- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Single-Dose Intramuscular Toxicity of Mahwangcheonoh Pharmacopuncture in a Rat Model - Toxicity of Mahwangcheonoh Pharmacopuncture in SD Rats -
- Sung, Heejin ;
- Lee, Eunyong
- Received : 2016.08.25
- Accepted : 2016.10.04
- Published : 2016.12.31
Objectives: This study was conducted to analyze the single-dose toxicity and the safety of Mahwangcheonoh pharmacopuncture extracts. Methods: Six-week-old Sprague-Dawley rats were used for this study. Doses of Mahwangcheonoh pharmacopuncture extracts were set at 0.25 mL (low-dose), 0.5 mL (medium-dose) and 1.0 mL (high-dose) for the test groups. A dose of 1.0 mL of normal saline solution was set for the control group. During 14 days, general symptoms, mortalities, and changes in hematology, blood biochemistry and histopathology of all rats were observed. Results: No death was observed in all test groups. Any abnormal symptom was not observed in all of the groups. No significant changes in weight between the control group and the test groups were observed. In addition, no significant differences in the hematology signs, the blood biochemistry levels and the histopathological signs related to the Mahwangcheonoh pharmacopuncture extracts injection were observed. Conclusion: The findings of this study indicate that Mahwangcheonoh pharmacopuncture at doses of 1.0 mL or less may be consider safe and non-toxic. So, it can be used for therapy of obesity sufficiently. But further studies on this subject must be performed to confirm and verify this conclusion.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. [Pharmacopunc-turology]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2008. p. 1-5. Ko-rean.
- Kim MW, Song YK, Lim HH. [Study of experimentations and clinical trials' trends for obesity treatment using pharmacupuncture]. J Korean Med Obes Res. 2011;11(1):47-60. Korean.
- Kang JH, Heo DS, Yoon IJ, Oh MS. [An analysis of tendencies of studies on herbal acupuncture -focusing on domestic theses since 2001 about anti-inflammation, fain relief and anti-obesity effects, including safety-. Korean J Acupunct. 2007;28(2):93-113. Korean.
- Kang KH. [Effect of Mahuang-Chuanwu (mahwang-cheonoh) pharmacopuncture solution on adipocyte differentiation and gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipo-cytes. Korean J Acupunct. 2014;31(4):168-78. Korean. https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2014.025
- Herbology Editorial Committee of Korean Medicine schools. [Boncho-hak]. Seoul: Young-Lim Press; 2008. p. 152-3. Korean.
- Yeo JJ, Hsing LC, Yang CS, Jeong SI, Seo ES, Jang IS. [Ef-fects of Mahwang for weight loss in healthy adults : a double-blind, controlled, randomized, clinical trial]. J Korean Med. 2007;28(1):63-71. Korean.
- Song MY, Kim HJ, Lee ML. [The safety guidelines for use of Ma-huang in obesity treatment]. J Korean Med Obes Res. 2006;6(2):17-27. Korean.
- Song YK, Lim HH. [Clinical application of Ma Huang in the obesity treatment]. J Korean Med Obes Res. 2007;7(1):1-7. Korean.
- Kim JH, Shin MS, Choi SW, Song BY, Yook TH. [The effect of Mahuang(Ephedra sinica stapf )-Chuanwu(Aco-nitum carmichaeli debx) pharmacopuncture treatment in obese patients]. The acupuncture. 2009;26(5):77-83.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. [2014 national health statistics]. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2015. p. 50. Korean.
- Park BY, Song YK, Lim HH. [An analysis of domestic oriental medicine study tendency on obesity – focused on domestic academic journal since 2006-]. J Korean Med Obes Res. 2010;10(2):1-16. Korean.
- Youn DH, Kang JD, Joo JS, Chae WS, Na CS. [Effects of herbal acupuncture (Atratylodes japonica, Coix lach-rymajobi, Ephedra sinica, Atratylodes japonica mixed with Coix lachrymajobi and Ephedra sinica mixed with Green tea) at Pungnyung(ST40) and Umnung-chon(SP9) in obese rats induced by high fat diet]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2004;7(1):87-100. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2004.7.1.087
- Choi MS, Kim CH, Kho HK. [Studies on the safety assessment of Astragali radix extract solution for herb-acupuncture]. The acupuncture. 1995;12(1):179-87. Korean.
- Kim MW, Lim HH, Song YK. [Anti-obesity effect of wild ginseng complex pharmacopuncture on adipocyte and high fat diet-induced obese C57BL/6J mice]. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2012;22(2):67-90.
- Baek SH, Lee IH, Kim MJ, Kim EJ, Ha IH, Lee JH, et al. [Component analysis and toxicity study of combined cultivated wild ginseng pharmacopuncture]. J Int Kore-an Med. 2015;36(2):189-99. Korean.
Supported by : Semyung University