- Volume 45 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Changes in Lignan Content and Antioxidant Activity of Fermented Sesame (Sesame indicum L.) by Cultivars
생물전환에 의한 품종별 참깨 발효물의 Lignan 함량과 항산화 활성 변화
- Jung, Tae-Dong (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Shin, Gi-Hae (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Jae-Min (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Oh, Ji-Won (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Choi, Sun-Il (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Jin-Ha (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Cho, Myoung-Lae (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Sang Jong (STR Biotech Co., LTD.) ;
- Heo, In Young (STR Biotech Co., LTD.) ;
- Park, Seon Ju (STR Biotech Co., LTD.) ;
- Kim, Sung-Up (Department of Southern Area Crop Science, NICS, RDA) ;
- Jung, Chan-Sik (Department of Southern Area Crop Science, NICS, RDA) ;
- Lee, Ok-Hwan (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University)
- 정태동 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 신기해 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 김재민 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 오지원 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 최선일 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 이진하 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 조명래 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과) ;
- 이상종 ((주)에스티알바이오텍) ;
- 허인영 ((주)에스티알바이오텍) ;
- 박선주 ((주)에스티알바이오텍) ;
- 김성업 (국립식량과학원 남부작물부) ;
- 정찬식 (국립식량과학원 남부작물부) ;
- 이옥환 (강원대학교 식품생명공학과)
- Received : 2015.09.17
- Accepted : 2015.10.12
- Published : 2016.01.31
This study investigated the lignan content, total phenol content, and antioxidant activities [2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical scavenging and oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC)] of fermented sesame by cultivars. The results showed that the lignan contents of fermented and non-fermented sesame ranged from 2.35~6.58 mg/g and 2.17 to 6.58 mg/g, respectively. The highest total phenol contents of fermented and non-fermented sesame were 51.90 mg gallic acid equivalent (GAE)/g and 25.94 mg GAE/g, respectively. DPPH radical scavenging and ORAC value ranged from 37.95 to 82.57% and from 172.34 to
Supported by : 농림축산식품부
- Makinde FM, Akinoso R. 2014. Comparison between the nutritional quality of flour obtained from raw, roasted and fermented sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) seed grown in Nigeria. Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment 13: 309-319. https://doi.org/10.17306/J.AFS.2014.3.9
- Suja KP, Jayalekshmy A, Arumughan C. 2005. Antioxidant activity of sesame cake extract. Food Chem 91: 213-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2003.09.001
- Kim SU, Oh KW, Lee MH, Lee BK, Pae SB, Hwang CD, Kim MS, Baek IY, Lee JD. 2014. Variation of lignan content for sesame seed across origin and growing environments. Korean J Crop Sci 59: 151-161. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2014.59.2.151
- Kang MH, Oh MK, Bang JK, Kim DH, Kang CH, Lee BH. 2000. Varietal difference of lignan contents and fatty acids composition in Korean sesame cultivars. Korean J Crop Sci 45: 203-206.
- Kamal Eldin A, Appelqvist LA. 1994. Variation in fatty acid composition of the different acyl lipids in seed oils from four Sesamum species. J Am Chem Soc 71: 135-139.
- Kikugawa K, Arai M, Kurechi T. 1983. Participation of sesamol in stability of sesame oil. J Am Chem Soc 60: 1528-1533.
- Esmaeilzadeh Kenari R, Mohsenzadeh F, Amiri ZR1. 2014. Antioxidant activity and total phenolic compounds of Dezful sesame cake extracts obtained by classical and ultrasoundassisted extraction methods. Food Sci Nutr 2: 426-435. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.118
- Lee HJ, Son DJ, Kang MH, Lee BC, Hong JT. 2006. Effect of lignan compound of sesame on LPS-induced nitric oxide generation in murine macrophage RAW 264.7 cells. J Soc Cosmet Scientists Korea 32: 173-180
- Srisayam M, Weerapreeyakul N, Barusrux S, Kanokmedhakul K. 2014. Antioxidant, antimelanogenic, and skin-protective effect of sesamol. J Cosmet Sci 65: 69-79.
- Hou RC, Huang HM, Tzen JT, Jeng KC. 2003. Protective effects of sesamin and sesamolin on hypoxic neuronal and PC12 cells. J Neurosci Res 74: 123-133. https://doi.org/10.1002/jnr.10749
- Prasad NR, Menon VP, Vasudev V, Pugalendi KV. 2005. Radioprotective effect of sesamol on gamma-radiation induced DNA damage, lipid peroxidation and antioxidants levels in cultured human lymphocytes. Toxicology 209: 225-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2004.12.009
- Hsu DZ, Chen KT, Li YH, Chuang YC, Liu MY. 2006. Sesamol delays mortality and attenuates hepatic injury after cecal ligation and puncture in rats: role of oxidative stress. Shock 25: 528-532. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.shk.0000209552.95839.43
- Droge W. 2002. Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function. Physiol Rev 82: 47-95. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00018.2001
- Bokov A, Chaudhuri A, Richardson A. 2004. The role of oxidative damage and stress in aging. Mech Ageing Dev 125: 811-826. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mad.2004.07.009
- Kahkonen MP, Hopia AI, Heinonen M. 2001. Berry phenolics and their antioxidant activity. J Agric Food Chem 49: 4076-4082. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010152t
- Cho YH, Cho JS, Lee GW. 2011. Antioxidant activity of wood vinegar by bioconversion. JKAIS 12: 4434-4442.
- Kim EJ, Moon JS, Choe TB. 2013. Inhibition of tyrosinase by bio-conversion Morus alba extract. Kor J Aesthet Cosmetol 11: 845-854.
- Na EJ, Moon JS. 2015. Studies on the biological activities of the bioconversioned soybean extracts. J Kor Soc Cosm 21: 82-92.
- KFDA. 2014. Korea Food Additives Code. Korea Food and Drug Administration, Seoul, Korea. p 1238-1239.
- Kaur C, Kapoor HC. 2002. Anti-oxidant activity and total phenolic content of some Asian vegetables. Int J Food Sci Technol 37: 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2621.2002.00552.x
- Mensor LL, Menezes FS, Leitao GG, Reis AS, dos Santos TC, Coube CS, Leitao SG. 2001. Screening of Brazilian plant extracts for antioxidant activity by the use of DPPH free radical method. Phytother Res 15: 127-130. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.687
- Huang D, Ou B, Hampsch-Woodill M, Flanagan JA, Prior RL. 2002. High-throughput assay of oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) using a multichannel liquid handling system coupled with a microplate fluorescence reader in 96-well format. J Agric Food Chem 50: 4437-4444. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0201529
- Fukuda Y, Nagata M, Osawa T, Namiki M. 1986. Chemical aspects of the antioxidative activity of roasted sesame seed oil, and the effect of using the oil for frying. Agric Biol Chem 50: 857-862.
- Kim BK, Lim JH, Cho YS, Park KJ, Kim JC, Jeong JW, Jeong SW. 2008. Study on characteristics of cold-pressed sesame oil and virgin sesame oil. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 18: 812-821.
- Zainol MK, Abd-Hamid A, Yusof S, Muse R. 2003. Antioxidative activity and total phenolic compounds of leaf, root and petiole of four accessions of Centella asiatica (L.) Urban. Food Chem 81: 575-581. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00498-3
- Shahidi F, Liyana-Pathirana CM, Wall DS. 2006. Antioxidant activity of white and black sesame seeds and their hull fractions. Food Chem 99: 478-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.08.009
- Lee JY, Kim BK, Park HJ. 2013. Antioxidant activities and quality characteristics of fermented Codonopsis lanceolata tea according to heating processes. Korean J Food & Nutr 26: 693-699. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.4.693
- Foti MC, Daquino C, Geraci C. 2004. Electron-transfer reaction of cinnamic acids and their methyl esters with the DPPH. radical in alcoholic solutions. J Org Chem 69: 2309-2314. https://doi.org/10.1021/jo035758q
- Villano D, Fernandez-Pachon MS, Moya ML, Troncoso AM, Garcia-Parrilla MC. 2007. Radical scavenging ability of polyphenolic compounds towards DPPH free radical. Talanta 71: 230-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2006.03.050
- Huang D, Ou B, Prior RL. 2005. The chemistry behind antioxidant capacity assays. J Agric Food Chem 53: 1841-1856. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf030723c
- Kim SH, Kim YM. 2007. Determination of the antioxidant capacity of Korean ginseng using an ORAC assay. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 17: 393-401.
- Kang YH, Park YK, Lee GD. 1996. The nitrite scavenging and electron donating ability of phenolic compounds. Korean J Food Sci Tehcnol 28: 232-239.
- Analysis of Pectolinarin Content and Antioxidant activity in Cirsium setidens Nakai by Cultivars vol.31, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2016.31.3.210
- Bioconverted Orostachys japonicas Extracts Suppress Angiogenic Activity of Ms-1 Endothelial Cells vol.18, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18122615
- Changes in the Anti-Allergic Activities of Sesame by Bioconversion vol.10, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10020210