- Volume 36 Issue 6
The effects of black rice powder on the quality of sausage were investigated. Samples were prepared with 0% (control), 1%, 3%, and 5% black rice powder. With increasing black rice powder content, the moisture and ash content of sausage increased, while protein con-tent was significantly less than that observed for the control (p<0.05). The fat content in samples containing 5% black rice powder was significantly less than that observed for other samples (p<0.05). With increasing black rice powder content, the pH of uncooked and cooked samples increased. In addition, lightness, redness, and yellowness decreased. With increasing content of black rice powder, emulsion stability decreased. On the other hand, with increasing black rice powder content, cooking yield increased. As compared to the other samples, those containing high content of black rice powder exhibited higher viscosity. With increasing black rice powder content, the hardness of samples decreased, while the gumminess and chewiness of samples containing black rice powder were less than those observed for the control (p<0.05). Moreover, with increasing black rice powder content, the flavor, juiciness, and overall acceptability of samples increased. In addition, the tenderness of samples containing 3% and 5% black rice powder was significantly greater than that observed for the control and sample containing 1% black rice powder (p<0.05). In addition to the economic benefits, black rice powder can be used to improve quality characteristics.
black rice;quality characteristics;sausage;meat product
- Alamanou, S., Bloukas, J. G., Paneras, E. D., and Doxastakis, G. (1996) Influence of protein isolate from lupin seeds (Lupinus albus ssp. Graecus) on processing and quality characteristics of frankfurters. Meat Sci. 42, 79-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)00013-5
- AOAC. (2000) Official methods of analysis of AOAC international (17th ed.) Maryalnd, USA: Association of Official Analytical Chemistry.
- Choi, H. C. and Oh, S. K. (1996) Diversity and function of pigments in colored rice. Korean J. Crop Sci. 41, 1-9.
- Fardet, A., Rock. E., and Remesy, C. (2008) Is the in vitro antioxidant potential of whole-grain cereals and cereal products well reflected in vivo?. J. Cereal Sci. 48, 258-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2008.01.002
- Gnanasambandam, R. and Zayas, J. F. (1992) Functionality of wheat germ protein in comminuted meat products as compared with corn germ and soy proteins. J. Food Sci. 57, 820-833.
- Grunert, K. G. (2006) Future trends and consumer lifestyles with regard to meat consumption. Meat Sci. 74, 149-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.016
- Ha, T. Y., Park, S. H., Lee, C. H., and Lee, S. H. (1999) Chemical composition of pigmented rice varieties. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 31, 336-341.
- Han, M. Y. and Ahn, M. S. (1998) A study on the purchase action of processed foods and the recognition for food additives of urban housewives. Korean J. Dietary Culture 13, 119-126.
- Hwang, Y. K. and Kim, T. Y. (2000) Characteristics of colored rice bread using the extruded Heugjinju rice. Korean J. Soc. Food Sci. 16, 167-172.
- Issanchou, S. (1996) Consumer expectations and perceptions of meat and meat product quality. Meat Sci. 43, S5-S19. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(96)00051-4
- Jang, S. M., Lim, J. S., and Cho, E. J. (2004) The effect of various cereal flours on quality and storage characteristics of sausage. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 14, 265-274.
- Keeton, J. T. (1983) Effect of fat and NaCl/phosphate levels on the chemical and sensory properties of pork patties. J. Food Sci. 48, 878-881. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb14921.x
- Kim, H. C. and Kim, M. R. (2005) Consumer attitudes towards food additives. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 15, 126-135.
- Kim, H. Y., Lee, E. S., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Choi, Y. S., Han, D. J., Lee, M. A., Kim, S. Y., and Kim, C. J. (2010) Effect of bamboo salt on the physicochemical properties of meat emulsion systems. Meat Sci. 86, 960-965. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.08.001
- Lee, Y. C., Song, D. S., and Yoon, S. K. (2003) Effects of ISP adding methods and freezing rate on quality of pork patties and cutlets. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 35, 182-187.
- Minerich, P. L., Addis, P. B., Epley, R. J., and Bingham C. (1991) Properties of wild rice/ground beef mixtures. J. Food Sci. 56, 1154-1157. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb04722.x
- Moon, B. K., Kim, E. A., Park, M. S., Lee, D. K., Lee, M. S., and Choi, B. R. (2007) Quality characteristics of cookies with black rice powder. J. Hum. Ecol. 26, 21-28.
- Park, S. Y., Kim, G. W., and Kim, H. Y. (2016) Study on physicochemical properties of emulsion-type sausage added pork skin gelatin. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 45, 209-214. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.2.209
- Rhodes, V. J., Kiechi, F. R., and Brady, D. E. (1955) Visual references for grades of retail beef cuts. College of agriculture. Res. Bull. 583.
- Rivero De Padua, M. (1983) Some functional and utilization characteristics of sesame flour and proteins. J. Food Sci. 48, 1145-1147. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb09178.x
- Serdaroglu, M. and Degirmencioglu, O. (2004) Effects of fat level (5%, 10%, 20%) and corn flour (0%, 2%, 4%) on some properties of Turkish type meatballs (koefte). Meat Sci. 68, 291-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.03.010
- Serdaroglu, M., Yildiz-Turp, G., and Abrodimar, K. (2005) Quality of low-fat meatballs containing legume flours as extenders. Meat Sci. 70, 99-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.12.015
- Verma, M. M., Kedward, D. A., and Lawrie, R. A. (1984) Utilization of chickpea flour in sausages. Meat Sci. 11, 109-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(84)90009-3
- Yoon, M. H., Chang, K. M., and Choe, I. S. (2001) Consumption pattern of meat products in Korea. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 21, 18-23.