- Seong-Ik Park, Sang-Eun Lee & Ji-Eun Song, " Major Factors Influencing Effective On/Offline Learning on the Blended Learning in Higher Education", The Journal of Yeolin Education, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 17-45, 2007.
- Jeong-Man Lee, Introduction Education, Hac Ji Sa, 2016.
- Seok-Beom Yoon & Eun-Young Jang, "A Development of Creative Capstone Design Education", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 15-20, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2014.5.4.015
- Young-Ae Jung, "A Study on the Education Model for Information Literacy Improvement of Multi- Cultural Family Children", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 15-22, 2011.