- Volume 16 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
DPPA2 Protein Expression is Associated with Gastric Cancer Metastasis
- Shabestarian, Hoda (Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad) ;
- Ghodsi, Mohammad (Cancer Molecular Pathology Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mallak, Afsaneh Javdani (Division of Human Genetics, Immunology Research Center, Avicenna Research Institute, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Jafarian, Amir Hossein (Department of Pathology, Ghaem Hospital, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Montazer, Mehdi (Department of pathology, Emam-Khomeini Hospital, Ilam University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Forghanifard, Mohammad Mahdi (Department of Biology, Damghan Branch, Islamic Azad University)
- Published : 2016.01.11
Gastric cancer (GC) as the fourth most common cause of malignancies shows high rate of morbidity appropriating the second leading cause of cancer-related death worldwide. Developmental pluripotency associated-2 (DPPA2), cancer-testis antigen (CT100), is commonly expressed only in the human germ line and pluripotent embryonic cells but it is also present in a significant subset of malignant tumors. To investigate whether or not DPPA2 expression is recalled in GC, our aim in this study was to elucidate DPPA2 protein expression in gastric cancer. Fifty five GC tumor and their related margin normal tissues were recruited to evaluate DPPA2 protein expression and its probable associations with different clinicopathological features of the patients. DPPA2 was overexpressed in GC cases compared with normal tissues (P < .005). While DPPA2 expression was detected in all GC samples, its high expression was found in 23 of 55 tumor tissues (41.8%). Interestingly, 50 of 55 normal samples (90.9%) were negative for DPPA2 protein expression and remained 5 samples showed very low expression of DPPA2. DPPA2 protein expression in GC was significantly correlated with lymph node metastasis (p = 0.012). The clinical relevance of DPPA2 in GC illustrated that high level expression of this protein was associated with lymph node metastasis supporting this hypothesis that alteration in DPPA2 was associated with aggressiveness of gastric cancer and may be an early event in progression of the disease. DPPA2 may be introduced as a new marker for invasive and metastatic GCs.
- Aravind L, Koonin EV (2000). SAP-a putative DNA-binding motif involved in chromosomal organization. Trends Biochem Sci, 25, 112-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0004(99)01537-6
- Cho J, Lim J, Cheong J, et al (2011). Gene expression signaturebased prognostic risk score in gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 17, 1850-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-2180
- Du J, Chen T, Zou X, et al (2010). Dppa2 knockdown-induced differentiation and repressed proliferation of mouse embryonic stem cells. J Biochem, 147, 265-71. https://doi.org/10.1093/jb/mvp161
- Ferlay J, Parkin DM, Steliarova-Foucher E (2010). Estimates of cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2008. Eur J Cancer, 46, 765-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.12.014
- Forghanifard MM, Ardalan Khales S, Javdani-Mallak A, et al (2014). Stemness state regulators SALL4 and SOX2 are involved in progression and invasiveness of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Med Oncol, 31, 922. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0922-7
- Gagliardi A, Mullin NP, Ying Tan Z, et al (2013). A direct physical interaction between NANOG and SOX2 regulates embryonic stem cell self-renewal. EMBO J, 32, 2231-47. https://doi.org/10.1038/emboj.2013.161
- Ghodsi M, Jafarian AH, Montazer M, et al (2015). Diagnostic clinical relevance of developmental pluripotency-associated 2 (DPPA2) in colorectal cancer. Int J Surg.
- Huang ZJ, Wang R, Luo WY, et al (2012). Expression of OCT4 in gastric cancer cell lines and its significance. Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban, 43, 812-5.
- Akhavan-Niaki H, Samadani AA (2014). Molecular insight in gastric cancer induction: an overview of cancer stemness genes. Cell Biochem Biophys, 68, 463-73. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12013-013-9749-7
- Amini S, Fathi F, Mobalegi J, et al (2014). The expressions of stem cell markers: Oct4, NANOG, SOX2, nucleostemin, Bmi, Zfx, Tcl1, Tbx3, Dppa4, and Esrrb in bladder, colon, and prostate cancer, and certain cancer cell lines. Anat Cell Biol, 47, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.5115/acb.2014.47.1.1
- Hudler P (2012). Genetic aspects of gastric cancer instability. Scientific World J, 2012, 761909.
- Hutz K, Mejias-Luque R, Farsakova K, et al (2014). The stem cell factor SOX2 regulates the tumorigenic potential in human gastric cancer cells. Carcinogenesis, 35, 942-50. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgt410
- Ivanova N, Dobrin R, Lu R, et al (2006). Dissecting self-renewal in stem cells with RNA interference. Nature, 442, 533-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature04915
- Ji W, Jiang Z (2013). Effect of shRNA-mediated inhibition of NANOG gene expression on the behavior of human gastric cancer cells. Oncol Lett, 6, 367-74. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2013.1394
- John T, Caballero OL, Svobodova SJ, et al (2008). ECSA/DPPA2 is an embryo-cancer antigen that is coexpressed with cancertestis antigens in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 3291-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1322
- Kong D, Su G, Zha L, et al (2014). Coexpression of HMGA2 and Oct4 predicts an unfavorable prognosis in human gastric cancer. Med Oncol, 31, 130. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0130-5
- Maldonado-Saldivia J, van den Bergen J, Krouskos M, et al (2007). Dppa2 and Dppa4 are closely linked SAP motif genes restricted to pluripotent cells and the germ line. Stem Cells, 25, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1634/stemcells.2006-0269
- Matsuoka J, Yashiro M, Sakurai K, et al (2012). Role of the stemness factors SOX2, oct3/4, and NANOG in gastric carcinoma. J Surg Res, 174, 130-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2010.11.903
- Mayer W, Niveleau A, Walter J, et al (2000). Demethylation of the zygotic paternal genome. Nature, 403, 501-2.
- Monk M, Boubelik M, Lehnert S (1987). Temporal and regional changes in DNA methylation in the embryonic, extraembryonic and germ cell lineages during mouse embryo development. Development, 99, 371-82.
- Monk M, Hitchins M, Hawes S (2008). Differential expression of the embryo/cancer gene ECSA(DPPA2), the cancer/testis gene BORIS and the pluripotency structural gene OCT4, in human preimplantation development. Mol Hum Reprod, 14, 347-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/molehr/gan025
- Monk M, Holding C (2001). Human embryonic genes reexpressed in cancer cells. Oncogene, 20, 8085-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1205088
- Mottaghi-Dastjerdi N, Soltany-Rezaee-Rad M, Sepehrizadeh Z, et al (2014). Genome expression analysis by suppression subtractive hybridization identified overexpression of Humanin, a target gene in gastric cancer chemoresistance. Daru, 22, 14. https://doi.org/10.1186/2008-2231-22-14
- Raeisossadati R, Abbaszadegan MR, Moghbeli M, et al (2014). Aberrant expression of DPPA2 and HIWI genes in colorectal cancer and their impacts on poor prognosis. Tumour Biol.
- Reik W, Dean W, Walter J (2001). Epigenetic reprogramming in mammalian development. Science, 293, 1089-93. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1063443
- Takeno A, Takemasa I, Seno S, et al (2010). Gene expression profile prospectively predicts peritoneal relapse after curative surgery of gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol, 17, 1033-42. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-009-0854-1
- Tan IB, Ng I, Tai WM, et al (2012). Understanding the genetic basis of gastric cancer: recent advances. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol, 6, 335-41. https://doi.org/10.1586/egh.12.7
- Tchabo NE, Mhawech-Fauceglia P, Caballero OL, et al (2009). Expression and serum immunoreactivity of developmentally restricted differentiation antigens in epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer Immun, 9, 6.
- Tung PY, Varlakhanova NV, Knoepfler PS (2013). Identification of DPPA4 and DPPA2 as a novel family of pluripotencyrelated oncogenes. Stem Cells, 31, 2330-42. https://doi.org/10.1002/stem.1526
- Wu JY, Cheng CC, Wang JY, et al (2014). Discovery of tumor markers for gastric cancer by proteomics. PLoS One, 9, 84158. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0084158
- Yang J, Chai L, Fowles TC, et al (2008). Genome-wide analysis reveals Sall4 to be a major regulator of pluripotency in murine-embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 105, 19756-61. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0809321105
- Zabaleta J (2012). Multifactorial etiology of gastric cancer. Methods Mol Biol, 863, 411-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-61779-612-8_26